Schall Pickup Tower

Adds buildings that automatically collect items on ground. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Português Brasileiro, Русский)

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Logistics

i [Solved] Display of the operation radius

3 years ago

If you move the mouse over the pickup tower, it shows its radius in a green frame.
I find it good. But ...
Could this be represented in a similar way to the robot hangars, or to the repair turrets from "Klonan"?
So: if I want to build a second pickup tower, it shows me both radii. That way I could seamlessly connect several pickup towers.

Currently I have to count tiles, or I set the towers at roughly estimated intervals.

3 years ago

Interesting idea. I will see what I can do with it.
Showing the radii of existing PTs are easy.
Showing the radii of holding PT is tricky, as it is movable and I am not familiar with the drawing with movable PT.

3 years ago

Oh, didn't know that objects held with the mouse are more difficult to show the range.
But I would be really grateful if you could somehow incorporate that.
Let me know if it works and what you can do ...

3 years ago

The new versions 0.17.8 / 0.18.2 should provide the requested functionality.

I realized the radius visualization when holding item in cursor, was actually available since game version 0.18.0. Just I have missed that in the massive change log. It makes my life much easier. (The other finding is that "chasing" the cursor position to get/draw around cursor is not possible. Game API does not allow that, as that is non-deterministic. Say, in multiplayer games, sending mouse cursor coordinates of every move to other players... simply not feasible...)
So for 0.17.8, I cannot provide the same radius visualization when holding item in cursor.

Showing the radii of existing/neighbouring PTs are provided by these new versions. I tried to make them looking similar to that of the roboport radii. (The new-found in-game radius visualization cannot do this though. I am just reprogramming how my own renderings show or hide.)

3 years ago

Great! I thank you! Good work!

I've already installed and tested it. The green frame is unfortunately a bit difficult to see on a green background ...
Maybe a clearer color? That stands out from all surfaces.

Little did I know how difficult it is to implement such a feature.
But it was worth it! Now the PTs are much easier to place.

What I wrote on "Schall Suit" I don't have to write here again, do I? Otherwise it would be double ...
(Because of my question about the PT3 and PT4, and the change in price.)

3 years ago

I used the green colour trying to mimic the vanilla turret range display. It is possible to change to another one if it is really bad. Maybe a red one like this mod's thumbnail background? (Then I looks like the roboport area radius visualization, I guess?)
Have to stay at the similar transparency/opacity, thus similar brightness though. Because it should be in similar style like turret range or roboport range. And it is important when users stack multiple PT in the area.

Yea, no need of double posting.
As your reply there was long, I am moving those points relevant to PTs here.
There is a mod option "Highest tier Pickup tower" under Startup tab. Default is "2". You need to tune it up to see PT3 and PT4.

PS:
I will *slowly" read and reply your another post.
Because for now, I have just started 1.0 and having fun with the brand new super Spidertron.
Glad all my 0.18 mods are automatically working with game 1.0, without any obvious flaw/bug. (Maybe need some fine tune to 1.0 prototype changes, but not urgent as the game can load all my mods without error.)
Yet I need to spend some time on Spidertron, as it gives me some insights and potential new mod features.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

A red background, as you can see in the thumbnail, might actually be better. Maybe an option in the settings?
Each player could then decide for himself which color he would like to be displayed. (Should that be rellevant.)
After all, there are no red floors. This would make the area easier to see. Finally, you have to zoom out far to see the connection well. And I think the PT 2 has an even larger radius.

Yes, I have already found the option for PT 3 and 4. I'll leave it at 2. I don't want it TOO strong ...

Question: Have I now correctly understood the function, or can the logistics drones later also pick up the alien ores from the PTs?

YEAH! Finally version 1.0!
The new Spidertrons have a real hype!
Have you seen the mod "Insectitronics"? A fantastic idea ...
I haven't researched the technology yet, but I hope it's well balanced.

