Krastorio 2

An overhaul mod focusing on end-game technologies and moderately increased complexity.

Overhaul
a month ago
0.18 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Trains Combat Armor Mining Fluids Logistic network Manufacturing Power Storage

g Comment on 0.9.12 ( Removal of Sand/Sulfur Matter Recipes)

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi,
I really appreciate your effort to make K2 a balanced and fun game (it is already fun, and I have no real experience with balancing)

I like 99.99% of the stuff you are doing in K2, but I really don't like the removal of Sand & Sulfur to matter.

While I agree with the removal of "matter loops", i strongly dislike "void crushing" as it feels like a bad thing to do with valuable resources....
With, for example Immersite Crushing creating excess Sand, I have to address excess sand by either creating a priority distribution chain or by filtering the sand to crystals which can then be "mattered" again.

Whith K2 simplifying a lot of the processes in relation to K1 it seems weird to have to do sand filtration again just to convert sand to matter again.
( If it would be a gameplay decision i would be fine with it, but just as a balancing/exploit fix it seems wrong)

Wouldn't the more reasonable solution be to just turn down the conversion-rate of sand by like 10x to make it inefficient by itself, but to have at least some use for disposal ?

(Argumentation is mostly focused on sand, but base reasoning also applies to sulfur)

Keep up the good work !

Kind regards,
Nicolas

4 years ago

I would agree with Karoschel. At the later stage of the game, I always have too much excess sand from immersite production. I don't think it's good game design to force you to void/crush.
Another recommendation would be to not produce extra sand OR create recipe for landfill that takes sand. That's what I usually do with uranium processing to just convert it all into landfill as it does not fill up that quickly and you always need it.

4 years ago

Fully agree with both of you. Kind regards.

4 years ago

I am not that far int he mod yet but from reading the changelog I agree. My initial thought is to not update yet. That cheaty mechanics might be true but the tradeoff would be power right? If that is the case I do not see an issue warranting such a change.

4 years ago

Ok. what if the simple way to avoid cheaty is correct conversion rate sand-matter to prevent addition matter. I mean calculate that process sand-matter-stone-sand and decrease this ratio. I think only one thing to keep in the mind is crusher with 4 productivity modules and how this thing changes the chain.
My minds (not sure how precise i am): 30 sand to 10 stone, 10 stone to 34,65 sand. As i said there is a way to re-calculate ratios OR add matter stabilizer to matter-to-stone recipe with lower chance to return non-charged stabilizer(e.g. 50) OR return back only sand-to-matter recipe to allow one-way transformations. Hope my minds will help you

Linver β˜†
4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi Karoschel, if u are able to construct enugh crasher to destroy all sand and manage all generated pollution, well u have play a different way than redistribute excess resources. We don't give to players a constraints to "how play the mod", we leave different ways, so, all players can play how they prefer, no one tell u to void excess or manage it, u have to choise what make u enjoy more the mod.

About the matter loops, I'm sorry but is very difficult balance the matter mechanics because productivity make it unbalanced, anyway we want avoid any kind of exploit, no matter the cost. Sulfur and sand to matter will be never re-enabled.

4 years ago

Liviner, don't want to seem tactless but you said you leave different ways to play but in fact you removing some ways to play, so there's the only one way is to crush excess sand. And where's the other ways?
Btw never say never. Really appreciate of your work but this thing disoriented me.

4 years ago

how about make landfill from sand option?

4 years ago

That's an interesting idea.

Linver β˜†
4 years ago

Hi hacksocto, I said that we leave different ways to play BUT we want avoid any kind of exploit, please read the answer completely. Anyway if u want clarifications, for us exploit are bugs, no ways to play.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi Linver,
thanks for your reply and for sharing your thoughts on this issue.
While i not really agree with all details provided I am happy with understanding your reasoning and a definitive clarification like "wont't fix"
Thanks for taking the time and considering my Comment.

(btw. the landfill from sand was a good idea, not a perfect solution to this issue but a still a nice QOL improvement)

Keep up the good work.
Kind regards,
Nico

4 years ago

"We don't give to players a constraints to "how play the mod", we leave different ways, so, all players can play how they prefer, no one tell u to void excess or manage it, u have to choise what make u enjoy more the mod."

Proceeds to tell all players that "exploits aren't ways to play".

Excuse me sir, but I think I'd like to make that decision myself. Speedrunners exploit games all the time, and it's viewed as valid. Further, "exploit" is extremely nebulous. I cannot civilly express my disappointment with the decision to disable sand-to-matter.

4 years ago

I see that sand to landfill has been added, so I think this makes it easy to get rid of large amounts of sand for useful purposes. If you need to create matter, there is already so many other ways of doing it from all other resources.