Autodrive

by Pi-C

Car equipment for train avoidance, logistic network integration, circuit network connectivity, fuel refill, ammo reload, vehicle repair, radio control, enemy targeting, and gate control.

Content
24 days ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

g Suggestions and questions …

4 years ago

Hi, I've just installed this mod and have some minor suggestions:

• Could you lock the Gate sensor behind the Gates technology? It doesn't really make sense before that.

• The train sensor recipe requires a rail signal, but you could research (just not use) the technology before because it is only locked behind the Railway technology. Actually, it would make sense to have a working train sensor right from the start, though: Think of a remotely controlled car that automatically goes next to the single rail where you manually drive your only train. You could manually brake the train, of course, but it would be better if the car didn't get near it. In this case, I'd recommend using rail(s) or even a locomotive as an ingredient instead of a signal. Also, I believe another train related icon (for item and technology) might be better in this light.

• Would you consider adding compatibility with Schallfalke's Transport Group? He has put up instructions in his FAQ.

• Would you also consider adding compatibility with Cargo ships? While it is true that ships are usually trains that go on "rails" (at least with that mod!), you also have the small boats that can be used not only like trains (going on "rails", i.e. the so-called waterways), but also like a car (going everywhere). Being able to use the radio control as well as Fuel, Train, and Logistic networks sensors with the boat would be nice. (Boats aren't equipped with arms yet, and there are no gates on water, so Ammo, Enemy, and Gate sensor are useless in this case.)

• I think I haven't understood how to use the remote control correctly yet. Could you put up some more information on that, please? I believed that you could automate cars with it, but so far I've only managed to click (with radio control in hand) on the ground and the car would move to that point. If I clicked somewhere else while it still was driving, it would immediately repath and go to the new destination without going through the first. Isn't it possible to mark a path that a particular car will go multiple times? Could be useful to send out the truck to get ore from an outpost before a train network has been set up, or to send a car/tank on patrol along the base perimeter.

• Is your mod compatible with Pavement Drive Assist?

I'm really curious how your mod will work out for my game -- it looks quite promising! :-)

dorfl β˜†
4 years ago

Thanks, some good suggestions to check out.

I think Autodrive already works with the Boat from Cargo Ships. It's not working for you?

The remote control is currently just single destination. "Hey car, go build this outpost" type thing. Might add waypoints, but unsure about complex patrolling -- that is currently more in AAI's domain and already highly configurable.

4 years ago

Thanks, some good suggestions to check out.

You already implemented some of them -- thanks for that!

I think Autodrive already works with the Boat from Cargo Ships. It's not working for you?

Just tried it: it actually does. However, I looked at the item descriptions in the research tree. There's a list "Placed in:" with some icons (car, tank, different armors). The list also contains the icon for the truck from LJD Vehicles (perhaps because it is unlocked together with the car when Automobilism is researched?), but not the icon of the boat. That's what made me think it wouldn't work.

Also, I managed to confuse the vehicles: Went to the coast in my car, placed the boat on water, and accidentally marked both car and boat with the radio control. Both vehicles tried to get to the same destination. The car stopped when it came to deep water. Then I clicked on land, and the boat started complaining ("pathing … no path … pathing … no path …") until I selected it alone and gave it another order.

The remote control is currently just single destination. "Hey car, go build this outpost" type thing. Might add waypoints, but unsure about complex patrolling -- that is currently more in AAI's domain and already highly configurable.

Too bad! I've not played with AAI yet because (from what I've seen on youtube) it seemed a bit too complicated. My intention was to concentrate on trains for long distance transport on land and ships to connect train networks across islands/continents. Automated cars would be great for the mid game, to pick up ore from patches in the vicinity of the main base that are not far enough for trains. They could also be useful for on-base transport of stuff that is used in large quantities, but only sporadically: e.g. concrete for nuclear reactors (it's not worth it to put concrete on the bus because you don't need it all the time; it would take early bots too long to move that much concrete over longer distances; and the distance is too short to use a train -- a car loaded/unloaded by bots at each end would close that gap perfectly). But I guess that's way beyond what this mod is meant to do. It would probably mean something similar to another railway system (different routes for different vehicles, waiting conditions so they could be loaded/unloaded …).

Well, at least I've found one practical use for the remote control: I could drive in the car wherever I wanted to without bumping into each other rock or tree! :-D

dorfl β˜†
4 years ago

This request might make some of that possible... But in general you're pretty much describing the AAI Hauler or Logistic Carts.

4 years ago

The approach outlined in the thread of that request looks good! I think that would allow me to achieve what I want, without offering too many options like AAI (perhaps I'll try that later, but I'm not ready for it yet). Logistic carts seems more suitable for on-base transport than for hauling stuff from/to outposts in the close vicinity.

4 years ago

nod yup. I gotta get back and try that again with inserters and combinators instead of the logistic-ish stuff for the coal mining early game I wanted to try.

New response