And I'm happy for you that your mods work without problems in the new 1.0 version!

New insights, thanks to the new Spidertron?
Well, I'm looking forward to your next mod ... ;)
Maybe other Spider variants, similar to the "Insectitronics" Mod?
Let's see what's coming from your mod forge soon. :D

3 years ago

Yes, I was just planning to allow choosing radius background colour in the startup settings. Maybe I just give a few colours as options.
Choosing radius background colour per player may not be feasible though, because they have to be shared by all players, in case of a multiplayer game.

For my own experience and design, two tiers (so up to PT II) are well enough. Radius 64 is well enough to covering anywhere when placed together with turret groups.
Later then, some users requested a PT III, for a modded turret having some crazy range of 80... So I just expanded to PT IV in a go, because I know that someone will ask for that soon. :-D
But of course, I actually discourage users from using them if not for such long range turrets. Large range/area searches means potentially lag spikes. Between to split to multiple smaller searches for smoother game performance.

I have thought of whether to use steel chest or logistics chest as the "lower part" of the tower, upon mode creation. Here were my proposals:
A/ Steel chest. (Current solution) Useful for users not wanting to connecting them to logistics network, as these outlying PTs are often in some remote area, sending bots to death traps. And for users (like me) who just connect them to the resources system "permanently", by loaders and belts, I really do not want to "waste" bots on them.
B/ Logistic chest (single type). The question comes: which kind of chest to use? Passive provider, active provider, and storage chest?
B1/ Passive provider chest. PRO: Will not consume the bots when not requested. CON: The residual items will harm/block the pickup ability unless it is cleared again. (Unsuccessful picks because of fullness will leave items on ground, harming both UPS/FPS.)
B2/ Active provide chest. PRO: Do not have the residual items problem. CON: Sudden swarms to transfer items after each pickup, will be annoying for those who consider base production has a higher priority (on the use of bots) than such non-urgent resource transfer.
B3/ Storage chest. PRO: Bot usage priority fits the best for my use (lower than base production requests). CON: Nearby bots will choose to dump items to here. Even worse residual items problem than logistic chest.
C/ Multiple variants with different chests, including both steel chest and one logistic chest. PRO: More flexible use. CON: Dual set of towers (for every PT tier!) are too messy. There is no single type of logistic chest that is particular better than others, as pointed out in B, I have not decided which one yet...
D/ Multiple variants with different chests, including both steel chest and three logistic chests. PRO: Solved my "Decidophobia". CON: Hey! They will make the recipe menu very messy! Especially when most of them will not be used!

I do not want to choose from B to D. For logistics users, it is easy to transfer via loaders/inserters to any kinds of logistics chests of their choice. So I guess I will just stick to A, unless the game will allow (unlikely) a simple change in the role of logisitcs chests.

Yes, 1.0 is bringing me a lot of mod ideas!
I am in the progress of a new mod "Schall Spider Platoon" (not fixed yet). It will provide Spidertrons of different classes and tiers, using different sizes and different weapons. The vanilla Spidertron is considered as "Medium Tank MK2" equivalently in the vehicle series. (If you played Schall Tank Platoon, you will know what I have talking about.)
Like the above-mentioned mod, there will be lighter and heavier variants (classes) of Spidertrons, an have tier upgrades (MK3).
I am undecided whether to "insert" lower tiers (MK1, or even MK0) for the mid-game or not.
BTW, I have so many choices of guns/weapons, and have a working system of tank classes and tiers. There are no reasons why I cannot do it for Spidertrons too. :-D
The "control" and "automated attack" functionalities of Spidertrons allow me to add some new features to the mod too. So this new mod will allow a more convenient and comfortable to attack with multiple Spidertrons en masse.

