Qatavin's More Stuff

by Qatavin

An expansion modmod for Bob's. Includes lots more chemistry, some weapons, enhancements for nuclear production, and various balance changes.

Overhaul
a month ago
Transportation Combat Mining Fluids Manufacturing Power

b Incompatible with angel industries?

2 years ago

I get the following crash when playing with AngelBob including Angel Industries:

56.897 Loading mod cargo-ships 0.1.15 (data-updates.lua)
57.385 Loading mod MushroomCloud-patched 1.0.15 (data-updates.lua)
57.859 Loading mod angelsbioprocessing 0.7.21 (data-updates.lua)
58.382 Loading mod Angels_RBOS 1.1.3 (data-updates.lua)
58.863 Loading mod AsphaltPaving 1.3.1 (data-updates.lua)
59.348 Loading mod kj_cargo_ships_hr 1.1.0 (data-updates.lua)
59.786 Loading mod angelsindustries 0.4.15 (data-updates.lua)
59.912 Error ModManager.cpp:1577: Failed to load mod "angelsindustries": angelsrefining/prototypes/recipe-builder.lua:217: attempt to compare number with nil
stack traceback:
angelsrefining/prototypes/recipe-builder.lua:217: in function 'add'
angelsrefining/prototypes/recipe-builder.lua:429: in function 'p_merge_item_lists'
angelsrefining/prototypes/recipe-builder.lua:509: in function 'p_result_merge'
angelsrefining/prototypes/recipe-builder.lua:546: in function 'p_copy'
angelsrefining/prototypes/recipe-builder.lua:567: in function 'patch'
angelsrefining/prototypes/override-functions.lua:980: in function 'execute'
...lsindustries__/prototypes/angels-industries-override.lua:32: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'require'
angelsindustries/data-updates.lua:5: in main chunk
59.916 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
60.298 Checksum for core: 3046847990
60.348 Error ModManager.cpp:1577: Error in assignID: recipe-category with name 'crafting' does not exist.

Disabling your mod fixes the issue. Unfortunately I have tons of other mods so it could be a conflict with some of them. Hoping you can reproduce easily.

Adding some print to the 'p_merge_item_lists' function, the offending recipe is "uranium-hexafluride" with count=nil

Thanks!

2 years ago

I should probably specify Angels as incompatible in the next version.

2 years ago

Oh, interesting, it didn't even come to my mind that the mod was designed to work with Bob and NOT Angel. Honestly I'd even suggest marking it in the title because 90% of Bob's users probably play with Angel too. Out of curiosity why play only Bob and not Angel's ? I agree Angel has a few constraining/annoying design choices compared to Bob's, like the removal of raw ores and forcing to sort them; but considering you know how to mod these things are very easy to change/rebalance.

2 years ago

You'll have to forgive me for not being able to answer that question briefly.

I'd say I have several reasons why Angel's is not my cup of tea. There's the combined ores, of course, but that's reversible. My bigger problem is the general design philosophy. I may have named my mod "More Stuff" but Angel's adds soooo much more stuff. Everything is so convoluted. There are just tons and tons of chemicals, many of which are only used as an intermediate step to produce a single other chemical, because why do something in one step when you can do it in three instead? And while their ore processing scheme is very impressive, with lots of real-world concepts all implemented to maximize, maximize, maximize your resource output, honestly I find it all unnecessary, and each of their merged ore production chains feel kinda samey. Even the bioprocessing stuff, which I love the concept of, is still so difficult to parse and remember due to the excess of redundancy.

But the weird part is what comes after. All of that complexity is for the most part just to take you from stage 0/stage -1 materials (raw ore/combined ore) to stage 1 (metal plates). As far as intermediates and finished products go, aside from the added complexity of the chemical precursors, the recipes at these stages are barely touched. Making an assembler is so trivial compared to making a simple iron plate during the endgame that it feels massively lopsided. I'm aware of the components overhaul that's currently in development, but from what I've seen of it in the current version, it looks just as overdesigned as the rest.

I also find some of their design choices to be a little too "eh, whatever." The synthetic gems are the worst offender in this regard, specifically in how they're all identical. They could have done much better. I was able to throw together some synthetic gem recipes that were mostly accurate, though I did have to cut some corners since I didn't have beryllium or chromium. But Angel's does have chromium, except it's only used to make more iron, titanium, or steel. I feel like they could have, should have done more with it. Perhaps they didn't want to make any disruptive changes in that production chain, but it feels like missed potential to me. I guess we all have our own standards of what is and is not an acceptable shortcut or break with reality. And speaking of missed potential, one of the bioprocessing chains involves breeding biters, but you can't deploy them to fight for you like Bob's drones? It would literally take a single line entry in the lua files to make this possible. Then again, Angel's is very much geared towards pure factory building, so it may be intentional.

In summation, Angel's is just too overdesigned for my taste. The layering of steps, unnecessary redundant recipes, lack of completeness in some areas, and gameplay imbalance against combat and exploration altogether doesn't give me much reason to want to play with it. I prefer the more economical complexity of Bob's, or the buttery smoothness of Krastorio 2.

2 years ago

Angel has a few cool things, like the metallurgy and the petrochem (although this is personal taste I guess). I also haven't played with Bob alone but I think Bob's graphics are really meh (like the Electrolyser compared to Angel's).
I would recommend to support Angel's but disable what you don't like. Personnally I re-enabled the spawning of all ores, so I don't need to do the crushing part (but it's still an alternative I can use if I don't find the rare ores). I pushed the rarity of most ores to the lowest so it rewards a lot exploration but you still can go through crushing.

4 months ago

Angel mod compatibility would be welcome! What feature hinders compatibility with Angels atm?

3 months ago

I just checked the mod (without Angel). And it has a LOT great content. Only 530 downloads in such a long time tells me: You have to change something. Great mod. But nobody downloads it => Make it Angel and MadClown compatible and the downloads will explode :-) Also you should split your mod into multiple smaller mods. Because currently its really too much different stuff in a all in one package.

New response