Krastorio 2

An overhaul mod focusing on end-game technologies and moderately increased complexity.

Overhaul
9 days ago
0.18 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Trains Combat Armor Mining Fluids Logistic network Manufacturing Power Storage

i Longer Endgame?

4 years ago

I really like this mod, I just wish the endgame was longer. I never got around to using any of the fancy late tier buildings.
Maybe the Intergalactic Transmitter could consume a lot of expensive products while charging and produce tons of pollution?

4 years ago

I wish for longer endgame as well but it should come in form of more complexity added instead of materials consuming more prior materials. Of course it would be easy to have stuff consume lots of AI cores & energy control units but we already have lots of sources for energy (it was not incredible hard to craft 20 antimatter reactors), to fight biters, use resources more efficient (bigger buildings = more productivity modules) and basically everything else.
Take Bob's and Angel's for example, are they popular mods that make fun? I say yes. But does their complexity only come from adding more materials and intermediate products? I believe so; but is just provides you something to do, not really engagement.
Space exploration does endgame very nicely - you reach space and suddenly you are back to square one. It provides you a new environment and to understand space science even for your second playthrough is fun and challenging.

4 years ago

I completely agree. It seems a rush to get to the end game and then you have so many resources and so much energy and no other goal, outside of more infinite science.
Few suggestions:
- add new science card for infinite science that is required after level X. This would require all the new fancy resources - opening intergalactic transmitter "brings" back biter aliens that start changing DNA of existing biters to make them more aggressive and stronger, thus need for stronger weapons (need level 2 and 3 laser current that is 2x2 and longer range)

4 years ago

I would like to see some sort of prestige / rebirth / new game + feature.
For example: You finish the game by building a certain structure and it takes you to another planet with a stack of your items and provides you an incredible powerful building of your choice you can center an aspect of your base around. Like a huge, powerful forge with lots of module slots and high speed. Something similar for assembling, science, mining, science, drones would be possible. Narrative wise (if you care for story) it could be a building from an ancient race blah blah blah...
Point is to add replayability, like those rouge-lites or idle games handle this.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I spent more than 2000 hours of my time to creating FMF, KL and K2. And the main part of the K2 is ready. The mod has a free license and if someone wants to expand K2, then there will be no problems. I definitely won’t do it. If you want to expand the game and start from scratch on new planets, then use SE. We cannot do everything. It is impossible.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

--

4 years ago

I agree with Krastor, maybe combining Krastorio with another mod like "Space Exploration" is the best way to go if you want to add additional gameplay at the end.

I was however more looking for a good reason to build a megabase and actually use all those nice advanced buildings and recepies Krastorio provides. In the past I used "SpaceX" (Space Extension) for this, which required you to research some very (very) expensive FTL-Techs at the end. I believe the simplest way to achieve this would be to introduce an additional step to the Intergalactic Transmitter, which requires you to insert some amount of high-level items before it starts charging. This could be dependent on your selected difficulty and thus extend the late game stage however you like.

4 years ago

i like the endgame. sure, you can always have more techs, more buildings, more resources, more science packs, but there isnt really a point anymore when there are no new mechanics introduced. like vanilla, there has to be an end eventually and after that you can only optimize and do infinite techs and thats it.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

This is not a Krastorio problem, but a vanilla problem.

Imo Krastio is factorio as it SHOULD be. I find it very unfortunate, that the factorio developer rely on mods so heavily and refuse to create content themself.
Currently Factorios content is hardcapped by the vanilla version endgame (and softcapped by construction robots) which only offers infinite research.
Adding more and more stuff, will not improve lategame in a meaningful way but will make the game unpleasant to play due to its overboarding complexity. Krastorio 2's amount of "quantitative content" is perfectly fine. Quality content can imo only be created by the factorio devs(because it requires programming).

If you want better lategame, go complain on the offical forum. Krastor is right, it is impossible to do everything. He is a modder, not a game programmer. Why should he do everything?

4 years ago

Oh guys don't get this wrong, this was not meant to criticize Krastor. I cannot imaging how much effort it is to write code, draw sprites, create compatibility with other mods, read and reply threads and still improve this. After all that K2 really delivered. Krastorio's endgame is fine and I more or less rushed through it. This was more to brainstorm possible ideas for and issues with endgame.

4 years ago

I completely agree with Scherazade. While it would be nice to add extra end of game content, this mod is what I'd view as factorio 2.0 or what the game should be.

4 years ago

Some guy speedrun Valina game in 2 hours! I don't think it's a problem with Krastorio 2. Love the mod!

4 years ago

Sure, some guys speedrun the game in 2 hours.
Other guys build what they call a megabase, based on trains, drones or whatever. And others again crank up difficulty by playing with biters, a ribbon world or a mod like Sea Block. This all makes sense and gives those guys a feeling of accomplishment.
For some people that won't work; we enjoy endgame and if there was more endgame we would play through it and ask for even more endgame. For me personally New Game + and taking some incentives over to reach a "next stage" is the thing. Like building a starter base and mall to clear the path to "megabase".
Hopefully I do not sound ungrateful for what we have and the great achievement that Krastorio is, while developers focus on how beacons and pumps look, audio and rendering trees; again with respect for giving us Factorio and how much fun it is.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

an integegration or varation of SpaceX would be really interesting. say that operating the intergalactic tranceiver gives you access to space ship research, so now you can start researching an FTL drive, starship components and start assembling the ship with which you can finally leave the planet.

--- and then you crash with that, giving you a new game + mode xD
I'm thinking you keep all your current tech but lose pretty much everything else, plus maybe a few extra starter goodies, and every time you 'reset' you get a significant reduction in infinite tech price.

4 years ago

Hi, I've just created a companion mod for Krastorio2 which basically does what I suggested in my original post. So if you are like me and need a fun reason to build your next mega-base with Krastorio2, you can check it out here:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/krastorio2_extended_endgame