I have just looked into "Insectitronics" Mod as you mentioned. The fewer legs configurations do not look good at all, when trying to make use of the 8-legs graphics... Honestly, I have not ever considered using fewer legs. And this mod is a perfect example suggesting me NOT to do that. ;-)

Sadly, it also means too much tasks in my mod features list.
Not to say, I am still spending time on the minor adjustments to make all my mods properly as "1.0.0"...
So this "pickup radius colour choice" option will have a few other mod updates to wait...

3 years ago

Nene, it wasn't my idea to give each player their own color for multiplayer servers. It was already clear to me that that wouldn't work.
It is completely sufficient if the hoster sets a color.
Or in single player, the player chooses his color.

A radius of 64x64 is more than sufficient! More is excessive! Even if there are players who like over-the-top features. Just like my friend I mentioned ...
Believe me, he would activate PT's 3 and 4 ...
He also develops mods. (Well, he's modifying other mods.)
He would even change your mod and add even stronger PT's, I'm sure!

Hmm, you're right about PT's with logistic chests ...
Of course the bots could be destroyed if they fly over the PT's to collect the alien ores. But isn't that the same risk if construction bots fly to the walls during the attack to repair them?
And it is ultimately up to each player whether he wants to use his drones or not.
He doesn't have to build logistics PTs. The question about A to D is interesting ...
So ... I like passive provider chests. The player can use a requester chest to determine whether the items should be picked up.
An active provider Chest also has its advantages ... However, a drone is then sent out immediately for each individual item. Hmm, not so good. But workable.
A buffer or storage chest is nonsense! Not only would the PT be supplied with other items by the drones, but it would also clog the PT.
I imagine it like this:
I am building a PT with passive provider Chest. Then I build normal PT's with steel chests at regular intervals. I connect all PT's with a conveyor belt. But have all items transported from all PTs with steel chests to the PT with the logistics chest. Unless, of course, they are places that are further apart. Then you can use several logistics PTs. (Provided they are in the area of ​​influence of a drone hangar.)

In the case of my idea, you need all three variants. Steel Chest, Passive Provider Chest and (optionally) Active Provider Chest.
Requester Chest is of course nonsense! Nobody needs it and it doesn't make sense ...
The logistics PTs can be unlocked in the research under the vanilla logistics chests. And are made from a PT with a steel chest. (My idea)
Or they get their own research to unlock.
Similar to Transport Drones from Klonan.

The main thing is that it doesn't rekindle your decidophobia ...?
I mostly have the same problem.

Schall Spider Platoon? HA, I knew it! :D
I knew you would also make a Spider-Mod. :D
I installed the Schall Tank Platoon Mod. But I haven't gotten to the point of crafting any of the tanks. (Game and mod updates prevented my progress, so I often started over.)
But I really like the idea of ​​multiple MK stages! MK0, and crafting early would be awesome!
Hey, have an idea ... When you start a new game, a Spider Protector or two will spawn next to your character! Of course MK0. Or MK1. Whichever you find more appropriate.
BUT, and now comes the interesting thing: To be able to build more, you have to research the technology first. ;)
So be careful not to lose your spider protectors right at the beginning. So if they get damaged, take care of them and repair them.
I love this idea ... I hope you like it!
I wish this function ... is that possible?

What weapons will your spiders have?
Also machine gun, shotgun, or later maybe with cannons, rockets or other weapons from your weapon research?
Dude ... Endgame spider with the BFG? xD
But in any case with an equipment grid. Special shield emitters for the Spider. Maybe even upgradeable with energy cells so that you don't need fuel, but batteries or energy cells in the later game.
(I find running a mechanical spider on coal or fuel a little illogical ...)
There are also mods that allow trains to run electrically. So why not allow the spiders to upgrade to electrical systems too?

Hmm, I think the Insectitronics Mod is pretty good ... In real life there are also spiders with different numbers of legs. And the different sizes also make sense with the tier level.
But your mod promises a lot more potential!

What other improvements are there for your mods to bring them fully to 1.0? Apart from HD graphics, or to adapt them to the new graphics from 1.0 ...
Maybe new functions too?

