A Factorio industrial overhaul with true orefields, real ore processing, metallurgy, hydrometallurgy, petrochemistry, catalysts, gases, waste handling, and advanced materials.
Large total conversion mods.
Map generation and terrain modification.
New Ores and resources as well as machines.
Things related to oil and other fluids.
Related to roboports and logistic robots.
Furnaces, assembling machines, production chains.
Changes to power production and distribution.
Soo I noticed there's a few ores that don't offer any meaningful difference.
Say for copper, you can use Chalcopyrite, Bornite, or Malachite and it's the same everything. Same buildings (works for me), same output, same crafting time, etc. So currently all those other ores are doing is adding more headache and burling the line of what does what. As currently you need to account for 6 "versions" of each ore. (3 grades and the dry / wet version). Which isn't super hard but then you add those other 2 in and now I have 18 lines I need to have to handle each possible ore imput.
Then copy the same smelting layout for each of the 3 different "copper" ores.
it's also the same for iron with Herm / Mag outside it needing a magnetic sorter.
I don't know if you have a plan for each ore in the future or not, but if not then in their current form all it's really doing is adding needless work for no reason.
Not sure if you should merge those 3 ores into one till you have reason to add more back in. But that might break map gen or something? Idk how that works for this game.
Maybe even something simple if you have future plans for them where one is just really rare, but has way higher yield per ore? Then have it output the same basic pre copper / iron stuff. (like hem or malachite) so then once it's crushed it can be feed into a standard smelting row. Basically keeping the different ore crushing step, but unifying the 2 iron / 3 copper into one smelting chain vs the 2 / 3.
Oh and semi related, can you add back in the low grade to primary ore crusher stuff? The low grade ores going only to crushed kinda broke me and Shadows ore lines. I kinda fixed it, but would be nice to have the old one as well back. Then can have all ore grades merge into one "crushed primary ore" bus that gets feed as needed. As leave the current right to crushed in, but add in the low grade one as well. So anyone who fixed post change doesn't have to redo it again lol.
Also this is a bug report, but on the topic of ores the "Mine Dewatering Station" building is incorrectly sized. It's model in game is larger than it's "hit-box" by 1 title in each direction. Still works fine, but it looks rather silly.
Just gonna add a misc bug finds of mine to this post, though I guess I could just make a thread that I stick to with making those comments...
Waste Treatment Plant pollution %
this is mostly prompted by the 'ash mineral separation' and 'ash recovery' recipes, one of them is 35% pollution the other one does not carry a modifier
this is a wider thing, I do like the pollution % as a modifier, simply seems like it's not always applied, ofc 100% pollution wouldn't need to be mentioned, but thought I'd mention it if it's an intended thing or not
Electrolyzer graphics
this specifically applies to brine separation, when active the graphics break and jiggle, also it is somewhat unaligned with the hitbox when in passive state from my experience
*Brine (I hate brine I ha-) chlorine and hydrogen are both unventable, sodium hydroxide which can only be made via brine is needed for things that don't require either, this is my logistics skill issue (I do solve it in most cases dw), but sometimes what can and cannot be vented is somewhat odd I guess? also discharging surplus water isn't a thing but that's one of the easiest deadlocks to solve so it's not like it needs to be there (and there are other mods that solve this ofc)
Industrial Fuel Boiler oddity
I understand why it's this way, and it's easier this way. I wouldn't want it changed. But it is a very weird. Namely, X-fired steam rising is a process that consumes variable amount of fuel for set amount of steam and variable amount of flue gas (and pollution %)
There are two things that are odd about this process:
-This process required electricity, a further tax and brownout danger, no issue there makes sense for machinery to use some electricity to operate, but odd due to the fact that other (vanilla) boilers don't. I assume this is a complexity of recipe making flue gas and it changing depending on type of fuel, which ties into the other issue
-Fuel value, almost all oil/gas products have fuel value listed but it doesn't really inform the player of their efficiency for burning or nothing can actually consume it for fuel. I would guess that consuming many many units of gas as fuel would be a pain from ups and mod side of few and don't see a reason to change current form, but it is somewhat odd how this value is shown and is unused. And also means that 30MJ of gas gives power equal to around 6.75MJ of burnable fuel (without counting electricity tax of inserters/boiler). Not complaining, the buffs given to gas powered plants are great and I'm happy about them, and it is quite good source of power, just an oddity of user information we get.
