Pirate Ship

Set sail in this multiplayer scenario. Collect resources and fuel the ship in order to survive as many leagues as possible. The ship moves with code magic. Each crew has a captain, who performs actions such as deciding when the boat leaves. Doubloons can be spent at various markets throughout the game. Win condition: Travel 1000 leagues Lose condition: The ship runs out of fuel, or a cannon is destroyed. Load from Single Player->New Game->Mod scenarios.

Scenarios
1 year, 9 months ago

g Quickstart Guide

1 year, 11 months ago
(updated 1 year, 11 months ago)

This mod isn't well-documented and it took me a bit to figure out how to start playing, so I'm jotting down a few notes for new players who find themselves in the same boat (badum-tish).

You will start out in a small area with three ships -- this is the game's lobby. However, you will not be able to access the subrooms of the ships until you depart. To get things going, click the "Crews" button at the top of the screen. Name your expedition, select the maximum crew size and click "Propose". This will make you captain, and if you're playing with other players they can join your crew at this time (Edit: by being on the ship when it departs). Click "Launch run" to launch the topmost docked ship. Make sure to get on before it leaves or the expedition will be aborted. (Edit: if players join the game mid-expedition, they'll spawn on the ship)

The ship will reappear next to an island and slowly approach the shoreline, creating a large red dock around itself once it runs aground. Now is a good time to acquaint yourself with the layout of the ship.

In the rear are two "Electric energy interfaces", which behave like accumulators but have an infinite charge, meaning you can indefinitely power up to 3.0 MW of machinery. (Edit: the infinite part seems to have applied when I was playing solo, but not in multiplayer games?)

Entering the car in the aft will take you to the Captain's Quarters, which contains chests for spawning quest rewards, a market building, and belts which consume items to accomplish various things. You can trade for artillery shells for your cannons, rail signals for navigating to other islands, uranium (I don't know if this has any special use), and the option to spend an extra minute at sea in between islands. Placing coal in the lower blue chest will add fuel to your ship. I haven't played long enough to find out what the other chests are for.

Leaving the cabin and entering the locomotive in the center of the ship will take you to the Ship's Hold. The hold contains a number of wooden chests that are unfortunately a permanent feature. The belts on the sides are connected to the belts on the upper deck of the ship, allowing transfer of items between z-levels. I don't know what the belts in the fore and aft are for (maybe you can upgrade to an additional hold later?). The substations flanking the locomotive are also connected to the substations on the upper deck, allowing power transfer between z-levels. A small pond at the fore allows the generation of steam and use of recipes requiring water. In all, this is an excellent place to build a long-term mini-factory, safe from biters. Note that solar panels don't work down here.

Returning to the upper deck, the pair of cars at the fore will take you to the Crow's Nest. This will give a simulated zoomed out view of the "world map", and has a pair of blue chests used for navigation. More on that later.

The last features of the upper deck include two blue chests on the bow used to fine-tune where you land on an island, and two artillery turrets, your "cannons". The game is over if a cannon is destroyed. You don't technically own them, so you will not receive any notification if they are attacked and they cannot be repaired with repair packs, so guard them carefully.

Now that we understand the layout of the ship, let's go ashore. You may notice there aren't any resource patches. A finite number of patches will spawn when you mine the boulders strewn across the island. In addition, you receive a small amount of money for mining boulders, trees, killing biters and destroying nests. Each island has a rocket silo, which will reward you with significant fuel and money in exchange for charging it with electricity. Some islands may also have a structure which grants a reward in exchange for a few hundred copies of a specific item.

Exploit the island for all the resources you can, keeping an eye on the resources lost fighting off the intensifying waves of biters. You can spend as much time as you like on the first island, although subsequent islands have a two hour time limit. The captain can choose to leave at any time by clicking the "Undock" button at the top. Anyone who doesn't get on the ship before it leaves will be marooned on the island and die.

The ship will spend a few minutes at sea, burning fuel until it encounters an island. If you go up to the Crow's Nest, you might notice the world map is split into three lanes. Buying 100 rail signals from the market and placing them in one of the blue chests in the Crow's Nest will make the ship change lanes, consuming the rail signals and bringing the ship to a different island. Once the ship arrives at an island, it will cease burning fuel and spend an additional minute at sea. You can buy additional idle time at the market, which you might spend researching technologies.

Once the ship enters the island's z-level, you can influence where it will land by placing rail signals in the blue chests at the bow. The ship will drift one tile port or starboard for each tile moved forward while a chest contains at least one rail signal, consuming a rail signal in the process.