Sure, take your time with the other colors for the radius of the PT's.

So enough written ... you have enough to do. ;)

3 years ago

Good, so our ideas on colour change option are the same. I would do that in the next version.

Sure, I know there are players wanting to abuse my mods, vanilla game, and others' mods. I do not really care, as long as I am not the one to be blamed. 8-)

For PT with logistic chests:
Like I said, Passive Provider Chest still has the problem that the picked items staying there forever, especially for some uncommon items that the logistics network will never request. I would always want to maximize the amount the PTs can pick, so actually not as good as Active Provider Chest if only considering this point...
If only the Steel Chest is applied, then players will be "used to" clear them out quickly by connecting to belts or neighbouring logistic chests.
So I am still not convinced to provide logistic variants.

There are a lot of things can be done to the new Spidertrons, especially on the "control" and "automated attack" functionalities. Actually the new classes and tiers (like Schall Tank Platoon) together are big enough as a single mod. The new functionalities extended may need to be put into a separate mod. Have to see...
Vanilla Spidertron appear too late in the game IMO. At that point, players already have some fancy stuff like atomic bomb, artillery. Not to say with my mods, my Medium Tank MK2 can most certainly defeat it on a fair 1-on-1 fight... So there is a lot of potential to provide MK1 (and even MK0) to allow such wonderful vehicle to be used in mid-game.

Most of your weapon choice would be used by different classes of new spiders.
Shotgun may be an exception. Honestly I cannot understand why some people are in favour of shotgun mechs. :-O
It is hard for me to imagine such a big vehicle/machine firing bullets of such short range, and shotgun bullets are weak even in mid-game... From the viewpoint of rationality and effectiveness, such shotgun-wielding robots would only be meaningful if they are at most in human size, acting as swarms in clearing close quarters. They are next to useless on open grounds like in Factorio worlds. Say, can you imagine the jihadist group are installing shotgun as "mounted weapons" for their Technical / pickup truck? They would install machine gun, autocannon, AA gun, and any crazy weapons they can found... I have never seen one with shotgun.
Yes, BFG is one of my choices. Even id Software do not dare to put that on Doom final boss. XD

For now I am not inclined to change its power system or give it dedicated equipment choices.
Spidertrons can already share the vehicle equipment with the Medium tanks, in my newest update of Schall Tank Platoon. The stronger vehicle batteries and vehicle shields can be installed on them.
I am just treating them as similar military machine as Medium tank, just eight-legged instead of tracked. So no reasons to add spider-only equipment.
But yes, for the low-tier spiders, the power system will be a problem. Vanilla Spidertron is "using" two portable fusion reactors as power source. My lowest tier spiders will definitely come out before that. Maybe I will need to reintroduce fuel system... But I am not sure how the game works with that, because it is unlike the tanks. There is not a consumption parameter in the spider prototype definitions, it may not consume fuel for its movement. Something I never know until testing it out.

My another mod Schall Starting Inventory already allows you to start with up to two Spidertrons... Of course, now you can only choose vanilla Spidertron, and you have to keep their ammo supplied (could be from starting ammo options). All my new vehicle types will also be selectable, after my new mod is done.
So this function is not only possible, but already available!

I have to clarify: I do NOT oppose the idea of using fewer legs on smaller "spiders"/mech. Just the graphics looks quite weird, when that mod tried to use 8-legged sprite sheets in disguising as 4-legged or 5-legged... Not to say, 5-legs configuration is not a sane engineering choice.

3 years ago

Just released 0.18.3 / 1.0.0.
Now you can choose the pickup range visualization colour now.

3 years ago

Unfortunately, I couldn't answer earlier.

I understand your explanation, why you don't make provider and requester chests.
Of course, the requester and provider chests that you can research are sufficient.
I just thought ... Klonan also has provider and requester depots in his mod "Transport Drones". So I thought it would be useful for the PTs.

