Nullius

In this Factorio prequel, you're an android terraforming planets and seeding them with life. Replaces all recipes and technology. No life means no coal, oil, wood, biters, or free oxygen, requiring varied renewable energy sources. For reliability, you'll focus on abundant elements from the air, sea, or common minerals such as iron ore, bauxite, sandstone, and limestone. Advanced technology enables asteroid mining of rarer elements.

Overhaul
3 months ago
Environment Mining Fluids Manufacturing Power

g How to replace bots?

3 years ago

We reached the second bot tier now, but I can't see a way to efficiently/automatically replace bots. With about 8000 construction bots and somewhat around 36000 logistic bots, I can't see us replacing them all by hand.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Is there a Nullius compatible bot replacement mod?

Cheers

3 years ago

I have "Robot Replacer" on my to-do list to make it compatible with Nullius. It looks fairly straightforward, but I don't have it yet. I agree that it can be a pain. For me it wasn't that bad to collect them from hangars, because I mostly had bots limited to my mall area, and used a lot of relays, so the hangars were in a small area. But with bots more spread out it's more difficult.

3 years ago

That would be awesome. For now I created a new blueprint for the server that includes filter inserters that take out the old bots on each newly built base part. It will have to be updated for every tier of bots though, so Robot Replacer compatibility would be very welcome.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I personally don't see a problem there at all.
The bot replacement is a puzzle by itself - one of the reasons why we play Factorio to begin with.
If we had a pre-made easy "solution" to every "problem" - what would be the point to play?
We have our filter inserters, circuits and already VERY smart bots - what else do we need? A boring "do everything for me" facility or script? Why?
But maybe it's just me.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

There's always the problem in game design that if you make it too convenient and remove all challenge, the game breaks down and is no fun or engaging anymore. Same goes with cheats, you have to learn to use them in a way that not takes all the fun out of a game, or if you can't, you better avoid touching them at all.

That said, bots in vanilla have only one tier, so there is no tool in the game engine to deal with the arising issue of multiple bot tiers.
I wouldn't call bot replacement a puzzle. Maybe on a small scale it is a puzzle, and such a trivial one that it is not a challenge. On a huge scale (e.g. in a hundreds or even thousands of chunks base), it is a chore, not a challenge either. It would make you have to restamp your blueprints all over the place, when you get a new bot tier, and that would only work if you preplanned for this, otherwise you'd have to rebuild that base, at which point I would rather quit or do some kind of cheat/script instead.

As for bots being "VERY smart", I wonder what makes you think that. They are not smart at all, they just pick up an item and fly straight to the target. Even to an extent of... imagine having a square lake, with an edge length higher than two times your bots range per charge. Imagine them starting in the middle of one edge, targeting the middle of the opposite edge. They will keep flying over the lake, turning back, going to recharge, then starting to fly again, even if they had a way around the lake.

I guess it's not just you, many will agree with you, many won't. Play styles differ a lot, and one player's fun will be another player's annoyance. That's what mods are for, as no game creator will ever be able to tailor a game to all potential players preferences.
As such, I'm very happy Factorio supports mods, and from what I can see, no other game does it in a better way than Factorio.

2 years ago

The latest update adds compatibility for the Robot Replacer mod. You get the technology a little after you get tier 2 bots, but there's not a big gap there. It's unlocked by the Distribution 2 tech.

2 years ago

Thank you!

New response