Schall Radar Alignment

Displaying player's position in coordinates. Assist in radar placement and alignment with an indicator. Designed for OCD players who want to have complete radar coverage of the map, for surveillance or showcasing purposes. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Русский, Português Brasileiro)

Utilities
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

i [Solved] add some way to quickly set the "origin" point of the radar grid

2 years ago

I usually end up building my initial base somewhere a bit offset from the 0,0 chunk; it almost always turns out a better starting point is close but not on top of it. So, in each game I end up adjusting the offsets for the radar grid -- what this mod considers "0,0" rather than the actual map "0,0" chunk.

It'd be wonderful if I could just hit a button or something to automatically set the offsets to the current chunk. That way I place my first radar somewhere convenient on my initial base, hit the button to set the offset for this map automatically, and have everything align nicely.

It would also be nice if the mod automatically did that -- kept track of if I ever built a radar before, and then set the chunk offset the first time I built a ghost or actual radar.

Even if you did automation, though, it'd probably still be nice to have the manual override.

PS: I'm pretty indifferent to what the user interface is. I'd be fine with, eg, a slash command to set the placement to the current chunk, if you wanted to experiment or whatever. (also, if you just wanted to provide a lua "remote" api for setting the offset, I can provide my own UI. :)

2 years ago

Yes, I admit that the current UX is not user-friendly enough.
Schall Radar Alignment was my FIRST published mod ever (2018.10)! I should start to revise my older mods.

At that time, I knew nothing about saving variables (global namespace) to the game file. I think I first learned how to make good use of it when making Schall Railway Controller (2020.06).
Nor I could knew saving them as mod settings was even possible, which was learnt even more recently.
Without knowing the above techniques, so I have to rely on users to manually input as mod settings (the current scheme) to set the reference chunk.

BTW, my old GUI was rather primitive before the major GUI revamp in 2020.08. Not surprising, this was again after Schall Railway Controller was released, which was where I first learned to implement a modern GUI with buttons, tables, and all kinds of stuff.

End of storytelling. Back to business.
So my plan for the next UI/UX revamp, would be to provide a "calibration" button on the GUI directly. Clicking it will directly saves the necessary values, hence the users are no longer needed to set those in mod options menu. This will simplify the whole process to just one click on the GUI.

And I believe it is also much better and user-friendly than a remote interface or a console command, as this mod already has a GUI. (Remote interface is better for debugging or inter-mod communications/support, like in my Schall Recharging Weapon.)

Also, with this new approach, I can store different settings for each surface. So it will support multi surfaces, if the users play with such mods.

Currently I am working on other stuff, after that I will be back to implement this.
So this may have to wait a bit.

It would also be nice if the mod automatically did that -- kept track of if I ever built a radar before, and then set the chunk offset the first time I built a ghost or actual radar.

Hope the new manual "one-click" approach should be already sufficiently user-friendly.
As one-time (per surface/map) "one-click" calibration is already easy enough, I rather want the users to do this by hand, so they actually know what is going on.
First automatic calibration and later they find that is not the grid they want to follow at all... I want to avoid such situation.

2 years ago

absolutely happy with that -- and no complaints! I love the mod, and find it both helpful, and very user friendly. appreciate the update, and yes, a one click solution sounds perfect.

2 years ago

Just released 0.17.11 / 0.18.6 / 1.0.2 / 1.1.2 for the one-click calibration approach.
Also supports independent calibration on multiple surfaces, and a chunk highlight for easier radar placement.
A major update overall.

2 years ago

<3

New response