Adds scaled up versions in different sizes for various pipes and pumps.
Designed for supporting scaled up machines from “Schall Machine Scaling” mod.
Includes pipe, pipe to ground, pump, offshore pump, heat pipe.
Troubled by pipes having low flow rates?
Flow rates still low even though using a lot of pumps?
Lots of pipes for nuclear power hurting the UPS?
This mod will help you a lot! Scaled up versions (called "overtiers") of various pipes and pumps are introduced. These wide pipes and pumps have much higher max flow rates, scaled like the machine overtiers in Schall Machine Scaling mod. Thosee high overtier nuclear reactors (and its heat exchangers and steam turbines) will also required these overtier offshore pumps, heat pipes to feed enough water and heat through those machines, in order to work to their full capabilities.
Each higher tier is exactly 4 pipes/pumps of its lower tier, in terms of flow rate, power consumption, or any other properties. The only difference is they are combined into a single pipe/pump, thus effectively reduce the number of entities on map. This ratio is exponential, meaning you will cut the total number of entities even further with very high tier machines. (For example, overtier +4 is exactly 256× of vanilla machine.)
The overtier pumps work even a bit better than that (e.g., 6.4× of vanilla pump instead of just 4× for "pump +1"), so they should have more than enough capabilities to move fluids within your factory.
For example, a "offshore pump +4" is effectively 256× vanilla offshore pump in terms of flow rate. If your megabase is currently having about 2000 vanilla offshore pump (along with pipes supplying water to the heat exchangers), with this mod you can replace these offshore pumps with just 8 "offshore pump +4"! It would be the best if you replace all the pipes with "pipe +4" as well, the UPS hit caused by fluid flow calculations should be minimized by a big margin!
The related entities should use the same overtier to take the best effect. In the above example, it would be the best to use "heat pipe +4", "heat exchanger +4", "steam turbine +4" (or "pump +4") as well.
The only exception is nuclear reactor, which should have 1 or 2 tier lower than the rest, to reduce the total number of entities to improve UPS.
For example, you can easily obtain 1.9 TW (yes, TERAWATT!) power from 4× nuclear reactor +6 (in 2×2 configuration), 2× offshore pump +7, 12× heat exchanger +7, 21× steam turbines +7, with various pipe +7 and heat pipe +7 to connect the entities.
More examples (with pictures and blueprints) are available in FAQ section.
Overtiers of heat pipes are only available if you have enabled Schall Machine Scaling mod, since they are meaningful only if you are using the overtiers of nuclear reactor and heat exchanger there.
Players may find the pipes (and the whole fluid system) do not work as what they expected. Unexpected low flow often comes from incorrect concepts.
Please see some in-depth documentations online to understand the Factorio fluid mechanics better.
Even if you are familar with vanilla fluid mechanics, this mod provides more than that. Following the below guidelines will help you master the use of overtier pipes and pumps.
- Avoid using larger pipes than you needed. A relatively "empty" (few fluid) pipe have low pressure, so barely any flow. Use a narrower/smaller pipe if you do not have that much fluid to fill. For example, when taking water input from a vanilla offshore pump, using pipe +3 will actually be slower than vanilla pipe. (Concept of fluid pressure is explained in the above-mentioned documentation.)
- Max pressure are scaled with the tier. For example, vanilla pipe has max pressure of 1. Pipe +1 has max pressure of 4. Pipe +n has max pressure of 4^n.
- Storage tanks (from Schall Machine Scaling) is the only exception. They always have max pressure of 1. Their base area are scaled instead, to provide the increased total capacity. (Concept of base area is explained in the above-mentioned documentation.)
- Use pumps to take fluid out of storage tanks, to ensure high flow. This is because storage tanks have large "base area", thus inherently low pressure by itself. Use pumps will force one-way flow, mitigating the pressure problem.
- Use matching tiers of entities (offshore pumps, pipes, pumps, etc.) very often gives the best result. Too large difference (e.g., excessive large pipes from a small pump) almost ensures less flow than you could ever imagine.
- It is recommended to connect with a high tier pump, when having to transfer fluid from low tier pipe (and all storage tanks) to high tier pipe. This is caused by the difference is maximum pressure. Fluid in low tier pipe does not have enough pressure to fill high tier pipe, so cannot use to its full capability.
- Pressure drops along a line (sequential) of pipes. Use pipe to ground (counts as two fluidboxes, disregarding actual distance) to reduce the length, or use pump to keep pressure high.
- Avoid mixing low base level entities (e.g., steam turbine) with high base level entities (e.g., pipes). A classic negative example is "steam turbine - pipe - steam turbine". It requires extra pressure in the first steam turbine to reach the second steam turbine. The pipe essentially acts as a barrier here, lower the flow rate. In this case, try to place them right next to each other, or use a pump in place of the pipe. (Concept of base level is explained in the above-mentioned documentation.)
