Schall Machine Scaling

Adds scaled up versions in different sizes for various machines. Number of overtiers can be freely adjusted. Designed for megabases and gigabases, by reducing total number of entities (thus reduced save file size, improved UPS). Includes assembling machine 3, chemical plant, electric furnace, oil refinery, centrifuge, lab, boiler, steam engine, steam turbine, heat exchanger, nuclear reactor, storage tank. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Português Brasileiro, Русский)

Content
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Manufacturing Power Storage

i [Solved] Suggestions, Ideas and for me missing Things

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Greetings,

its me again the guy who suggest things :-)

After looking for an option to reduce a hugh amount of mods i come along your Mods again and tried this but for me a few things are missing.

The tiers you have added should be one row and one column smaller. For example the electric furnance 1+1 is 8x8 it should be 7x7 and so on. This one row and one column is in my opinion the outer (0,5) and inner (0,5) walls of the 4 furnances which is now no longer needed and should be also seen in the size of the building.

Missings tiers or structures;

higher Beacon tiers:
- basic: should be 2x2 instead of 3x3 and transfer 50% of the moduls in the surrounding area which it should effect a 9x9 area; 2 modul slots; 480 kW energy consumption (everything expect size is normal)
- medium: 3x3; 100% effect transfer; 14x14 effected area; 4 modul slots; 1 MW energy consumption
- large: 4x4; 125% effect transfer; 20x20 effected area; 6 modul slots; 2,5 MW energy consumption

Maybe adding a pole that can transfer the beacons effect like the robotport or the electric pole does it and also a few more moduls?

higher tiers of:
- Pumps for fluids, gas and water (offshore)
- belt, underground belt, splitter and loader tiers (tier 4 and tier 5) and a higher stack inserter which can transport enough resources into your mega constructions.
- Electric mining drills (increased speed, area and so on)
- Pumpjacks
- Accumulators
- Solar panels

Could you also think about adding not only on two side of the tanks the option to connect them but on all 4 sides?
It would also be nice if you could add one modul slot to the +1 and each two tiers above +1 one more.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

It's a long suggestion post. I will try to reply one-by-one.

The tiers you have added should be one row and one column smaller. For example the electric furnance 1+1 is 8x8 it should be 7x7 and so on. This one row and one column is in my opinion the outer (0,5) and inner (0,5) walls of the 4 furnances which is now no longer needed and should be also seen in the size of the building.

The sizes are chosen not by random or aesthetic. If you look into code, you will see all the spritesheets, shadows, pixel sizes and offsets have to be scaled. Using various numbers or formula will complicate things. So I am sticking to the current settings: natural numbers for scaling (2, 3, 4, ...) to simplify all these.

Missings tiers or structures;

higher Beacon tiers:
- basic: should be 2x2 instead of 3x3 and transfer 50% of the moduls in the surrounding area which it should effect a 9x9 area; 2 modul slots; 480 kW energy consumption (everything expect size is normal)
- medium: 3x3; 100% effect transfer; 14x14 effected area; 4 modul slots; 1 MW energy consumption
- large: 4x4; 125% effect transfer; 20x20 effected area; 6 modul slots; 2,5 MW energy consumption

Since beacons cannot use productivity modules, the real purpose of beacons is to apply the energy/pollution saving or speed boost, right? But the machine overtiers are already trying to meet the 1 crafting/tick hard limit, so there is not much point to apply further speed boost to them. Since the machine overtiers have large size, there is quite enough room for vanilla beacons to fill efficiency module to get the minimum energy consumption. So again I don't see any point to introduce advanced beacons.

Maybe adding a pole that can transfer the beacons effect like the robotport or the electric pole does it and also a few more moduls?

Not that I know of any game API that can transfer the beacon effects.

higher tiers of:
- Pumps for fluids, gas and water (offshore)

This is somehow already implemented by mods like "High-Pressure Pipes". I also played with a mod that introduced those pipe MK2, pipe MK3, etc. Honestly, I don't really like this much. A single big pump drawing all the water from a small lake for GW nuclear reactor sounds too cheaty to me.

belt, underground belt, splitter and loader tiers (tier 4 and tier 5) and a higher stack inserter which can transport enough resources into your mega constructions.

There is some limit in belt speed (around 160 item/s in 0.16.51, not expected to be much higher in 0.17) or things start to glitch and stop working. My Schall Belt Configuration has already allowed the raise of belt speed. If you prefer new item tiers instead, mods like "Ultimate Belts" have already implemented that.
I am not a fan of a higher stack inserter, since loaders already work at the full belt speed. There are already a lot of fast stack inserters mod or inserter stack size upgrades mod available, if you prefer inserters. Seen some post saying Bob's stack inserters can work way much faster than loaders (but I have not played to confirm this), because there are infinite upgrades for them.

