Cheese's Concentrated Solar

Adds concentrated solar energy based around heliostat mirrors, which can point at solar power towers to generate heat for heliothermal energy production, or solar lens towers to generate giant lasers.

Content
5 months ago
Combat Power

g Is it inspired by the pY feature?

1 year, 4 months ago

(unfortunately) no, so far I've only gotten through K2 and starting K2SE, haven't ever touched pY, wasn't aware it had this. Made the mod out of not liking the existing selection but it looks like pY doesn't have a description or pictures on the mod page for some reason so it never came up in searches?
Oh well, will have to compare implementations.

1 year, 4 months ago
(updated 1 year, 4 months ago)

My adventure comparing the two (as a new modder):
- Obviously their mod is part of an overhaul and mine is more vanilla+, letting the pY tower actually use molten salt as in real life, although irl it would only take 2 pY towers to match the concentrated solar power production of the entire world in 2021, so there’s that.
- Both mods suffer from not working and/or crashing in the editor, which doesn't raise on entity destroyed events.
- Their tower is a boiler, mine is a reactor. Both work by setting the temperature of an input fluid. They called theirs "void" instead of the solar intensity in this mod, which isn't as fun I think.
- Their mirrors are rotated by creating an individual entity for each rotation stage, mine is rotated using a turret and setting it's orientation. This means theirs saves the useless "turret" infobox, but is more complicated to work with and creates a lot of entity types (not sure if this is impactful).
- The tower/mirror linking works in mostly the same way, with a small optimisation to finding the towers that I did not know about (limit=1 on find entities filtered).
- pY has a proper GUI system which I would love to add to this mod too, but as I'm still working out stuff wanted to save that for later.
- The towers are all updated every 60 ticks, where in this mod the updates are staggered (eg 20% of the towers every 10 ticks completing them all over 50 ticks), I prefer my version here, but it wouldn't really effect anything because pY needs many fewer towers.
- Their towers have a range indicator, which is also something I need to add, implemented in the same way as other places I've seen it.
- Their towers cannot be placed within range of each other, while mine can, which made dealing with tower destruction more complicated for me.

This forum didn't at all need such a long response but there you go, its interesting to look at two versions of effectively the same thing. Thanks for trying my mod though!

1 year, 3 months ago
  • Their mirrors are rotated by creating an individual entity for each rotation stage, mine is rotated using a turret and setting it's orientation. This means theirs saves the useless "turret" infobox, but is more complicated to work with and creates a lot of entity types (not sure if this is impactful).

The panels are made with simple entity's. So they have very little attached to them and shouldn't have anymore impact than say a vanilla solar panel.

Worse part is the small amount of data wasted storaging the extra copies but that shouldn't be enough to actually matter unless your trying to save everything to a floppy disk.

New response