Schall Remains & Pickup

Inventory items and grid equipment inside destroyed containers, like chests, vehicles (cars, tanks), will now spill over ground, instead of simply vanish. Adds a hotkey to pick items on ground with adjustable pickup radius. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Русский, Português Brasileiro)

Utilities
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Enemies Storage

i [Solved] Variable Remains drop% options?

2 years ago

This is a wonderful mod set to counter the no items drop nonsense. Could you make it where are there is are (two separate) options of percent for each grid item and inv item(1-stack?) survival rates? I ask for two options for sheer item count disparity (handful of items in grid vs possible 100's to 1,000's in inv) and that grid items are a different value than standard items.
As example, the (as far as I can tell, dead) mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/chestsplotion used 25% item recovery from an inventory.

As you know, the extremes are: the vehicle is sadly sent wholesale to the void OR (short of the vehicle) every ounce that was held and equipped survives it. It is reasonable for some kind of loss is able to be incurred from the total goods to not survive the wreckage.

Could this be done to attain greater heights of realism? Please and ty for any time and consideration.

2 years ago

Glad you find this mod useful.

Done. It is split into two options, now in 0.17.7 / 0.18.4 / 1.0.2 / 1.1.1.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

It is a great boost, tyvm! <3

P.S. Useful? This is an excellent mod, it adds item dispersal realism and styles of handling gameplay.
IMO, I think the only 'missing' finishing touch beyond what I requested would be a radius setting for dispersal.

(I get the nagging feeling someone after me might ask for a slider or text box to type in the drop% wanted.)

AGAIN, tyvm! This is now going into my baseline QoL mods I add for every game. (And for this moment, Space Exploration realism run)

2 years ago

I have thought of allowing adjusting scatter radius and other settings, when I was introducing the additional remains placement distributions. (The default centre one was the only one in earlier versions.)
Getting into coding, soon I realized that was not much room for adjustments. If I were to provide the scatter radius setting, typical users (I guess the majority are not professional in distribution maths) tends to set extreme values. Unfortunately, extreme values will adversely affect game performance.
- Too small radius will pile up items together to the centre, which will also unnecessarily increase placement time a lot, due to frequent collisions in position candidates. (And the outcome will just look like default Centre one, instead of the shape they have selected.)
- Too large radius then items can be scattered very far away. Individual item on ground is hard to be spotted. Probably never get discovered and left in the wild forever, silently increasing memory usage and slowing down the game.

2 years ago

Other than for marking mining drills, I can't find any other mod for auto decon. If one was made for loose items on ground event drop would be wonderful. Helps with sight and pickup with bots under any situation. Not sure of the impact level though.

2 years ago

Bot orders (as calling pickup by bots) will create another problem though.
I have played quite a lot in some public servers (at 0.16/0.17 times). They were not using any mods but some scenarios with mild map rules.
Some players were calling concrete bot laying en masse, which led to instant drop of UPS to unbearable/unplayable rate. Or even server crash. Admins had to remove those bot orders, or even roll back the game state to last backup.
Another example is about drops too (though from that scenario, but nothing related to this mod). That scenario had the whole cave full of rocks but no ordinary resource patches. Players have to "dig" the rocks, which will spill ores onto the ground. This alone does not cause problems, as players have extra large inventory to carry the ores back to base. The problem comes when some lazy players insisted to keep digging when their inventories were full. The ores left on ground was killing UPS, which became quite obviously from around the scale of ten thousand ores onwards.
And some seemingly smart players then tried "deconstructing" across screens to pickup those ores... Guess what happened next?
Users of my another mod have reported that (1.1.x earlier) it was quite noticeable that UPS have dropped when "too much loots" are left on ground.
So my impression is the game engine does not tolerate too many bot orders nor too many items on ground.

2 years ago

Awww. Another good idea hurt by scale by framework and/or players. (Well, I generally play solo and wish to play smart and responsibly.) So I'd love a decon mod :P Guess I have to learn some programing and get help to make said referred idea as mod... work around it, or ask around. xD

Back to the point. So due to framework handling limits and potential player play-ethics, not a thing you will add. : /

Thanks again for the cool work you have contributed to the Factorio community and being easy to talk to about this matter.

2 years ago

There were some mods for marking items on ground automatically. I cannot remember them except for this one. I have no need of such use, so I have never tested that myself.
You may ask the author for 1.1 update, or update it yourself. It last supported 1.0, so should not be much work.

BTW, if automatic loot pickup is what you desired, I have another mod Schall Pickup Tower dedicated for that.
Not by bot order, but by a kind of tower that you want to build on the battlefield (ideally behind turrets).

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I saw what you did there (self plug). But yes, I grabbed Pickup Tower for my bases. Just doesn't cover niche of mobile roaming of the battleground/exploring cleanup.

Msg'ed other modder for version bump. Ty! I'll keep theirs on my mod watchlist.

For now, I will have to trick out the AAI scanner to my location (or manually paint a location) and use Recursive BP to ground-item filtered Decon at location with offset.

New response