Some other things to be aware of include the console commands. Bringing the console up with ~ and typing /help will give a list of commands. For the most part these are used to kick/ban players, to cheat, as well as to do player class related tasks. Typing /help <command> will give a description of a command. Leaving or disbanding your crew will discard all progress -- emptying your inventory and resetting the technology tree -- and kick you out to the lobby, so use that option with care. Finally, note that you get a research productivity bonus the further you've traveled into the game -- it might be worthwhile to hold off research until later to get the most out of your resources.

1 year, 11 months ago

As for classes -- it appears you have to buy class slots from markets you find along the way. You don't start with any. After buying one you can switch to that class by using the console command "/take <class_name>", even if you're the captain (rank != class). You can also take/release class slots from the "Crews" button.

Looking into the game's code, this is what is available (spoilers?):

BASIC CLASSES
Deckhand: They move faster and generate ore for the cabin whilst onboard above deck.
Shoresman: They move slightly faster and generate ore for the cabin whilst offboard.
Quartermaster: They give nearby crewmates extra physical attack, and generate ore for the cabin for each one.
Fisherman: They fish at greater distance.
Scout: They are faster, but frail and deal less damage.
Samurai: They are tough, and with no weapon equipped fight well by melee, but poorly otherwise.
Boatswain: They move faster and generate ore for the cabin whilst below deck.
Prospector: They find more resources when handmining.
Lumberjack: They find more resources when chopping trees.
Iron Leg: They are very resistant to damage when carrying 3500 iron ore.
Gourmet: They generate ore for the cabin by eating fish in fancy locations.

ADVANCED CLASSES (requires another class to unlock)
Master Angler: They fish at much greater distance, and catch more.
Hatamoto: They are very tough, and with no weapon equipped fight well by melee, but poorly otherwise.
Dredger: They find surprising items when they fish.

DUMMIED OUT
Merchant: They generate 50 doubloons per league.
Smoldering: They periodically convert wood into coal, if they have less than 50 coal.
(advanced) Wood Lord: They find many more resources when chopping trees.
(advanced) Chief Excavator: They find many more resources when handmining.

1 year, 11 months ago

A few more details found after playing further:

• Later on, you have to fulfill requirements to leave islands. This is what the other treasure chests in the Captain's Quarters are for -- fill them up so you can depart.

• My guess about upgrading the hold was correct -- the belts in fore and aft go to the lower holds. You can also upgrade your passive energy generators. I haven't seen any upgrades for the ship market though.

• The death of an individual crew member is a temporary inconvenience. They'll respawn on the ship in a few seconds with a handgun and ten bullets. (Edit: no longer true to prevent a money exploit?) Losing a cannon or running out of fuel is a hard Game Over.

• You burn fuel faster the further you get.

• The cannons can be repaired at dock towns by buying the artillery option in the leftmost market. Note that you're not buying a new cannon.

• This mod contains a number of surprise encounters and unique mechanics. I was expecting something like "gather resources, leave, gather more resources" ad infinitum, but the game actually does throw a curve ball from time to time to keep you on your toes. It's not quite Space Exploration or Krastorio 2 tier, but it is one of the more interesting mods in the mod portal.

1 year, 11 months ago

Hello, maybe someone here can help us. We're playing the mod for a few days now and aquire from time to time some treasure maps. We did find the positions on the map (big red X) but just can't find out how to get to the burried treasure.
Maybe someone has a tip for us.
(I found the treasure hunt mentioned in the code, but not how to get it idk)

1 year, 11 months ago

can't find out how to get to the burried treasure.

I was wondering that myself. Found the solution in the source files as a parrot hint:
"If X marks the spot - use inserters to dig!"

1 year, 11 months ago

I was wondering that myself. Found the solution in the source files as a parrot hint:
"If X marks the spot - use inserters to dig!"

Oh, thank you! Guess our parrot wasn't in the mood to tell us. Will try it next time i come across one and update my answer if it works.

1 year, 11 months ago

Mod designer here. I endorse Aedako's quick-start guide =]

The reason for the low-level of documentation is that this mod was developed for a dedicated server on the public lobbies. When it's on rotation, players tend to join an ongoing run, learn from each other, and rarely start from scratch. In addition, the design philosophy has an intention to surprise the players as they discover the mechanics. There is then a parallel effort to make a solidly replayable game.

I recently figured the mod was now high-enough quality to start with its wider distribution, but I'd be grateful for suggestions as to make it approachable in this context when I next get time to work on it. Perhaps a 'just booted up the scenario?' guide in "?" is what it needs.

1 year, 11 months ago

I don't understand what is the tank and pump on the Island 3 for?

1 year, 11 months ago

Randomly generated structure, for decorative purposes I believe. There are some islands where the pregenerated structures are there to help accomplish some goal, such as producing enough of a certain item to meet the conditions for leaving.

New response