Ultracube: Age of Cube

Unravel the mysteries of the ultradense utility cube in this devious overhaul mod. See the mod page for a complete list of compatible mods.

Overhaul
a month ago
Logistics Trains Circuit network Manufacturing Power

g Any ways to improve load/unload speed?

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

Hey all, I would be grateful for any hints on how to minimize the idle time while the resources are getting unloaded from some cube-using machine.
So far, I make an in/out buffer + circuits to only take cube when there are enough ingredients in buffer (since we can't attach wires and count resources inside the machine itself). Plus some circuits to decide if the cube can be reused right now or needs to be sent back to a boiler.
The problem is mostly with Ultradense furnace and it's bulk ore smelting, inserters do not start filling it until the output is empty, and during that time the cube idly sits in it while the output is being cleared and then inserters start to load new ore.
I don't have stack inserters yet, so maybe that would be better when I get them, but still the main problem is that they won't start loading resources until the products are fully unloaded.
Sending the cube to other machines down the line would be also a solution but that would mean that if it's non needed anywhere else it would just idly travel the whole 'cube loop'.
Any ideas on how to handle this?
I remembered that Deadlock's loaders always loaded machines to full regardless of it's output but too bad, that mod isn't supported, and I didn't find any mod that could just modify vanilla inserters behavior.

2 months ago

I used 4 smelters and then alternated between those while the resources were still in need

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

I used 4 smelters and then alternated between those while the resources were still in need

Thanks! I didn't think of that, probably it's the best and easiest solution.

New response