Nullius

In this Factorio prequel, you're an android terraforming planets and seeding them with life. Replaces all recipes and technology. No life means no coal, oil, wood, biters, or free oxygen, requiring varied renewable energy sources. For reliability, you'll focus on abundant elements from the air, sea, or common minerals such as iron ore, bauxite, sandstone, and limestone. Advanced technology enables asteroid mining of rarer elements.

Overhaul
3 months ago
Environment Mining Fluids Manufacturing Power

b Wind generators

2 years ago

when adding a mod Wind Speed Changing, wind generators only follow the direction of the wind, not its strength.

2 years ago

Nullius is not compatible with that mod. It already has dynamic wind speed, calibrated to the amount of power that wind turbines are meant to generate relative to other Nullius energy producers.

2 years ago

Well, thank you.

2 years ago

i feel that wind is too much of a main power source, your taught to use other power generations from the by products from your base, but when the wind makes enough power to utilize a full on seawater "outpost" to not need any solar, or geothermal to just needing the steam from "water", i feel its way too overpowered to the other power generators, seeing as you can get 500MW easily from just water steam, even lasting as long as 40 hours, i dont feel like the steam from water should be equal to wind power, or vice versa, when you compare the geothermal/solar collectors are much higher tech, and costing WAY more. the other recipes arent as much of an incentive when you compare how much steam you get, the byproducts of carbon dioxide is inessential as its made in so many other ways, and is not, imo, significant enough to even care to need to produce when you can produce "air" in an oxygenless world.... lol

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

It might be more fruitful to discuss your feedback in the Discord, so people can address them point by point. That tends to be a better platform for complex discussions.

Wind turbines needing to be spread out so much limits how much you can scale them easily. It costs time running around, it costs power poles, and the unpredictability adds energy storage demands. It's possible to get all your power from wind, but it's possible to get all your power from any of the other methods if you really want to. Some people really like geothermal, think geothermal is overpowered, and hate wind.

I don't know what you mean about water from steam equaling wind power. It's an energy storage option rather than an energy production method like wind. It does add a lot of complexity and infrastructure cost, since wind power relies on much more energy storage than other generation methods. The cost of wind turbines is deceptively low, but it gets a bit more expensive once you account for the storage costs. Electrolysis is also not 100% efficient, particularly at lower tech levels, so some of your wind energy is lost when stored.

I'm assuming the "other recipes" in this context is referring to other combustion chamber recipes for steam, but I'm not sure because you're covering multiple topics here. The combustion recipes are not intended to be more energy efficient than simple electrolysis. Rather they're options for voiding excess hydrocarbons, since you may not synthesize them in precisely the same ratio that you consume them.

Hydrogen is a simple but effective energy storage option, both in Nullius and in the real world. One important alternative to that is compressed nitrogen. You get a lot of free nitrogen as a byproduct, and compressed nitrogen is even easier to use than hydrogen.

Not sure what the "lol" is suggesting, as "air" is not synonymous with "oxygen". Lots of exoplanets have atmospheres. Most of them don't have free oxygen. E.g. Mars has a thin atmosphere consisting mostly of carbon dioxide. Nullius has a thicker atmosphere than Mars, more similar to primordial earth, back before bacteria started producing oxygen.

New response