Krastorio 2

An overhaul mod focusing on end-game technologies and moderately increased complexity.

Overhaul
a month ago
0.18 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Trains Combat Armor Mining Fluids Logistic network Manufacturing Power Storage

g [Base game limitation] Another post about more than 60 recipe per tick

4 years ago

So I'm running a Krastorio mega-base with a friend and we're in late game and I've discovered an issue that broke one of my production lines:

Basically, the game can't keep up with a fully beaconed Advanced Assembly Machine if the machine runs at over 60 cycles per second. Example:

I went to a new game in cheat mode and created an Advanced Assembling Machine producing iron gear wheels. I loaded the machine with 4 Mk 3 Production Modules, 16 regular beacons and 11 Singularity Beacons, each with Mk 3 Speed Modules. I then loaded the machine with two incoming purple belts of iron plates and three outgoing purple belts to an empty warehouse.

The hover text says that this machine should be running at 83.25 crafting speed, (or +1640% from modules), which lines up with my math. Base recipe for iron gear wheels is 1 iron plate to 1 iron gear wheel in 0.5s or 120/min. This set up should then produce 12083.251.4(production module multiplier)=13,986/min. However, the production graph shows only 7.6K/min being produced. I kept removing beacons and comparing actual production to predicted production. Only when I get the crafting multiplier down to 30 did the machine run as expected. When I tried the same experiment with Empty Barrels, which has a crafting time of 1 sec, the machine worked properly when the crafting speed was at 60 or below.

From what I can tell, this limit has nothing to do with the number of items being output or the multiplier itself, but the number of production cycles the machine is running per second. In all of my experiments, the machine runs as expected as long as it's running no more than 60 production cycles per second.

My suggestion for a fix with minimal impact is this. Change all recipes with a crafting speed of less than 1.5s to a crafting time of 1.5s or higher while also multiplying the output and input ratios by the same factor. For instance, instead of iron gear wheels producing 1 gear per 1 iron plate per 0.5 sec, produce 3 gears per 3 iron plates every 1.5s. This way production lines remain the same and late game machines will work as expected. If you don't want to change the base recipe, perhaps there could be an elternative recipe only the late game machines could run.

Thank you for this mod!! It's the most fun I've had in Factorio in years and it's kept me and my buddy occupied during quarantine. I can't thank you enough. This is my favorite mod I've run into in Factorio and you guys deserve a ton of praise and credit.

Linver β˜†
4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

This is a very know base game limitation, Factorio developers have choise to NOT FIX THIS, so, don't blame us.
Also, we don't go to destroy all base game balancing or making the early game slow to let the end game users to be able to beacon all better, I'm sorry.

If u want really beacon all at the best as possible, try to download some mod that add recipes for beacon setup.

4 years ago

Ah, thank you for the explanation. First time really diving into Factorio mods, so while I know a bit about the UPS limits, I hadn't run up against it like this in vanilla before. I'll try to seek out a mod that adjusts for this, or just keep doing the math :) Sorry for the repeat post. I searched but hadn't seen anything else on it, or at least anything I knew was related. Thanks again,

Linver β˜†
4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Look on the Factorio forum, there's many post about this. For example this post is about our mod: Is there a game engine limit to how fast an assembler can craft?

4 years ago

I ran into this issue when maxing out on beacons with advanced assemblers. Anything with a craft speed faster than 60/s will cause trouble. I had to use Schall Recipe Scaling and in settings for "machines using scaled recipes", set it to "assembling-machine-3, advanced-assembling-machine, advanced-chemical-plant, advanced-furnace". And I set recipe multiplier to 20.

Linver, as Judacles suggested, the recipe numbers (craft amount and craft time) for recipes with craft time less than 2s can simply be multiplied by 2 or more and it wouldn't change the balance at all. No one's existing factory would be changed. I don't see how the early game would change.

Linver β˜†
4 years ago

The hand-crafting time will be delayed a lot.

Anyway change from 1s to 2s don't solve the problem, need recipes with sort of 10s of crafting to be sure to avoid the problem.

I will think in future if add a tool to solve this problem, anyway I will not fix this in that way, because this should be a problem on base game level, not on mods.