X-Mod deprecated

A 'Vanilla Plus' modpack featuring much greater long-distance logistics variety. Pack intermediate products into crates before transporting them using combinations of trains, ships, and even spidertrons! Also includes Sand & Glass, BZ Lead & Titanium, Greenhouses, and more...

Mod packs
1 year, 11 months ago
Transportation Logistics Trains Environment Mining Manufacturing

i [Completed-1.0.3] Options

1 year, 11 months ago

Great start for this modpack! I've been playing with it for a couple days.

You've included a startup message about selecting your map preset, but I made some tweaks, and now your warning pops up every time I log in.

I would love for there to be a mod settings option to disable this message, since my decision was intentional and I don't need to be reminded anymore.

Thank you for putting this modpack together!

1 year, 11 months ago

Hello, I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

The message was only intended to be triggered once on game start, so this is actually a bug. I’ll fix it in an update to X-Logistics later today (since that’s where the message comes from).

Out of interest, what changes did you make to the map generation? I could certainly improve the preset if you have suggestions? And let me know if you’ve got other feedback about anything!

1 year, 11 months ago

Good to hear!

Feedback: My world generated with basically all deep water, even where there's only a little speck of water. So I would need to use deep landfill. But 400x Stone per tile is unattainable at that stage. It feels bad to unlock landfill, and set up automation, only to find that it just wont work on any of the water in my world.

My preference would be to do away with deep landfill entirely, which I may end up doing myself with a little mod.

As far as my map generation settings, I changed the moisture, tree coverage, and hot/cold settings to force the world into my favorite biome, the Tundra from Alien Biomes. After that, I refreshed the seed looking for a starting ore patch which wasn't too far spread out. Finally, I tweaked the frequency of several ores to make sure there was only one new patch within ~1000 distance.

1 year, 11 months ago

Great info!

The mod doesn't make any changes to water/shallow water generation when alien biomes is installed so I guess that's why you're not seeing much shallow water. Generally I haven't really tested the other map gen changes with alien biomes so the user would have to manually tweak that (as you found out!).

The intention is that you don't use much landfill at all, using cargo ships and train bridges instead. But I can add a setting to disable the landfill changes for players that don't want this restriction (or who's map generation is different).

1 year, 10 months ago

I've fixed the alert bug and added an option to disable landfill changes in X-Logistics 1.0.3.

1 year, 10 months ago
(updated 1 year, 10 months ago)

I like the idea of not using landfill at all. Did you consider removing or hiding landfill and its technology? I mean, I'd be hesitant to play that way, since I like some control over my landmasses, but it'd be a good constraint to play within.

As a playtester, I wasn't even aware X-Mod's landfill changes. I found out about them /after/ I researched the technology, and built some landfill, and expected it to work as usual.

Another possibility would be to move landfill deeper in the tech tree, requiring more ingredients like concrete, but working as-expected once researched: one type of landfill, that works on shallow and deep water equally. What are your thoughts?

1 year, 10 months ago
(updated 1 year, 10 months ago)

Did you consider removing or hiding landfill and its technology?

In effect, that is kind of what I’ve done. Deep landfill is prohibitively expensive to use for anything significant but I like that it’s still there as an option in case there’s this one tile of water in your way or something.

However, I like the shallow water as a mechanic: it is more realistic and it’s allows for a waterfill that doesn’t block biters so isn’t overpowered. It is also useful for boats as you can walk right up to them near the shore. But my understanding of cargo ships is that it’s basically impossible to load or unload them without landfill to make a jetty (or I suppose waterfill to dig into land). So I thought it shouldn’t be too expensive to make this jetty as long as it’s in shallow water. You also need (cheap) landfill if you’ve got a line of walls ending at shallow water: the biters can walk around the walls unless you landfill all the way to deep water.

So, I’m pretty happy with the intersecting mechanics of ships, deep/shallow water, deep/shallow landfill, and canal builder.

I could certainly move around the tech positions: normal landfill needs to stay at green science to go with cargo ships but I could put deep landfill somewhere in blue science or even later…

I like concrete as an ingredient, at least for deep landfill. Potentially iron sticks as well (although refined concrete already includes that). I’m not currently coming up with anything that would fit, so probably stone + (refined?) concrete. Maybe low density structure, or perhaps wood to give it another use?

1 year, 10 months ago

I've made some changes to landfill recipes and added a deep landfill tech in X-Logistics 1.0.4: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/X-Logistics/changelog
Also renamed landfill and its tech to shallow landfill to hopefully emphasise that it has changed behaviour from vanilla.

New response