Krastorio 2

An overhaul mod focusing on end-game technologies and moderately increased complexity.

Overhaul
6 months ago
0.18 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Trains Combat Armor Mining Fluids Logistic network Manufacturing Power Storage

g Nitrogen way too expensive?

3 years ago

I'm enjoying my first playthrough with Krastorio 2 (or any mod really after getting all steam achievements done), and started making yellow science. I decided to make the rocket fuel from ammonia.
However halfway through the design I realized I would need about 40 nitrogen condensers for just 25 science per minute, which was really unexpected. That makes nitrogen more expensive than hydrogen condensing, when it should actually be cheaper than oxygen, which has a similar boiling point but nitrogen abundance is much higher.

Am I missing a cheaper way to make nitrogen? Making rocket fuel this way seems just too unbalanced, is this intended? Or is the slow production time for nitrogen a bug? Compared to 5 seconds for oxygen it would be more realistic with maybe 2 or 3 seconds instead of 30 seconds.

3 years ago

I would like to know too, the only way I can see of producing it is with the atmospheric condenser which produces 1 a second!

3 years ago

It is probably a balance thing, to encourage you to use chlorine or light oil for it instead of relying on nothing but atmospheric condensers for rocket fuel production. Less finite resources required but a much larger footprint as the trade off.
You should have a bunch of chlorine anyway because it is needed to mine rare metals and is also a bi-product of lithium processing so using that and/or light oil is probably much easier. The only thing nitrogen is used for anyway is ammonia and ammonia is probably better used to make nitric acid.