Krastorio 2

An overhaul mod focusing on end-game technologies and moderately increased complexity.

Overhaul
6 months ago
0.18 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Trains Combat Armor Mining Fluids Logistic network Manufacturing Power Storage

g Lag/Freezing every few seconds

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I'm running the latest versions of krastorio 2 and Factorio (1.1.5) at the time of writing.

I'm only using a few qol mods such as time tools, to-do list, base planner and even distribution etc..

Krastorio 2 was added before generating a new map to test.

The game freezes every few seconds (5-10) making it an unpleasant experience (my hardware is capable of running really heavy softwares).

I'm expecting the topic to be looked into as it seems to be only caused by this specific mod (I turned off every single other mod at some point and the case still occurred).

No crashes hopefully yet.

Edit: The freezing/lag starts with the start of the game, it is still present before building anything at all or even mining the first resources.
Edit2: I didn't modify any the of mod settings, running it on the default settings.

Linver β˜†
3 years ago

Something in ur configuration is wrong, I can't understand why from this description but, I can grant u that the mod is working without any expensive UPS process, more if u have start a new game, nothing on map can freeze the game, at least from K2...

3 years ago

How do you suggest I debug this to find the problem?

Linver β˜†
3 years ago

Assuming the base game work properly, removing mods one by one to identify the cause.

3 years ago

I did this, ended up with krastorio 2 by it self, and the lag still occured every few seconds, infact removing the mods didn't help at all.
Don't get me wrong but normally I run 200+ mods and still get 60 fps/ups.

Linver β˜†
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I'm pretty sure there are thousands of players that play K2 alone or with other mods actually without noticing anything related to this, me in first person during mod tests don't finding anything like that.
I'm sorry but I can't help u with the only informations that u give me, I can't debug a problem without any hit of the cause.

Do some try, like:
Start a new game with K2 alone, and see if the problem still.
using the debug mode enabled from F5, u can see how much UPS the mod is consuming, usually:

K2 use from 0.004-0.010, that is umpercitible, will use some ups while building large bluerpint or throwing a anti creep capsule, but the game will return to the normal state in max 20-30 seconds (anyway should, usually, still umpercitible).

In the example u will see that the creative mod use 26 time more resources than K2, and the game still smooth.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Thank you for your response, but what I noticed is that the third number next to frames each few seconds spikes up to 800+ then returns to 17-18, which appears to be affected by flip, krastorio 2 is indeed not related to this issue, but this occurs only when krastorio 2 is on. https://prnt.sc/w4hee6

Linver β˜†
3 years ago

I ask to other modders
That flip value should refer to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_buffering#Page_flipping

Try to play with "normal" graphics instead of "high", and/or with/without v-sync, and see if the problem lightens up, and so u have found the cause

3 years ago

I tried high/normal graphics and v-sync on/off all of the 4 cases, it didn't work, I'm desperate to be honest, and out of tricks, do you know any forum/discord server that could help me handle this?, meanwhile I'll try to do a complete reinstall of the game.

Linver β˜†
3 years ago

For sure on Factorio discord server or Factorio forum someone can give u more informations. I'm sorry to not be able to help u more but I have a limited knowledge of game engine.
Discord server: https://discord.gg/7wwP36bT
Forum: https://forums.factorio.com/

3 years ago

Based on my experience, I have i5 4th gen laptop with a single channel 8 gigs RAM, while the memory never used more than 7 gigs, i suspect it was a memory bandwidth/latency problem. So after buying RAM another it runs so much smoother. Maybe helps.

3 years ago

Have you found a solution to this issue?

I am also having this issue on a sufficiently-specced PC (5950x, 3090, 64 GB RAM). Tried the sync and graphics settings as well, and the only debug option changing is "Flip" which obviously always spikes during lag because of what it is. There are no obvious UPS spikes elsewhere; garbage collection is up there but nowhere near the level that would be needed to create stutter like this.

3 years ago

Guys, that sounds like a pagefile dump. You're running out of memory and your computer is dumping stuff into pagefile, which causes a hitch. Get more memory, reduce your memory footprint by closing other programs, or reduce the number of memory-heavy mods you're running.

3 years ago

In my case, it is not related to PC specs (see above).

Unchecking the Graphics setting "Use flip presentation model" seems to fix it for me. Not sure why the issue doesn't reproduce outside of K2 though.

3 years ago

I have the same problem, when I activate Krastorio 2 mod, I get lags every 3-5 seconds. In comparison Bobs mods are running smoothly. Unchecking the Graphics setting "Use flip presentation model" doesnt fix it for me sadly.

3 years ago

For all of you having lag, does disabling biter generation fix the problem? It could be the krastorio biter creep generator causing the lag.

3 years ago

Hi, thanks for sharing this issue and the solution.
I was suffering the same lag every 5-10sec only with this mod. And when I disabled "Use flip presentation model" it fixed the problem.