Roll copper sheet
actually that's just a question, this is intended for just copper sheet with copper plate byproduct? Either way I just deadlock on too much copper sheet when I need copper plates, should have just used the blister copper to plates bypass at this point...
Idea for pollution/landfill
I don't know if it's possible in the mod, but having various different landfill options and top-soil recovery etc, maybe it would be possible for more 'advanced' "clean" landfills to actually get passive pollution absorption on their tiles instead of the 0 landfill normally gets (ofc they would probably get covered by concreate etc that still makes it 0... but hey cool? idea? as it stands currently its mostly just different ways of dealing with byproducts without changes to landfill itself I think? not like I reached option of making the better landfills..
Electrolyzer graphics
"vertical" graphics work, but the bug persists when machine is in "horizontal" rotation
'Hydrogen Sulfide oxidation' recipe redundant, 'Hydrogen sulfide combustion' in prerequisite tech-tree and more efficient
Nothing new, but just wanted to say thanks Szentigrade. You're so quick to do updates / changes.
Indeed, thank you for the plentiful updates, and now for the newest bug report:
Oh and speaking of image sizes, the Ore Washer / SAG Mill are also one off? Maybe 2? The model is smaller than the hitbox this time.
Works still, just looks off. The Concentrate Filter Press uses same 3D model but is sized right if that helps.
fixed
Thanks!
Other bug we found:
For Shadow's extrusion press he has that "Unknown key: "item-name.ric-extrusion-press" (Recipe) error again.
While I can't even see the press in my game outside the tech tree preview window, that includes the factriopedia window. He is not running Space Age, I am. If that helps narrow it down. My "Formed steel frames" are made in assemblers not the press as I don't have one.
And not a bug but more balance feedback:
I'm not 100% sure on my math even with a rate tool mod, but I THINK the math for the whole wet ore chain is now worse, compared to the crushed ore to concentrated. I was getting 22.5 iron / copper concentrate per 30 crushed ore from the V-screen building.
Where the same 30 crushed ore down the chain of washing, and all those steps with like 10 buildings is getting like 18 ish.
Suppose the easier way to buff it would be change the end step. So make thicken iron / copper concentrate in the filler press. It's currently 5 thickened to 4 normal concentrate. It needs to be at least 5 to be even with the screen. 6 would make it better. But that might be a massive buff to ore output?
Suppose could do 5:5 to give 25% buff then lower the Viberating screen from making 3 con to 2? Or just leave it at 3 and buff the thickening step, no one likes nerfs ha. But at same time don't want to kill the "balance" of ore use. Would never want you to make it from 4 con to like a 100 or something silly.
That'd make the quick 16 vs 24. But then buff the long step to 22? 23? Would make the long wash step worthwhile. Currently it's worse (if I didn't mess up somewhere)
Though not gonna complain if you make it 5:6 lol. That's probably also not too busted output wise. And a buff vs a nerf means peoples current builds are not at risk of breaking, just means they're have a few more bars left over. And that's easy to belt into a new line if they want. There's not wrong with "shortcuts" IMO, even more so in a complex mod like this. But when it's BETTER than the long drawn out way.... that's a problem. I can slap down 16 buildings with only a bit of tailing waste. Oooor put down like 100 with several inputs, fluids, etc.