Electric mining drills (increased speed, area and so on)

Actually, it was the third machine (after assembling machine 3, electric furnace) to be considered adding when creating this mod. But then I realized these mining drills are not "permanent" machines, because ore patches are limited. They will stop mining and need to be removed quite soon. So seems not a useful machine to go overtier.

Pumpjacks

A pumpjack corresponds to an oil patch. Simply deploying a pumpjack +3 to pump out 64× crude oil from the same oil patch seems like a really bad cheat for me. Moreover, vanilla oil patches are generated that the spacing are optimal for 3x3 pumpjacks. So I cannot apply the "balancing" enlargement in size as for other machines.

Accumulators
Solar panels

Including darkfrei's "Tiers 32", there are already like 10 mods for them!!! Furthermore, solar panels are very UPS-friendly, so there is no need for such overtiers in my opinion.

Could you also think about adding not only on two side of the tanks the option to connect them but on all 4 sides?

I am not a 3D graphics artist. I don't know 3D modeling to make the spritesheets to show the new connection points properly.

It would also be nice if you could add one modul slot to the +1 and each two tiers above +1 one more.

The prime motivation of this mod is to provide "scaled up" versions of machines, without any advantages. (Although not entirely avoidable, since the larger size is already a big advantage. You can apply much more beacons and thus more beacon effects on a single machine.) For example, a lab +3 to replace my original 64× vanilla lab array, but still have to craft with the same amount of ingredients and 64 labs worth of modules which would be needed to fill them. Adding additional slot means extra productivity bonus that actually save ingredients (I consider this as a big cheat...), which is against the spirit of this mod. So sorry, I will not implement that.

If you want the extra module slots in these machines, there are two ways you can do:
1. You may write your own small mod to directly modify the number of module slots of the machines. (Put the code under data-updates.lua. I can provide some guides if you need.) There can be mods to vanilla game, so are mods to another mod. You can do this kind of minor adjustment to what your like, with your own small mod.
2. Bob's Assembling machines and a few mods made by others have implemented these additional slots. There are also god modules to boost productivity bonus beyond "sane" values.

5 years ago

Ty for your answer. I mostly use your Mods because i like the idea behind it.

Programming:
Yeah, as far as I see I need to learn how to make a Mod. I have a few ideas that i dont see anywhere and if it is doable with the actual code of Factorio. But I have no idea where to start and how i can programm anything :-)
First i need to understand how the code works and then i can start.

Beacon:
Yes, you can only put speed or energy moduls into it. To compensate the productive modul inside the machine^^.
Still i like my idea :-)

Electric mining drills:
Too bad would have loved your scaled version. Through the fact that you can put everything back into your pocket or the logistic robot system, save structures via blueprints and so on i dont find your argument against it logical. Labors for example are also only needed until you reach endgame. Then you have everything and you can remove them including your production of science packs so its also only limited.

Jumpjacks:
Ok, yes but it could also be a drawback. You want to gather faster oil from one spot so you block other oil spots.

Accumulators and Solar panels:
You are right. I am using Bio Industries for this purpose which adds a few things on that line. Would have been for me a rounder Mod.

Ore gathering and Production:
I am using at the moment for ore gathering and production Bobs Mining, Omega Drill, Quarry and Bobs Assembling Machines for more tiers of those machines but still 4 Mods that do this trick^^. And as far as i know each additional Mod increased the bug chance and the workload.

Tiers 32 is a nice idea but I havent tested it until now but as i see it isnt working with Solar Walls from DellAquila and as far as i see it adds only a few recipes for fuel and nothing more, so it gets removed again. I dont need a 3PJ energy coke-pellet (Bio Industries + Tiers 32) or an even higher rocket fuel or Uranium fuel cell. Which seems more like cheating then anything else.

I want a Mod that reduces the amount of structures because which each higher tier it should produce more and more effective. Too bad we dont have which each higher mark more production lines inside the machines with improved machines so that you produce not only faster but also with more lines faster. The idea behind technology is that the human reduces its work to a minimum to the point that we dont need to work anymore because all work is done by machines and the real work can be done improving ourselves, our society and putting our energy into art, philosophy, humans and so on.

Moduls:
I dont like the idea of god modules, have tested for example Bob's Moduls. I like the idea for a more complexe crafting and an earlier avialability but the missing drawbacks are not to my liking. When you increase the speed you need more energy. When you remove this actio-reactio relationship it makes it kinda unfair and unbalanced goes also for the god modules.

Generell:
I hope that the Wube increase the Marks/Tiers to 5 for Logistic and higher production Machines and to 10 for basic ones and in generel.
And that they implement missing things in the later process.

New response