Schall Radioactive Waste

Provides different ways to handle the nuclear wastes (e.g., U-238) that are often in excess stockpiles. Adds an incinerator, which is particularly useful for peaceful mode. Combat-addicted players can also use it to intentionally raise the pollution level (evolution factor) quickly! Adds radiological warfare (optional), which is the more “evil” way to make use of the waste. Includes dirty bomb, decontamination capsule. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, Português Brasileiro)

Content
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Combat Storage

i [Solved] Great Mod

2 years ago

This was just what I was looking for, a bug killing use for all the dang U-238 stockpiling up.
It would also be great to add the dirty bomb(s) with the atomic bomb for a double whammy,
I don't know if that's possible, just an idea. Thanks again !!!

2 years ago

Glad you like that.
This would be a reasonable, though unethical, use of the depleted uranium piles. On such remote planet where there are no other humans, ethic code may not even exist...

What do you mean by adding the dirty bomb(s) with the atomic bomb?
Do you mean adding its effect, the radioactive cloud?
If yes, that was actually what I wanted to implement some time ago, but always get distracted to other mods or IRL matters...
I think that the nukes are too "clean" in Factorio (and actually in most video games). Player characters and alien can still happily stay if the immediate damage have not killed them...
Real-world armies would need to wait for some time and some NBC equipment, to enter a battlefield that was tactically nuked before. So I guess adding radioactive cloud as a long-lasting effect to vanilla atomic bomb would add some realism and also practical use.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Yes exactly, I think the green glowing clouds from the dirty bombs are perfect, if the atomic bomb had that effect in the crater (scorched area)
after the initial blast that would be the perfect combo. Too many times with large bug nests I've seen the behemoth bugs survive the atomic blast
(which is not realistic) Hopefully a double whammy with the dirty bomb combined would knock them out. I think a fair recipe for combo bomb would be
1 atomic bomb+1 dirty bomb & maybe an extra 30 U-238 for good measure !!

2 years ago

Great! We have very similar idea on this one.
I will work on this after resolving the more urgent stuff.
Not going to change the recipe though. I think the atomic bomb has way more radioactive elements and isotopes in it, to contribute the radioactive cloud. So no need to add the "cheap" U-238 in order to justify the added effect. And many mods love to adjust this recipe to their own resources... So I prefer not to touch the recipe, to prevent potential mod conflicts.

I am not sure on how many / large radioactive cloud of atomic bomb (compared to dirty bomb) should be. In principle the atomic bomb will leave waaay more deadly stuff than the dirty bomb. But for gaming balance, maybe that should not differ too much? What do you feel on this one?

2 years ago

I know nothing about modding or programming computer code work and all that, but if possible I think your dirty bomb glowing death cloud (if combined with the atomic bomb) should be sized at least the area of the scorch mark left on the ground by the atomic bomb or maybe a game square or two larger ?
Keeping the original atomic explosion animation but adding the glowing dirty bomb cloud to the area after the atomic blast would be perfect.

2 years ago

Just released 0.17.3 / 0.18.3 / 1.0.1 / 1.1.1. Please see if you enjoy the new(?) effect to the atomic bomb!
If you use my atomic artillery shell and atomic land mine, they get the same thing too.

I do not have scientific(military?) support for how atomic bomb should be compared to dirty bomb.
So I just based it on gaming balance, make it 50% more than dirty bomb.

2 years ago

Wow !!! I think you got it just right !! It even works with the Plutonium Atomic Bomb mod.
It's fun herding the rest of the surviving buggies through the glowing crater and giving them a suntan. :)
I really think this mod should be added to the vanilla game atomic bomb, it just makes sense !!
Thanks again, great job !!!

New response