Nullius

In this Factorio prequel, you're an android terraforming planets and seeding them with life. Replaces all recipes and technology. No life means no coal, oil, wood, biters, or free oxygen, requiring varied renewable energy sources. For reliability, you'll focus on abundant elements from the air, sea, or common minerals such as iron ore, bauxite, sandstone, and limestone. Advanced technology enables asteroid mining of rarer elements.

Overhaul
3 months ago
Environment Mining Fluids Manufacturing Power

g Problem with biology labs

1 year, 3 months ago

Hello, I had a problem. It seems that Biology lab isn't working well.

When you put bottles into them, sometimes the inserters stop working because it is holding the first kind of lab bottle, say botany bottle, and the slot in the lab is full, so it won't put the second kind of bottle, microbiology bottle for example, into the lab.

One of the possible reason is that the slot in the lab can hold too few bottles. For example in a turret, inserters will put 10 magazines, while the slot can hold a stack of 200 or 100 I can't remember. But for the biology lab it fills at 10 bottles or something else, and the inserters fill the slot to its maximum capacity.

Please see to it. thanks. It is really frustrating, because I have to fix this very often and it is not good.

1 year, 3 months ago

I'll look at it, but a simple workaround is to override the stack size of the inserter.

1 year, 3 months ago

Are you putting the bottles into the machines by hand? That's something that can happen with any type of machine. If you overfill it by hand it messes up the inserters. In that case I don't think it really has anything to do with the stack size. Set up a chest for you to load things into by hand and let an inserter actually put it in.

1 year, 3 months ago

I am not putting the bottles into the machines by hand.
I will override the stack size for now, thanks a lot.

1 year, 2 months ago

Hi, I will echo @bobyang6... I have the same problem.

I arrange my labs in a nice matrix, then put a grid of inserters between them. I feed all bottles into the upper left, say, so bottles cascade from upper left to lower right, say. Every lab in the middle is fed from the top and left, and feeds out to the bottom and right. The ones on the edges, they obviously don't (i.e., bottom row doesn't hand bottles out to emptiness).

This never jams up my regular labs. But for my biology labs, inevitably the inserters jam.

I think the issue might arise because some of the recipes consume them at an uneven ratio. Zoology 2 needs science at a 1:1:1:2 ratio. Maybe when a cycle completes, the two inserters on each side try to fill the lab at the same time. Only one of them can make the fill, and the other one is stuck. (???) This does not happen with regular science for whatever reason.

Haven't really diagnosed the true cause. Changing the stack size to 1 did solve the problem. It was very annoying and I had started using filter inserters, one for each time, to feed the grid. That was ugly.

1 year, 2 months ago
(updated 1 year, 2 months ago)

@werner95.

Firstly, I need to clear the fact that regular labs also have some recipes consuming the bottles at uneven ratio. So if you arrange your lab set up the same way and things were fine with regular but not fine with biology, then it has nothing to do with the uneven ratio.

Secondly, my biology lab is arranged in a different way with four belts on both side and inserters picking the bottles from the belts. So, I don't think the jamming has anything to do with 'two inserters conflict' because in my set up each kind of bottle is only picked up by one inserters.

I still believe that the problem lies in what I observed and described, if you wish maybe I can modify the mod to test the idea?
10 months ago

The only technical difference in how biology labs and regular labs are implemented is that biology techs have a smaller stack size. I've increased the stack sizes for research packs across the board in the latest update. Not solely for this, but to help allow for more science buffering (to smooth out techs that require different amounts of each science). With a stack size of 20, you'd need a lot of infinite research to get your stack inserters to move 20 at a time, so perhaps that will help.

New response