But before this becomes more of a tired novel I'll stop there, but at some point could you take a look at it? The speed / power pass was amazing, the only issue really now it's worse than then shortcut lol. But LMK if you need more context, not sure if explaining it good. Could always Discord too for photos or stream. Even if you don't change anything, thanks for reading our posts and making changes / updates so fast.
fixed
misc bugs of the day:
'Industrial building panel'
no bug, just very strange recipe at heavy cost, low efficiency and better earlier option, theoretically anti-deadlock? sidegrade of byproducts? confusing
LizBizz missing things in factoriopedia issue solved: user error
Techtree shenanigans
Emission control equipment is bit odd, I have currently unlocked making of Scrubbed flue gas and dealing with it, but cannot make prerequisite Particulate flue gas, due to waste heat recovery being later in the science tree (purple)
Not a bug, just an interesting design choice that can stay, but wanted to highlight it just in case its unintended (I guess its common to prepare treatment of byproducts before you start making the byproducts...) ( I actually guess that this is normal and intended, many other byproduct solving chains are like that)
Low Grade Mining
not a bug but a feature I guess, some of the ores in low-grade ore fields can only be mined by burner/electric/quarry with no possibility of using the higher tier excavators for more advanced factories, possibly unintended but overall negligible impact (this applies to the limestone, hematite and malachite from what I see)
Chest Oddities
Run-of-mine stockpile, Crushed-ore stockpile and such don't actually have any restrictions on items put in them, dunno if thats planned to be implemented, either way I haven't had much use for em other than using them as sidegrades to train loading mostly
*This also applies to the: spherical and cylindrical tank, in theory those are 'intended' for different 'liquids' but actually don't have restrictions (they are however very cool looking) ; Mine-water pond is also not liquid restricted and outperforms both in practice once it's unlocked
fixed
Thanks Shadow. Minus outting me on the Factriopedia part :P
How would I know some evil dev would put a button for that RIGHT next to the search bar!?! Not like anyone could ever missclick that. :/
But yeah thanks Szen for the indy board change. We just talked about that last night about that.
Edit: Oh and a maybe balance thing or a bug thing but.
Acetone has no where be used outside of Bisphenol A.
And the issue is it uses 30 Phenol and 15 Acetone. But when you make them you only get 20/15 which means you will slowly fill up on Acetone.
You also need Phenol for the resin. Which means even more Acetone is going to build up.
Currently the only way (At least that I can see) is to mass store it in tanks. Then delete the tanks and replace them, which would delete the fluid. But that goes against the spirt of the mod. IDK if u want to temp just make it flare stack burn off or do something legit with it. Least in theory, we're not any where near that stuff yet. But saw it looking around the resin board thing.
Edit 2:
Can you restore the electric furnace? I need it for the Ice planet for Space Age to make Lithium plate (If we ever get that far lol).
Normal players can still "use it" for smelting bricks or if for whatever horrible reason they're still doing the crushed ore to plate shortcut.
Also the AAI Indy furnace needs one to be built. Which I could live with not having given it's really only usable for bricks at this point. But I do need the Lithium plate to progress on the Ice planet. In you know 6 months when we build our 1st rocket lol.
Oh and speaking of space age, can you give rocket parts a love pass. They are insanely expensive per rocket part and take a ton of high end parts. Then take into account you need 50 per rocket and 1000s if not 10,000s of rocket launches to get stuff moving around well enough.. and yeah pain. Pain to the point it makes the DLC nearly unplayable. There was a reason the DLC made rocket parts fairly cheap.
That and I'm not sure if you can even make half of those parts on the other planets which means you'd need to ship in rocket parts to the other planets which would mean you'd be paying twice the cost for every non "Earth" launch. o.o
Edit: Looking at the price of space foundation...that also could use some love please. Maybe just change the output to make more than 1 at least? 2-5+?
Oh and unrelated but can you give the steel sheet the same love you gave copper sheet? With a only sheet one vs a mix of steel plate / sheet?
Unless that's still intended gameplay.
fixed
I know I've said this before, we really do love how much to you work on this mod and fix things so fast. So thanks for the time you spend on this mod.
I guess to keep our random "bug" post going:
Steam cracker building is too small for it's "hitbox". I get the foot print needs to be that size cuz all the pipe stuff but still looks a bit silly. If you can't expand the building maybe swap the model? Not the end of the world if not I guess. That or I guess 6 pipe ports is the "hard' cap if I look at the other chemical reactor (same model). So it's doable still.
Would probably mess some ones build up, but guess such is mod life. Think long term it will look better. Or just blow up the image to match it's footprint. your call.
fixed