Food Industry (2.0 beta)

by Oceanel

[Warning (!): Mod is still under development, and is not intended for a long game] This mod adds hunger and ways to produce foods and drinks. From grown foods can be obtained effect capsules.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Fluids Manufacturing

g Is it possible to automate early game?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Scratch the automation question, I eventually figured it out.

Balancing is absolutely brutal early game. The time it takes to grow things is crazy long. Went into a sandbox, set up three of the incubaters with water, turned speed up to 128x and lettuce (I'm sure it only reached closer to 32x or something) and after about 15 minutes I had only about 10 surplus lettuce after about 10 - 15 minutes of that. I get that it gets better once you get fertilizer, but that's so far down the tech tree that without foraging and subsisting on non-automated food sources, you won't get far in regards to your nutrition. Also, the composter has two fuel slots and the recipe and fuel slot shares the same ingredients, so it just stacks up the fiber and straw in the fuel slot and nothing goes in the recipe slot unless you babysit it. Recipes for compost probably need a nerf (buff to output, less input needed.)

Default eating settings are also brutal. With having to do so much manually, you should make auto eating come early, scale back default settings, or make automation much easier. Toss out burner pickers. Having to reroute coal to your farms just for those is goofy when you'll be well into steam power and electricity by then.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Balancing is absolutely brutal early game.

Yes, i agree, but the first is the core of the mod, then the balance and content.
If you have any suggestions for optimizing the early game, I will listen to them.

Now:

entity name crafting_speed
"fi-basic-farmland" 0.6
"fi-greenhouse" 1.0
"fi-big-greenhouse" 2.5
"fi-incubator" 4.0

table of energy_required:

name time, sec
"lettuce" 300
"cucumber" 600
"tomato" 800
"potato" 1200
"corn" 1200
"soy" 2400
"rapeseed" 900

recipe speed

recipe energy_required
"basic-crop-growth" time (only for "fi-basic-farmland")
"advanced-crop-growth-with-water" time
"advanced-crop-growth-with-compost" time * 0.9
"advanced-crop-growth-with-fertilizer-water" time * 0.625
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Well, maybe I'm looking into this the wrong way. Do you have any examples of your farms/automation processes, especially in regard to handling early farms and compost and how assemblers handle all these biproducts? Maybe that is where I am caught up. Compost seems to be the difficult one due to the huge stack sizes in the fuel slots that need to be filled before it will fill in the top slot.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Maybe that is where I am caught up.

Read this https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FoodIndustry/discussion/5c3075e1d366f0000b7090ba, maybe it will help you.

At an early stage of the game you need to do everything manually, use compost only for scientific packages, and learn Advanced Cultivation as quickly as possible, build Greenhouses and bring water to them. And you will have plenty of food to focus on basic automation.
Don't get stuck on this "compost"! It has not yet been fully worked out.

Some my early game screens https://imgur.com/a/oHDpoPv

3 years ago

Got it. Thanks for that info. It helps understand it a bit more.

New response