Cargo Ships

Adds massive cargo ships to the game, that function similarly to trains. Also adds deep sea oil, oil platforms, tanker ships, train bridges and other water based content.

Content
5 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Trains Mining Fluids Power

b Infinite Power

11 months ago

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1090069230633898064/1108884878361104515/image.png
I doubt the "Oil rig infinite power generator" was meant to ever be part of the energy grid.

11 months ago

It isn't, but also we couldn't find a sensible way of preventing it, so congratulations, you found a load of free energy :) If you want your game to continue to be balanced, don't place substations next to oil rigs.

11 months ago

Or any other power pole with a supply area greater than the power pole's collision box for that matter.

11 months ago
(updated 11 months ago)

Or any other power pole with a supply area greater than the power pole's collision box for that matter.

In vanilla, at least, neither the small nor medium poles have a supply area great enough to reach the centre of the oil rig, so this exploit can only be done with a substation.

11 months ago

Oh man, I just loaded up my Space Exploration save and found this bug. What caused the change? I've had a substation next to my power rigs since a year and a half ago. Only now after coming back to the game and updating to the latest version, this bug cropped up.

11 months ago

May I suggest making it function something similar to the space exploration fluid isothermic generator? Make it consume a small amount of oil, to generate up to some arbitrary, but small value, if it's just intended to drive pumps? Say, like 1MW or something, if it's not supposed to do anything besides running a pump, which only draw 30kw each. However, if you don't want to do that, and keep the creative generator entity, couldn't you at least drop the power production to like 400kw or something small, enough to run the rig, as well as the pumps, without being significant enough to be abuseable.

robot256 β˜†
11 months ago

drop the power production to like 400kw or something small, enough to run the rig, as well as the pumps, without being significant enough to be abuseable.

The problem this change was trying to solve was if someone comes along and drops two Speed-9 modules into the oil rig, the "pumpjack" entity will consume massive amounts of power and previously would be throttled by the limited onboard capacity (and actually pump slower than without the modules). This is one way to do that--the oil rig will continue functioning and modules will have their intended effect. Other options are B) use a smaller generator like you said, and module-users will have to supply external power, or C) remove the module slots altogether.

11 months ago

The problem this change was trying to solve was if someone comes along and drops two Speed-9 modules into the oil rig, the "pumpjack" entity will consume massive amounts of power and previously would be throttled by the limited onboard capacity (and actually pump slower than without the modules). This is one way to do that--the oil rig will continue functioning and modules will have their intended effect. Other options are B) use a smaller generator like you said, and module-users will have to supply external power, or C) remove the module slots altogether.

Don't forget the option of letting it consume oil for whatever amount of power is needed! That could be an intriguing way to deal with the issue, or add some kind of 'waterborne substation'. I feel this latter suggestion would be by far the best option: just use the power systems in place, and add a water-substation.

10 months ago

Or even making the water based long distance power poles have the same supply area as the land based ones. (one tile from their collision hit box.)

10 months ago

And this could be a setting, where either you have these overpowered one tile entities to allow for any power hungry module, or make us have to provide that additional required power using some form of water based power distribution poles (or using landfill to place a land based pole)

10 months ago

It bugged me enough I created a small tweak mod for it:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/cargo-ships-nofreepower

Still hope something like it will be mainlined

9 months ago

A comprehensive fix for this is in the works :)

robot256 β˜†
9 months ago

Release 0.2.3 has added a startup setting to select the oil rig power source.

New response