Nullius

In this Factorio prequel, you're an android terraforming planets and seeding them with life. Replaces all recipes and technology. No life means no coal, oil, wood, biters, or free oxygen, requiring varied renewable energy sources. For reliability, you'll focus on abundant elements from the air, sea, or common minerals such as iron ore, bauxite, sandstone, and limestone. Advanced technology enables asteroid mining of rarer elements.

Overhaul
3 months ago
Environment Mining Fluids Manufacturing Power

i Traffic Control Tech

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Ok, so one can not really do trains without rail signals, right? That's a given.
The "Traffic Control" tech, which unlocks signals, is locked behind the "Sensors 1" tech, which is reasonable. You need sensors to produce signals.
BUT
"Sensors 1" tech requires "Glassmaking 1" for NO REASON AT ALL, forcing one to research a metric TON of completely unrelated random junk just to unlock sensors.
Nitrogen Chemistry 1, Silica Processing 2, Limestone Processing 1, Energy Storage 2, Mineral Processing 2, Mining 2, Geology 2, Electrolysis 3 and Pumping 2.
One CAN NOT prevent his trains from smashing into each other if he can't into geology, yeah. Because reasons.
So "Glassmaking 1" should NOT be required for "Sensors 1". Please.
This may not seem like a problem at all, but I'm playing on x40 normal science. And you can try too )

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

... or this suggestion can be completely ignored.
In my game I've unlocked "Traffic Control" BEFORE I've got my very first two proper stations. So this situation stays even on x40 science. I'm considering playing x200 now, but it is scary ) Noone will ever play on x200, so this tech situation is actually fine.
But it feels wrong nonetheless )

2 years ago

Some of the tech requirements in Nullius are more conceptual than merely the minimal set of requirements to be able to craft something. The concept here is that prior to proper glassmaking tech, the glass you have access to is inferior quality, suitable for some purposes like chemistry lab vessels or windows, but with microscopic flaws that make it unsuitable for very delicate tiny lenses needed for sensors. I didn't want to actually represent these grades of glass with separate intermediate items, because I'm trying to keep intermediates somewhat more streamlined than that, but your glass gets slightly better quality with glassmaking tech and is now suitable for sensors.

I am sensitive to the fact that some people like to go for a rail grid base from early on, and also some of those players like a high tech multiplier (you're not the first to point out that rail signals take a while to unlock with high tech multipliers). So I'm on the fence about this. I kind of like sensor technology to not be trivial and also to have sensors in rail signals, so there are some constraints here that make it awkward to have them be super low tech. For regular players I would say that once you automate electronic science at all, the research costs are low enough that it's not hard to power through to the later electronic techs. Electronics tech was designed to be early mid game, with some essential stuff like train signals that you need pretty early, it was not conceived as something super expensive. But with a big multiplier obviously it's a different situation.

In general, do be careful with a super high tech multiplier for Nullius, because the tech costs already inflate a lot more than vanilla when you get to physics and astronomy. It's meant to be kind of cheap tech for the first half, precisely because there is a lot of essential stuff you need to start building a big rail base, but the latter half will make up for that. After you have all the tools you need to build big, the tech costs will make you do it. Some people who don't like to build big already give up somewhere around late chemistry or physics as the costs grow exponentially, so a big multiplier is a big commitment. Check out the end game technologies. The last rocket science tech is all you need to win, and that's 100k science. But then there are some post victory techs for millions of science, and a much wider array of infinite techs than vanilla. So there are some built in rewards there for building really big factories.

If you end up biting off more than you can chew with a high tech multiplier, you can change it in the settings, so it's not necessarily a game ender. But the same logic goes both ways. If you consider certain electronics tech to be essential before you can start scaling up your factory, you could always go the other way and only turn on the multiplier once you have your essential basics like train signals researched.

2 years ago

As a compromise solution, I've decided to reduce the costs of some of the early electrical engineering techs, particularly those in the pathway to traffic control. So there might be around 1/3 less research or so required to unlock rail signals. There was a pretty steep jump in tech costs from mechanical to electrical, but simply having the new research pack in the cost is already a jump in cost, so also sharply raising the number of packs was a bit severe. Also, the start of electrical engineering is where tech multipliers kick in, so it's a particularly rough transition with a multiplier. Most of the techs not in the pathway to traffic control have their costs unchanged, so there is still a ramp up in costs during electrical engineering, but it's a little more toward the latter half of that tech era rather than quite so early.

I'm testing these changes locally, but they'll be in the next update sometime this week.

2 years ago

I've gone a bit further than this and made many of the techs on the pathway to traffic control be immune to the tech multiplier, since this seems to be the root of the problem.

2 years ago

Wow, thank you. Kinda surprizing that you are working on this problem. Someone other would not care.
I think whatever solution you will come up with will be better than previous situation )

New response