Freight Forwarding

A small overhaul with a focus on long-distance logistics variety. Transport containerized items across land and sea using trains and ships! First, venture to the edge of your starting island using trains to find lead, then set sail for offshore oil using tanker ships, dredge metallic nodules from the seabed, and recover titanium from other islands. Finally you'll be transporting materials to faraway lava pools to smelt titansteel, an essential ingredient in rocket parts.

Overhaul
a month ago
Logistics Trains Environment

i [Suggestion] Allow empty containers to be transported by bots

5 months ago
(updated 5 months ago)

The empty containers are, well, empty and thus should not weight too much to not be picked up by the bots (definetely should be lighter than machines they can build).

Otherwise, broken container replacement logistic can be annoyingly difficult -- it does not provide a logistical challenge, but only makes you angry.
Two solutions I have found -- deliver steel plates and make containers on-site which occupies a lot of space, or use spidertron patrols which should be set manually each time you add a new station.

5 months ago
(updated 5 months ago)

I used a spidertron patrol for my main base (just one spidertron was enough), and everywhere else I just delivered the empty containers themselves. It's finicky though, since there is potential for clogging or starving your stations if you don't carefully control how many empty containers get loaded/unloaded. Or I guess you could just leave permanent space on your trains/ships for the empty containers and only unload them if the location needs some.

5 months ago

I mean we handled it pretty easily on our main island. We basically have a train station that has the main container storage where we also have the crafters for container refilling. Then on the 3 different ports we have on the main island we just import or export containers depending if that port is low or high on containers. In terms of allowing bots to carry containers that just removes the whole logistical challenge of the containers.

5 months ago
(updated 5 months ago)

I mean we handled it pretty easily on our main island. We basically have a train station that has the main container storage where we also have the crafters for container refilling. Then on the 3 different ports we have on the main island we just import or export containers depending if that port is low or high on containers.

Hmm, didn't think about the extra train stop even though it's how I usually mine Uranium...

4 months ago
(updated 4 months ago)

I usually use one supply stop per each big station which delivers Containers, Rocket Fuel (for ship ports) and uncharged batteries, all in one train.
What opened my eyes to this challenge with containers is that you have to consider two types of train stops (not the big stations, stops - 1 per train on bigger station):
1. where you pack resources in containers - here you need to make sure the train itself comes with exactly 5 containers per wagon (I put them in 1st wagon on their return trip from unload stop, 20 for my 1x4 trains). You don't need to replenish them, they do not get destroyed in packing process so you put some more 'buffer' containers in the loop and leave it. Just don't try to mix containers from different packing loops together, it sure is possible with logic and/or balancers but I prefer to keep it simple.
2. where you unpack resources for smelting etc - here you will lose containers. And on this stop in addition to unloading resources I also need to put 20 (5 * wagon) containers into trains to let their 'packing' stop loop keep going. So here I make a supply stop and put a chest near 1st wagon of each inbound train which gets replenished to 20 empty containers from supply, and with no limit from containers returned from unpacking. So you eventually get some buffer, but it should not clog since containers coming back from unpacking would be loaded in train first, additional containers would only be added when the empty container buffer is lower than 20.
Well, It's just the idea I came with after I returned to this mod some time ago. Like, simple rules you just need to follow on all your train stop pairs and don't overcomplicate it with logic.
To illustrate, this is what my cobalt processing station looks like (cobalt ore is not here). Sorry for miniloaders, they mostly can be replaced with stack inserters
https://imgur.com/a/nZcZ63E
At the bottom is the supply stop (no rocket fuel needed here), which replenishes only containers in explosives loop, in others loops I just threw 100+ containers for buffer and left it as is. The stop at the top is for finished packed cobalt bars.
All the packing/unpacking happens outside the station, except for explosives since I don't need a lot of them and would like to keep the loop short.

About drones - I thought, maybe allow only long-range aerial drones carry them? So there would be a way to do it but with some additional resource cost per each delivery

4 months ago

I think it bots could carry empty containers then it would be too easy :)
You've got automated spidertrons or aircraft as an option. Allowing the long range drones to carry them wouldn't be too bad, but I think that would allow for an exploit for regular bots to carry them so I don't think it is doable either.

4 months ago

I think it bots could carry empty containers then it would be too easy :)
You've got automated spidertrons or aircraft as an option. Allowing the long range drones to carry them wouldn't be too bad, but I think that would allow for an exploit for regular bots to carry them so I don't think it is doable either.

I get your point, but, as I told before, spidertron automation isn't actually an automation since you can't have named stations & station enabled conditions like trains do.

4 months ago

Can this be a mod option disabled by default?

2 months ago

I would also appreciate having this as an option. I don't see how it's overpowered? It just makes it a little nicer for short-range operations.

If you're worried about people abusing this for long-range things you could add the mod Robot Attrition ( https://mods.factorio.com/mod/robot_attrition ) which... honestly gels with this pack so well I didn't realize it wasn't already included? (Making a separate post about that, cause, yeah.)

However... I truly don't see the issue. Bots can't cross seas (long range drones excepted, but you indicated being okay with them shipping empties?), and there's a significant period of time before they're unlocked (during which you presumably have already created a robust container-shipping system); the only thing I really see this getting used for is coordinating containers within a port or set of train stops. Lacking that ability isn't a challenge, it's just annoying and takes up space with conveyor belts.

Please explain if you see differently.

2 months ago

you can active provide containers
you can passive provide + personal logistics request containers
you can circuit set requester chests to request containers

2 months ago

you can active provide containers
you can passive provide + personal logistics request containers
you can circuit set requester chests to request containers

Yeah, I know.
But all of these are hacky solutions which I use from time to time.
However, what I'm asking is a solution "from-the-box".
In other words, I want to make transporting empty containers not only possible but legitimate.

a month ago

I would like to second this request.

Keeping bots from carrying loaded containers makes sense -- it's too much of a buff to "bots do everything" sort of strategies. However, moving empty containers is fine in terms of realism -- certainly no more of a problem than bots carrying train cars or nuclear reactors -- and doesn't constitute a huge buff to bots. And moving empty containers back from every place where you decontainerize things is exactly the sort of annoying fiddly problem bots are made for.

New response