Spacefarer

by Lex_sk

A space-flight adventure built on Space Age: your ship is your only base, and planets are the milestones of progression, the source of contracts and trade. Start a new game with the "Space Start" scenario. Приключение о космических перелётах на базе Space Age: корабль — единственная база, планеты — вехи прогрессии, источник заданий и торговли. Начните новую игру со сценария «Космический старт».

Scenarios
9 days ago
2.0
211
Logistics Mining Manufacturing Storage

i asteroid types

a month ago
(updated a month ago)

each planet could specifically have their own asteroid type, instead of just aquilo, and also replacing the stone/uranoum/copper.

fulgora, scrapteroids is obvious.

gleba has spores. spoils into wriggle. 1% egg, 10% either fruit, and like 1 wood and 5 spoilage, or w.e.

vulcanus, semi-molten chunks. can be squeezed to yield magma, but also tungsten, coal, calcite.
calcite and coal being optional, admittedly.

and nauvis. maybe a bit of oil as well as uranium, but really, the metallic asteroid already largely does what a nauvis based asteroid should. that and stone.
really though, I could see most asteroids yielding stone by default.

obviously each with their own processing varients. vulcanus chunks is just tungsten, but adv processing yields the extra stuff. a good way to get copper.

gleba is still spoilage all the way down. Ideally this is also a higher general yield of fruit than greenhouses can easily manage.

fulgora, well, same scrap as always, but probably lower yield.

aquila, you already did this looks like.

also, the chunks ideally only showing when at least halfway to a planet.

a month ago

I'll think it through properly. Part of it exists already — tungsten near Vulcanus, holmium near Fulgora, lithium and ice near Aquilo, plus stone and uranium types — and density ramps along a route, so foreign rock is thickest near its planet. Missing: a Gleba spore chunk, a Fulgora scrap chunk, side products, and your two-tier processing. That last one I like best — plain crushing for the main ore, advanced crushing for the extras. It extends the mod instead of replacing it.

I'm also turning over a different option, and I'd like your read on it. One asteroid type only, crushed like scrap. If a technology isn't researched, that roll simply yields nothing — so researching a planet enriches the same rock you've been crushing all along.

Product        Chance  Amount  Gated behind
-------------  ------  ------  --------------------
Iron ore         29%     20    —
Carbon           21%     10    —
Copper ore       18%     14    —
Ice              15%      5    —
Stone             9%     20    —
Tungsten ore      2%     15    Vulcanus discovery
Holmium ore       2%     15    Fulgora discovery
Uranium ore       2%      5    Uranium processing
Lithium           1%      5    Aquilo discovery
Aquilo ice        1%     10    Aquilo discovery
-------------  ------  ------  --------------------
Chunk back       20%      1    separate roll, as in vanilla

Amounts are today's per-chunk yields, so nothing is buffed or nerfed. The 20% return works as in vanilla, so a caught chunk averages 1.25 crushes.

Still weighing — curious what you make of it.

a month ago

not sure.on that. one major thing about using a platform is that you are encouraged to always go to different locations with different weights of resources. if you want tungsten you must fly to or from vulcanus. a, presumably universal asteroid is questionable.

Also, a tech changing existing recipes feels wrong to me. tbf, this is one of the aspects of quality that also annoys me.

a month ago

thinking a bit further on it.
no copper stroids. vulcanus asteroid lava let's you produce iron or copper full freedom.
gleba growth let's you prioritize copper.
scrapteroids yield tons of electronics.
wr have no need for dedicated copper then.

a month ago
(updated a month ago)

The dedicated recipe is needed mainly for the early game. Early on, the metallic chunk is the only thing the ship mines for itself: both iron and copper come from that one source, and buying plates on Nauvis costs scrips, which you don't have yet. Advanced crushing is unlocked early in this mod — in vanilla it's gated behind three sciences, I moved the unlock to the platform itself — but it yields only 4 copper alongside 10 iron, and there's no way to balance production to your needs: copper just trickles in. That's the gap the recipe closes.
That it becomes optional by the late game seems fine to me: the other crushing recipes age the same way once biology displaces mining.

a month ago

well, I would think that, as I have yet to see a single copper asteroid between nauvis, vulcanus, or fulgora, I would theoretically have both scrap and lava, both of which would produce copper, before actually seeing said copper asteroid.

there is also that balance suggestion for gleba growing, but that is separate, but it would make biology not as much a universal replacement.

a month ago
(updated a month ago)

I think there's a misunderstanding here, and it's my fault — I should have been clearer. There is no copper asteroid in the mod and never has been. The custom types are tungsten, holmium, lithium, stone, uranium and Aquilo ice; hunting for a copper chunk is futile because it doesn't exist.

Copper is simply a second recipe for the ordinary metallic chunk — the same one you're already collecting. The crusher processes it into either iron or copper: one raw material, your choice. Nothing to go looking for, and the recipe unlocks along with the platform itself.

Hence my point about the early game: in early game the metallic chunk — and the only question is what you crush it into. Without this recipe, copper only comes as the side product of advanced crushing, four to every ten iron, and there's no way to tune that ratio to your build.

a month ago

huh. I could have sworn I saw a copper asteroid in the Factoriopedia. I don't think any other mod would have added that.

well now I feel silly.

a month ago
(updated a month ago)

I'm also turning over a different option, and I'd like your read on it. One asteroid type only, crushed like scrap. If a technology isn't researched, that roll simply yields nothing — so researching a planet enriches the same rock you've been crushing all along.

Product Chance Amount Gated behind


Iron ore 29% 20 —
Carbon 21% 10 —
Copper ore 18% 14 —
Ice 15% 5 —
Stone 9% 20 —
Tungsten ore 2% 15 Vulcanus discovery
Holmium ore 2% 15 Fulgora discovery
Uranium ore 2% 5 Uranium processing
Lithium 1% 5 Aquilo discovery
Aquilo ice 1% 10 Aquilo discovery


Chunk back 20% 1 separate roll, as in vanilla

Done in release 0.9.121 as a separate mod setting, right next to the difficulty option.

New response