This mod does not modify any existing content to the save files. This mod should be safe to be disabled/uninstalled at any time.
- Fluid wagon connector of overtier pumps do not work. It seems the fluid wagon detection and connection is somehow hard-coded in vanilla pump, I cannot get it working on overtier pumps. But since fluid wagon has quite small capacity, while vanilla pump is already very fast to load empty wagon / unload full wagon (just merely a few seconds), so I do not feel much need to fix it. Simply use vanilla pump to handle fluid wagons.
- Schall Machine Scaling is optional but highly recommended, since the high flow rates pipes and pumps are only useful if you have machines really need that capability. Use together to improve UPS of your megabase even further!
- Schall Machine Modification is optional but useful, since this mod provides high throughput fluid boxes to the overtiers over those modified machines.
- Schall Starting Inventory is optional but useful, since it allows adjusting starting invenotry, like some offshore pump +2 and pipe +2 as initial items.
- English (en)
- German / Deutsch (de)
- Traditional Chinese / 正體中文 (zh-TW)
- Simplified Chinese / 简体中文 (zh-CN)
- Brazilian Portuguese / Português Brasileiro (pt-BR) by NickFury23
- Russian / Русский (ru) by Dragonling
Non-English locale are provided by Schall Language Pack.
If you like this mod, and would like to provide other translations, please do not hesitate to send me a message. Corrections on spelling and grammatical mistakes are welcomed as well.
- Thanks to Linver and mod Fluid Must Flow. His mod has inspired me and make me realize that pipes can use larger size as well (instead of just vanilla 1×1)! Yet this mod is built from scratch using vanilla code, without using his code.
- Thanks to GotLag and mod Flow Control. His code has some efficient part that can help improve my code a bit, in some early pre-release stage. Those parts are finally unused in my first release version 0.17.0, but still I have to thank for granting me the kind permission.
My Other Mods
- Schall Language Pack Non-Game-Changing
- Schall Transport Group Helper Mods
- Schall Circuit Group Helper Mods
- Schall Minor Tweaks General / Balancing
- Schall Starting Inventory Cheats (Start)
- Schall Starting Tech Cheats (Start)
- Schall Radar Alignment Helper Mods
- Schall Map Tag Helper Mods
- Schall Ore Conversion Mining
- Schall Factorio Gear Manufacture / Non-Game-Changing
- Schall Belt Configuration Logistics
- Schall Belt Configuration × Krastorio Logistics
- Schall Belt Configuration × Bob's Logistics Logistics
- Schall Inserters Logistics
- Schall Autolinked Chest Logistics
- Schall Railway Controller Trains / Info
- Schall Overseas Railway Trains
- Schall Entity Inspector Info / Manufacture
- Schall Machine Scaling Manufacture / Power Production
- Schall Pipe Scaling Logistics / Power Production
- Schall Recipe Scaling Manufacture
- Schall Machine Modification Manufacture / Power Production
- Schall Modules Manufacture / Balancing
- Schall Module Placement Helper Mods / Manufacture
- Schall Satellite Controller Info / Manufacture
- Schall Oil Fuel Oil / Power Production
- Schall Perpetual Machine Power Production
- Schall Uncraft Manufacture
- Schall Uranium Processing Manufacture / Power Production
- Schall Radioactive Waste Storage / Environment / Weapons
- Schall Virtual Signal Circuit Network / Blueprints
- Schall Lamp Contrast Circuit Network
- Schall Circuit Scaling Circuit Network
- Schall Primary Battery Armour
- Schall Suit Armour
- Schall Tank Platoon Weapons (Vehicles)
- Schall Arachnid Platoon Weapons (Vehicles)
- Schall Ammo Turrets Defense
- Schall Gun Pod Weapons (Equipment)
- Schall Recharging Weapon Weapons (Guns)
- Schall Land Mine Weapons (Mines)
- Schall Combat Robotics Weapons (Robots)
- Schall Armoured Train Trains / Weapons
- Schall Armoured Train: Nostalgia Trains / Non-Game-Changing
- Schall Alien Tech Weapons / Big Mods
- Schall Artillery Weapons (Artillery)
- Schall Missile Command Weapons (Missiles)
- Schall Geowarfare Weapons (Missiles)
- Schall Geowarfare: Nokia Phone Weapons (Grenades)
- Schall Tank Woodcutting Mining (Vehicles)
- Schall Alien Mutation Enemies / Balancing
- Schall Endgame Evolution Enemies / Info
- Schall Alien Loot Enemies / Mining / Manufacture
- Schall Remains & Pickup Enemies / Helper Mods
- Schall Pickup Tower Logistics / Helper Mods