ThunderStorm: Lightning energy

by AivanF

Thunderstorm is coming! Build lightning rods to protect yourself or to tame this mighty element of nature by capturing divine amount of electricity or attacking biter beasts. Supports SE planets. WIP, even more fun will be added!

Content
7 months ago
Combat Environment Power

g Priority of the towers

8 months ago

Hi, I'm loving this mod so far! In the beginning I had my doubts because everything was being struck down by them, even the rods themselves!
But with safe catching research and the mk2, now it's much safer.

I wanted to mention that my base runs in several lightning handlers. However, I want to have a backup plan in case the lightnings don't strike them and they run out of energy (and my walls are almost only laser, so...) . That plan is nuclear, only to activate when the energy can't be serviced by the handlers. I just tried, and the nuclear takes priority over the handlers as energy provider. Is there any way to make the priority of the handlers first, as if they were solar, or just below it?

Thanks for everything, and great job with this mod!

8 months ago

Hi! Thanks for your glorious words! Such feedback and downloads number are my salary here ^_^

Yeah, the balance is a complicated thing, it's hard to make a challenging yet solvable feature. I hope, it's fine for now, but I'm open for critics and fix requests.

Seems like you simply need a power switch with a latch – I use them for all my power plants, both nuclear and burner, to precisely specify their priorities. I just added a picture explaining this, you can find it in the Advices section. Also, you can find some interesting stuff in the official circuits cookbook.

8 months ago

I don't know how the game works, but if you could convert the handlers into "generators" with the thunders being fuel, then the problem could be solved. They'd provide for the net as priority generators, and the extra would go for accumulators if you had. If there's no space, then the energy stays inside the handler.

In the mod "Realistic Fusion Power" they have something similar, some recipes have an energy product that goes into the net.

Thanks for your answer! It worked fine. I usally have latchs with a blueprint to alternate solar and boilers, but I don't really understand how it works hehe. The thing is that my conditions on nuclear are with the steam stored. If you just cut the energy, then it works better.

8 months ago

Well, this is technically possible, and I had similar thoughts: use special batteries as input and outcome lightning-charged batteries that used as a fuel by the same building βš‘οΈπŸ”‹

But I'm afraid, this will break the simplistic idea of the mod: you have a huge accumulator with a rod that captures and stores electricity. You place it and forget about it. Instead, with batteries or any other energy-item, you will be able to collect and even transfer it, which doesn't seem quite realistic...

Anyway, I added this to the ToDo-list. At the moment, I'm focused on a couple of other mods (Titans and new special one), after finishing 1st stable version of them I plan to come back to the Lightnings, and maybe I'll try experiment with this idea.

New response