Krastorio 2

An overhaul mod focusing on end-game technologies and moderately increased complexity.

Overhaul
6 months ago
0.18 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Trains Combat Armor Mining Fluids Logistic network Manufacturing Power Storage

g Sound hurts my ears

3 years ago

First things first - this mod is just awesome! Thank you for many many many nights and hours to replay factorio once more :)

But I have one hurtful issue with the cusom sounds you use for the Krastorio2 buildings.
First of all, all the new building sounds are much louder than the vanilla ones.

For example the Biomass factory makes an extreamly deep, bassy sound. These frequences reaaally hurt in my ears. I already turned down the ambient sound volume to < 8%. But still I can't stay near these buildings for long. The advanced research building has a similar effect on my hearing... I'm writing this after around 10 minutes standing aside the research facility and my ears hurt :(

I have quite good studio headphones that will give you unfiltered and undampened sound. Maybe most people can't hear this?

Is it just me? Someone out there with a similar problem?
And is there a way to reduce the Krastorio sounds even further without loosing the vanilla sounds?
Thx!

Linver β˜†
3 years ago

I'm modifying some sounds this week but.. this is not a bug, if u have a bad sound equalization in ur computer is not our fault, if u have problem with low frequencies u can: buy new headphones with higher ohms, buy a better/dedicated audio card, low ur general volume or low ur game entity volume. For the next release I will decrease only the volume of the singularity lab.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Thanks for your response.
I'm not so sure if it's my hardware...
I've got a Beyerdynamic DT1770 PRO (250 Ohm) Hadphone paired to an external FiiO E10K Olympus 2 amp here...
This should be a little bit better then the casual gaming gear.
And I don't think it's only the low fequencies... I'm not a sound engineer, but there could be very high frequencies involved, too...
Is there a way to find and open a sound file of Krastorio so that I might look at the audio spectrum?

In addition... I'm reading the changelog of 1.0.13 right now:
- Improved bio lab sound (turn down low-frequency sounds and improved quality, thanks to GeneralEcchi).
- Reduced of 17% singularity lab volume.
This might be what I was talking about :)

In general, I'd love to see some more volume normalization in upcoming patches, so that the Krastorio effects are as loud as the vanilla ones. So you can evenly control them in the ingame options.

3 years ago

I too find that the K2 buildings are far too loud compared to vanilla buildings. This leaves me with two unsatisfying options: Turn down the game to the point that I can't hear vanilla buildings but K2 buildings aren't killing my ears anymore, or suffer through extremely loud K2 buildings so that I can hear vanilla ones.

That really is my only gripe with the mod, honestly.

Linver β˜†
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Oh 0BanZai0, I use Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (250 Ohm), I'm a fan of Beyerdynamic too, I have also a FiiO E12A ahahahh but when I'm at home I plug them in my Creative Sound Blaster ZxR audio board, FiiO amplificators are good when u are out but.. I feel the difference with a amplification connected to electricity, also I don't know if ur FiiO have the same toggle button of mine but there's a dedicated one to change low frequency in particular.
Anyway with our set is normal "hear" a bit more "weak sound" that with normal headphones (32 Ohm), in fact I keep attention to not reduce sound quality when I mix sounds, and usually I don't keep analog volume (as it can be called analog) over 25-30%.
Talking about changelog, I decide to solve all historic complaints at once, but if I didn't find a way to improve the quality of bio lab sound I would have left it as it was, maybe a little less louder. I hope this patch will fit ur expected sound quality :)

JacG, depend from the point of view, the sound do his part in them more impressive:
- Is louder than vanilla? Yes (a bit).
- Is exaggeratedly louder? No.

3 years ago

I have to disagree. It IS much louder. The grinders and singularity labs are particular offenders, making me need to turn off my speakers whenever they are nearby. They are 3x louder or more, it seems like. Even if the buildings were only 50% louder, it would be far too much. At most, they should deviate by a few % if they really "need" to stand out. As it is, this is a serious problem for my ability to play with sound on, which means I tend to miss a lot of alerts and notifications.

Like I said, this is my only complaint about the mod. Everything else is just peachy; I love it. But the sound kills me.

Linver β˜†
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I'm sorry for u. Anyway u are free to make a plugin mod where sounds have a lower volume, each sound can have a fixed base volume setted on start-up, in their prototype. Each building in the working sound use this definition that can be easily modified:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Sound

3 years ago

I've played Krastorio quite a bit, and never thought sounds were too loud, or outright hurting.

Did you consider you might need to check your hearing? (Really)

3 years ago

Thank you for the tip Linver, I did not realize I could do that. I modified the Krastorio files (and made backup copies of my modifications and the originals) as that took less time than figuring out how to create / where to put a plugin mod, but I was able to get the volume down to a level that is better for me. Just as an aside, the crusher's working and idle volume was set to 1.5x. 50% louder is more than "a bit" louder.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

@Linver - welcome to the inofficial Beyerdynamic lovers club :)
... And yeah. My fiio isn't a portable one. Its a USB DAC Amp which gets a clean power stream from my mainboard. And yes, I too have the "boost" option to boost low frequencies. This option helped a bit with the ultra low sound of the biolab. Thanks for reducing the biolab volume. This was a good step :)

Unfortunately I have to go with JacG's opinion on sound volume. My friend, which I'm playing Krastorio 2 right now, has totally other hardware and he also had to reduce the ingame volume for the ambient sound to around 8-10%. He also says that the Krastorio sounds are much louder than the valilla ones :(
Sorry!

@JacG - might you please share your mod pleaaase!!!

Linver β˜†
3 years ago

I give to this more importance than usual and:

Seems that is very not important to the community, usually this kind of question receive a sort of 50 answers in a day,
and was not only ignored, more is negative, also who think that the volume is too loud, want a reduction of 5%, so..
Me and Krastor make K2 a community driven mod, and I will continue to be consistent with this.

3 years ago

I would also like to note that besides the grinders, tesla coils are very loud too, to the point that I rather decided to just dismantle them.
But good that I've seen this thread, because I totally forgot about the tesla coils, and now I have a setup for modifying the mod so it won't be hard to make the changes.

JacG: not sure if you are familiar with it, but you could use git to make updating the mod less painful. with it it's easier to merge your changes with the official updates

Linver β˜†
3 years ago

In the version 1.0.15 sound volumes was be lowered, if isn't enough I can't do this more.