Nullius

In this Factorio prequel, you're an android terraforming planets and seeding them with life. Replaces all recipes and technology. No life means no coal, oil, wood, biters, or free oxygen, requiring varied renewable energy sources. For reliability, you'll focus on abundant elements from the air, sea, or common minerals such as iron ore, bauxite, sandstone, and limestone. Advanced technology enables asteroid mining of rarer elements.

Overhaul
3 months ago
Environment Mining Fluids Manufacturing Power

g Steam / Solar collectors vs Grid bettery / Solar panel

1 year, 6 months ago
(updated 1 year, 6 months ago)

Hi.

My question is:
Is "Grid battery and Solar panel spam" best way of energy generation (after Grid battery research is complete)?
Specifically is it superior replacemant of Steam / Steam turbines / Solar collectors / Heat ?

advantages:

• no need to deal with Steam management (throughput / storage)
  • no need to deal with Heat mechanics
  • more UPS friendly

disadvantages:

• more expensive in terms of materials (and space?).

Two other purposes of Steam generation that i can think of now is Steam production as an ingredient (for crafting other stuff) and "Wastewater" production (byproduct from HeatExchanger boiling of Seawater etc).

Am i thinking correctly? :)

1 year, 6 months ago

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. You can make it work with many different choices.

You can also use stirling engines with solar collectors if you don't like dealing with fluids. They're also more expensive (like solar), but simpler to deal with. So that's a third consideration.

Geothermal plants are even more cost effective than solar collectors, and a popular main power generation method. You need some geothermal patches for volcanic gas, but you should be able to find plenty. The patches never drop below 25% richness, so they're infinite, and you can use speed beacons to get more out of each patch. So that leaves plenty of patches for geothermal plants.

Yes, solar is more UPS friendly than any other power generation method, but most people can have quite large bases in Nullius without dropping below 60 UPS, so it's not a universal concern. If you're building a big solar farm, you may as well put some wind turbines into your grid-aligned solar blueprint.

1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for explanation.

And i agree about wind turbines - those are always good to have,

1 year, 6 months ago
(updated 1 year, 6 months ago)

i see todays update:

Version: 1.5.15
Date: 25.10.2022

Features:
    - New tier of boiler that makes high pressure steam.  Steam compression.
    - Add recipe variants using high pressure steam, including desalination 3.

This gives more possibilities of Steam usage - thanks ! :)

New response