Nullius

In this Factorio prequel, you're an android terraforming planets and seeding them with life. Replaces all recipes and technology. No life means no coal, oil, wood, biters, or free oxygen, requiring varied renewable energy sources. For reliability, you'll focus on abundant elements from the air, sea, or common minerals such as iron ore, bauxite, sandstone, and limestone. Advanced technology enables asteroid mining of rarer elements.

Overhaul
3 months ago
Environment Mining Fluids Manufacturing Power

g Steam turbine.condensatio

1 year, 10 days ago

Why can't you recollect water after steam goes through a turbine? I thought that was a thing in reality. But on the other hand, nuclear plants always have a huge steam releasing tower thing. Is there a requirement for the steam to be released into the atmosphere? Pressure difference? And a reason you can't economically recapture it?

Or, is it something about how the amount of steam doesn't match the amount of water?

Kinda wish I didn't have to keep producing freshwater for power storage, mostly. But wanted to know the reason.

1 year, 10 days ago
(updated 1 year, 10 days ago)

Technical limitation. The Factorio game engine makes it very difficult to implement. A turbine is currently just one building. A turbine that conserves the fluid in some other form needs to be multiple different fake buildings tied together by scripts, which inevitably has some wonky side effects. At some point I would like to reimplement turbines this way, which would achieve this and a few other benefits, but it's a complicated project.

New response