Ultracube: Age of Cube

Unravel the mysteries of the ultradense utility cube in this devious overhaul mod. See the mod page for a complete list of compatible mods.

Overhaul
a month ago
Logistics Trains Circuit network Manufacturing Power

i Really enjoyed it. Here is my feedback.

3 months ago

Had a blast playing this. It is such a different challenge to vanilla or any other mod that it recreates, for the experienced player, the fun of playing Factorio for the first time. I won't bother to list all the things I loved about the mod, I'll just mention a few ideas for future tweaks:

RESEARCH:

Tier 1 - Can speed through it in an hour by mainly handcrafting / hand placing everything. Consider making the latter part of tier 1 considerably more expensive, to encourage the player to begin automating.

Tier 2 - Good.

Tier 3/4/5 - In each of these tiers, once I set up the system for producing the cards, there was no requirement or incentive to do much else in order to complete the remaining research. Perhaps the start of the tiers could be cheaper, to incentivise the player to cobble together a small amount of cards to complete some initial research. Then, now understanding the production requirements, the player could begin working on a production line to generate them at scale.

BOTS: Bot progression was well balanced. Giving the player 5 bots to start works really well. My only suggestion is that I found pairing of slow + fast logistics bots an unnecessary complication. Was the intention to prevent the player from using logistics bots to easily move the cube around? If so, I dont think that is a concern, as logistics only becomes available relatively late game. If at that point the player wants to rewire their base for bot delivery of the cube, that would be a creative circuitry challenge.

MYSTERY FURNACE: Ensuring that HAUNTED ENERGY CELL is only inserted as fuel and not as the product was a repeat annoyance. Recommend disabling it as a potential product (so whenever inserted, it's only fuel).

QUANTUM DECODER: I enjoyed this challenge. I'll be interested to see how other players find it. Recommended including in the Quantum Decoder tips and tricks that, when successful, it produces 10x QUANTUM CALIBRATION DATA. (The 10x is easy to overlook as there is no normal recipe info).

EXPERIMENTAL TELEPORTER: Seems cool, but I never had a need to build it. Maybe it could be lower tier and it moves the player only, and then higher tier to move items.

INVENTORY SLOTS: A bit too limiting IMO. Recommend making the toolbelt research cheaper. Perhaps it goes up by 50% each level, rather than 100%.

2 months ago

Thank you!

New response