That's true. The vanilla spidertrons are really late. And pretty weak for what it costs to research.
Your Spidertrons offer variety and skills for every tech level. They are strong according to the respective tech level.
But hey, the developers of Factorio also said it was a small gift and originally just a "gimmick".
Your mod should also be interesting for multiplayer. Every player can assemble his Spiderbots himself the way he wants. Including the equipment grid. Then when the Spidertrons fight each other ... may the stronger ones win. : D
Rock, scissors, paper. : D
Yeah good. I never play PvP. I prefer to play PvE.

Shotguns for Spidertrons ... well.
The combat shotgun? She is stronger! And if a Spidertron has 4 or more, it can quickly shred approaching aliens!
When I run through a nest with a combat shotgun, there's not much left ... it's not weak. Now imagine a contingent of multiple Spidertrons that have combat shotguns. And they run through a nest. Would be a nice spectacle! : D
None of my YouTube colleagues takes a shotgun. But the gun certainly has some fans.
In the late game, of course, I prefer energy weapons! Lasers, for example. I haven't had the BFG or any other gun.
But I have to research it first.

Your comparison, that the jihadist group are installing shotgun as "mounted weapons" for their technical / pickup truck, sounds crazy! Absolutely unsuitable for long-range combat. :O

Haha, that would be something ... Doom's boss give the BFG. You wouldn't have a chance. You would die again and again. xD
But hey, there are the craziest mods out there. Especially for the players who are into torture. xD

Universal equipment for the Spidertrons is completely sufficient.
And it goes with your tank mod.
I find it generally practical that your new Spidertron Mod is completely compatible and has a similar structure to the Tank Platoon Mod. Install both mods and you can choose whether you want tanks with the BFG, cannons or other energy weapons, or rather Spidertrons with a BFG, cannon or other energy weapon. It reminds me of the classic game "Thandor - the Invasion". There you also had the choice between tanks, floor gliders or walkers. (Mechs) And they could all carry the same weapons.

And battery operated ... it doesn't matter.
We can see how efficiently the e-cars work. xD

Only on trains do I prefer to play with electric locomotives. The Mod "Realistic Electric Trains". Super realistic and nicely done!

Your Starting Inventory Mod sounds good. If I make a new game again, this mod is my first choice!
Do you also get "starting ammunition" for the two Spidertrons?

You could be right. If the Spiderbot runs weird with fewer legs, it looks ... ugly. Not beautiful anymore.
Can you do it better?

I keep all my mods up to date. It's great if I can choose the color now. Thank you for your great work!

3 years ago

I can understand many people have a passion on shotguns, for being more popular in daily life. Using shotguns for hunting, and for police in hostage rescues (because of their LOW penetration power so not to risk killing the hostages after hitting tangos.) Shotguns also have quite short range. They are good reasons why US government forbids civilians to possess automatic rifles, but allows shotguns with good abundance. This is why it is popular among civilians: they are less lethal.

Chainsaw is another such kind of "gimmick" weapon. Obviously zombie fans (and Doom fans) have great passion on that. Chainsaw is effective in low-tech/low-production scenario, where one cannot afford firing rifles a lot for being limited on ammo supply. But when you have a small factory producing your own (limitless) ammo supply, will you still insists to use chainsaw over SMG or assault rifle? I doubt that.

Jihadist group's weapon of choice is a very good indicator. If they don't bother to mount them on their vehicles, they are either too expensive or too inferior on real battlefields.

Regarding the same weapons with tanks, I have also considered changing the recipes of tanks to be similar... But I am afraid those recipes are too fundamental to be changed, affecting too many players. So I decided to leave it.

I have tried "Realistic Electric Trains", where I realize I have to lay down a lot of new poles (wonder why not done by vanilla medium or big poles). Also it seems to rely on a lot of scripting to do the power checks and power transfer. It does not sound too UPS-friendly to my playstyle.

