Nullius

In this Factorio prequel, you're an android terraforming planets and seeding them with life. Replaces all recipes and technology. No life means no coal, oil, wood, biters, or free oxygen, requiring varied renewable energy sources. For reliability, you'll focus on abundant elements from the air, sea, or common minerals such as iron ore, bauxite, sandstone, and limestone. Advanced technology enables asteroid mining of rarer elements.

Overhaul
3 months ago
Environment Mining Fluids Manufacturing Power

i Idea: Handcrafting costs energy

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Would be very realistic and immersive to have an energy cost for handcrafting stuff.
The player in this mod is kinda robot after all.
And this energy cost will be another (and realistic) reason for him to automate his production.
Well, this also would make sense in vanilla too - with some form of "stamina" instead, but there is no "stamina" in vanilla.
But in this mod the player starts with battery in his chest, whose charge can be (and effectively already IS) the "stamina" we need.
So is this doable?

3 years ago

I mean it would make sense, and yeah it would just use your equipment battery energy. If you don't have a battery you'd be out of luck, but since you start with one in Nullius, there's no reason not to have one.

Technically, it seems like it might be possible, but I think the scripting could get a little awkward. There doesn't appear to be a simple way to do it that I can see. There are events to see when someone starts crafting, but I don't know of a way to drain their battery energy without having a script run N times per second and traverse their equipment grid looking for batteries to subtract energy from. Then you'd set their crafting speed modifier to -100% if they don't have sufficient energy in their batteries. Per tick scripts are not great, but it's not out of the question, since there's usually only one or a small number of players. But having a big multiplayer game with each person having lots of equipment slots, and it could start to add up unless you're very careful about how you code it.

Seems like enough complexity that it would make sense as a standalone mod, so people could get that behavior in other mod packs if they want. It should be something that doesn't really care what other mods you're using, it would just work without any dependencies. The only issue is that it would need to be paired with another mod like Nullius that lets you start out with battery energy, or you'd be completely stuck in the early game.

New response