Provides different ways to handle the nuclear wastes (e.g., U-238) that are often in excess stockpiles.
Adds an incinerator, which is particularly useful for peaceful mode. Combat-addicted players can also use it to intentionally raise the pollution level (evolution factor) quickly!
Adds radiological warfare (optional), which is the more “evil” way to make use of the waste. Includes dirty bomb, decontamination capsule.
Too many depleted uranium (uranium-238) stockpiles?
Playing in peaceful mode?
Don't like Kovarex enrichment recipe, for more realism (or any other reasons)?
Like in the real-world, the uranium-238 (depleted uranium, DU) has little use. Although DU can be used as ingredients of a few endgame ammo, it is not required at large quantity. Very often you obtain DU much faster than its consumption for ammo, and the difference becomes even more significant if the game is in peaceful mode.
The only other way (in vanilla game) to consume DU is the Kovarex enrichment recipe. This recipe generates uranium-235 (enriched uranium) too easily, much more than what the power production needs. Many players (including me) feel using such an unrealistic recipe is cheaty, and trying to avoid it.
Unless you leave the uranium in its ore form untouched in patches, this excess DU problem is almost unavoidable once starting to make uranium fuel cells (for power production) and/or atomic bombs (for nuclear weaponry). This mod provides some different ways to handle these nuclear wastes.
Incineration may not be an effective way to get rid of wates. Not eco-friendly, not healthy to nearby inhabitants, etc., name a few reasons that it is surely not the best solution... Yet, it is an age-old method used by humans to get rid of wastes, especially when the cost of reprocessing/recycling is too high.
In Factorio world, there are no other humans. So what can stop you to do so? None!
This mod adds a special incinerator: radioactive waste incinerator. It is an "ideal" incinerator, in the sense that no ashes or residuals are left. Like IRL, wastes are turned into particulate matter, as pollutants released to the nature. It is represented as pollution in game.
Note that pollution generation results in rise of evolution factor. Combat-addicted players may actually take advantage of it, to intentionally bump up evolution factor, such that enemies of higher tiers will be spawned earlier and more! This is particularly useful if loot mods (e.g., Schall Alien Loot) are installed.
Pollution and evolution factor does no harm to games in peaceful mode, so players in such mode can burn as much DU (or other nuclear wastes) as you want.
Vanilla items including used up uranium fuel cell, uranium-238, and even uranium-235 can be put into the incinerator. Additional items can be added to the list by public function call provided by this mod.
Further information is available in the FAQ section.
This mod provides another way to turn these wastes into good use, though it is obviously nasty and evil to do so... Radioactive wastes can be filled into rockets to craft dirty bombs, which will leave the target area contaminated. Units and buildings will be damaged slowly, but the effect is very long-lasting so can be quite deadly.
It is not one-sided though. Players can also craft decontamination capsules, which is specially designed for cleaning up the radioactive contamination and removing debuffs from player characters. It is also effective to decontaminate other harms, such as the poison cloud released by poison capsule.
For users playing in peaceful mode or not in favour of such weapons, the whole radiological warfare branch can be easily disabled through mod options (under "Options" → "Mod settings" → "Startup").
This mod do not modify the existing content in the save game. This mod should be safe to be disabled/uninstalled at any time.
- Schall Uranium Processing is optional but useful, since it has a much more realistic uranium processing system with just a few simple changes. The incinerator also supports the new intermediates (uranium concentrate, low-enriched uranium).
In chronological order, from discussion section "joining" date:
Nuclear wastes from other mods, e.g., plutonium and thorium, are NOT automatically supported. There are two main reasons I have not done this myself, but leave it to mod authors (or their experienced players). 1/ There are so many nuclear mods, which can have name and settings changes at any time. 2/ Different elements and isotopes can have very different toxicity (thus radiation emissions). Their authors probably know their properties better than mine.
So if you want items of your favourite nuclear mods supported, please let the mod authors know of this page and the following.
To fellow modders:
This mod provides some public function calls at data stage, so additional items (wastes) can be easily supported through such calls. Please see the FAQ section on instructions.
- English (en)
- German / Deutsch (de)
- Traditional Chinese / 正體中文 (zh-TW)
- Brazilian Portuguese / Português Brasileiro (pt-BR) by NickFury23
Non-English locale are provided by Schall Language Pack.
If you like this mod, and would like to provide other translations, please do not hesitate to send me a message.
My Other Mods
- Schall Language Pack Non-Game-Changing
- Schall Transport Group Helper Mods
- Schall Circuit Group Helper Mods
- Schall Minor Tweaks General
- Schall Starting Inventory Cheats (Start)
- Schall Starting Tech Cheats (Start)
- Schall Radar Alignment Helper Mods
- Schall Map Tag Helper Mods
- Schall Ore Conversion Mining
- Schall Factorio Gear Manufacture / Non-Game-Changing
- Schall Belt Configuration Logistics
- Schall Belt Configuration × Krastorio Logistics
- Schall Belt Configuration × Bob's Logistics Logistics
- Schall Inserters Logistics
- Schall Railway Controller Trains
- Schall Overseas Railway Trains
- Schall Machine Scaling Manufacture / Power Production
- Schall Pipe Scaling Logistics / Power Production
- Schall Recipe Scaling Manufacture
- Schall Oil Fuel Oil / Power Production
- Schall Perpetual Machine Power Production
- Schall Uncraft Manufacture
- Schall Uranium Processing Manufacture / Power Production
- Schall Radioactive Waste Storage / Environment / Weapons
- Schall Virtual Signal Circuit Network / Blueprints
- Schall Lamp Contrast Circuit Network
- Schall Circuit Scaling Circuit Network
- Schall Primary Battery Armour
- Schall Suit Armour
- Schall Tank Platoon Weapons (Vehicles)
- Schall Ammo Turrets Weapons (Turrets)
- Schall Gun Pod Weapons (Equipment)
- Schall Recharging Weapon Weapons (Guns)
- Schall Land Mine Weapons (Mines)
- Schall Combat Robotics Weapons (Robots)
- Schall Armoured Train Trains / Weapons
- Schall Armoured Train: Nostalgia Trains / Non-Game-Changing
- Schall Alien Tech Weapons / Research
- Schall Artillery Weapons (Artillery)
- Schall Missile Command Weapons (Missiles)
- Schall Geowarfare Weapons (Missiles)
- Schall Geowarfare: Nokia Phone Weapons (Grenades)
- Schall Tank Woodcutting Mining (Vehicles)
- Schall Alien Mutation Enemies (Balancing)
- Schall Endgame Evolution Enemies
- Schall Alien Loot Enemies / Research / Manufacture
- Schall Remains & Pickup Enemies / Helper Mods
- Schall Pickup Tower Logistics / Helper Mods