Regarding "Schall Starting Inventory", I am not sure if I have already told you or not. All my Spidertrons are available as options.
For starting ammunition, they will share with your three ammo types. For example, you can use the Plasma clip, so it is shared by your Plasma rifle and the Light Spidertron guns. (You can select to start with a LOT of stacks to a type.)

Spiders have 8 legs from natural selection, and I am going to stick to that. So I will not worry about the cases with fewer legs.

One thing about the Spidertron paint... The game copy/paste entity settings do not work on them (which can be done on locomotives). Game prototype does not allow preset colours (which can be done on tanks and locomotives). So it is inconvenient if players want to paint their Spidertron squad to desired colour (say, green). I will provide such function in my part two mod, something like what I did in "Schall Railway Controller".

3 years ago

Hmm, I didn't think about the realistic worldview now. The Americans are gun crazy anyway.
I see the reason for the high crime rate in this crazy gun law.
I only know shotguns from games, and I know how effective they can be against enemies. Of course, it is pointless at a distance. Imagine: A heavily armored Spiderbot confronts the aliens and shoots the aliens with 2, 3, 4 shotguns. That would be an extermination machine.

As an example: The Scattergun Turrets. (Included in the Mod "Modular Turrets")
These are front turrets. But heavily armored. They shave away the approaching aliens really well. And then there is the armor-piercing - and last but not least - uranium shotshells.
This is how you turn an ineffective weapon into an effective one. (My opinion.)

Um, yeah. Melee weapons ...
Sometimes helpful when you're out of ammo. But you mustn't be stingy in the wrong place.
Then I'd better take the second weapon made available to me: the pistol. This will keep your opponents at a distance. But not with a melee weapon.
No matter if zombies or aliens.
May be because I don't have any hand-to-hand combat games and play.

You are a Doom fan yourself. Otherwise you would not have installed the BFG. :D
Are epic weapons ... and Doom is a classic!

That makes your mod modular if you keep the recipes identical.
You can just use anything. Whether for the tank or for the Spidertron. Anyone who knows the weapons from your Spidertron Mod also knows how to use them for their tanks. It's practical ...

I thought to myself that the mod "realistic electric train" UPS is unfriendly. :/ But I can't do without them. She is just too awesome!
Electronics is my biggest hobby. And I like - as you know - realism. I don't like the other Electric Train Mod. Unrealistic, you put an accumulator somewhere and you run a lot of trains? Noooo!

I've already tried the mod "Schall starting inventory" and took a light Spidertron to start. Plus fuel and some ammunition ... So just one stack.
The Spiderbot helped very well in defense. Especially at the beginning, when the wave got bigger.

It's okay like that. Spiders also have 8 legs. It should be and stay that way.

Sounds like a solution, how the Spidertrons can be colored.
For me personally it would be enough if the Spidertrons got the color of the player who built it.
I think it's a shame that this doesn't work with the turrets. The turrets always get the color of the player who is hosting the game.

3 years ago

If purely consider in military consideration as a commander on the Factorio planet (so disregarding realworld view and love of shotguns), still I would not bother with shotguns.
Shotgun shells have quite poor penetration, only effective against unarmoured targets. Mythbusters have a video that even slugs can be stopped by a household fish tank. It is a joke on actual battlefield versus armoured enemies.
According to settings of Factorio aliens, medium biters and above have armour. So in principle, shotguns are not for repelling biters. And in practice, biters are the only enemy type that will come into shooting range.
To kill bugs in close range, I have flamethrower, cannon, autocannon (not mentioning the particle weapons), all can get the job done. Even the weaker rifle bullets are significantly better than the shotgun shells. So why should I insist to use shotguns in my turrets or mech/robot army, to render my forces weaker?

Honestly, shotguns are only useful against door locks (breaching), civilians, and bank robbers! (If they wear body armour, something is really wrong here.)
There are no banks for spitters to rob. They will just stand afar and melt my base with acid.

And finally, I can never understand the logic of shotgun turret...
Turret is static, and is not concealed like the land mines. Biters' armour resist the shotgun shells, while spitters will melt you from afar. So what's the point of using that?
If heavy armour can be applied on the turret, why not do it on flamethrower or (auto-)cannon turret instead?

About uranium (DU) shotgun shells, I am not a fan of that neither.
Applying DU is going to increase the damage (if ever) to unarmoured targets, but still not going to penetrate any armour because of that.
It would inflict a higher damage by the gamey damage formula... But logically, if it cannot get through the armour, there is still ZERO penetration damage. Yes, the high-density shell is going to cause a stronger pain (from the momentum), but still far from damage to kill.

Regarding the recipes of tanks against Spidertrons (thus mech), there is a fundamental difference.
A tank usually has fixed primary weapon, as it is too costly to design and swap another piece of tank turret.
A mech, however, is usually more flexible (in Mechwarrior, Gundam, or any references). Usually it has some mount points, or simply using its mech hand, to hold the weapons.
So even for realism/logical concern, tanks are not as modular as mechs. It adds a weight to "not do" side, among the other factors.

It would be interesting if the power network is not so simple, but having resistance and power loss on transfer. It will be more beneficial to place energy consumers (factories) near to the power generators, thus strategical decisions in placement between coal fields and iron ore fields.
Of course, I do not see any possibilities that it will ever be implemented as vanilla. As modding, it will probably be too script-heavy under current modding API.
I am no knowledge on what algorithms or formula are used by commercial software to simulate large circuits, although I have major in physics. (I know Kirchhoff's laws, but real applications are going to be much much more than that.)
If such power loss is a thing in game, then it would be as built-in support to the electric network to trains.

I also love starting with light Spidertron, using it as early-game transportation and scout. Yes, parking it as a temporary turret performs very well.

I am more demanding on colour thingy.
As my part two mod is maintaining battalion-sized groups (assuming 10~100 vehicles), I want to apply colour code paint job to different weapon sets. (Just like my trains. I love to colour code my trains according to cargo type. My "Schall Railway Controller" is allowing easy train colour picks.)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I'm sorry I haven't answered in a long time ...
I focused on another game for a long time. And English is very exhausting for me ...

You're right, of course. Makes no sense.
I picked up the idea from ​​the IR Mod, or the Scattergun Turret Mod. And the early game weapon is very useful there.

Of course, in real life, these weapons are much more useful for other purposes.
I've already seen your mod's weapon systems. Very useful for stopping the aliens.
But the Mod Scattergun Turrets or Modular Turrets also do their job well.

Since I always start a new game, I never really get that far with my research. So I couldn't test the difference between 'Mechs and tanks.
I usually don't have the time to play Factorio when I'm involved in fixed projects. And as a lets player on youtube you play a lot of different games
And at some point your game is old. And then I'll start over. ^^
But I think I know what you mean
I will probably bet more on tanks. They look more stable and solid.
Spidertrons are great units too. And practical that they can climb over walls and buildings.
No idea ... I have to see which units I like better.
But as a mobile turret, I will continue to rely on Spidertrons. : D

I remember the developers at Factorio once mentioned problems with power management. Especially when it comes to switching the lamps on and off at dusk and dawn.
I have no idea about programming. But techniques that look so simple ... But they use too much UPS. It is unfortunate if this causes problems in the game. : /

Good idea to use colors to make the differences easier to see.
It looks less beautiful if there are several tier levels of - for example - solar panels. And instead of giving them their own graphic, color them in red, green, blue or purple ...
Although I can imagine that creating a graphic is far too complicated.

Sorry if I haven't replied to all of your words. As I said ... English is exhausting for me ...: /
And the Google translator often makes nonsense that I have to rewrite the sentences.

I will also go into your other contributions in due course.

New response