Cheese's Concentrated Solar

Adds concentrated solar energy based around heliostat mirrors, which can point at solar power towers to generate heat for heliothermal energy production, or solar lens towers to generate giant lasers.

Content
5 months ago
Combat Power

g a quick question about heat output in space exploration

a month ago

Hey so I'll keep in breath but I have in several of my solar towers been able to generate more heat then the 60MW output due to solar intensity but only seem to be able to extract those 60 wasting a waste majority. Is there a way to increase the output per tower without increasing the generation per mirror in the settings or do I simply need to build more towers with less mirrors around each?

Also thanks for the amazing and cool mod I love it :)

a month ago

Thanks! Currently, there is a hard cap of 60MW per tower, yes.
Lore wise you could consider the heat pipes are too thin or something.
Modding wise we cannot scale "reactor" outputs by solar energy multiplier per planet, it's fixed across the game, so I thought raising that may be confusing.

For the next patch (coming soon tm) I will look at adding a mod option to raise that across the board, or hidden different tower versions with different limits.

a month ago

Alright thanks I'll just make tower assemblers to increase my output then meanwhile thanks for the quick reply :)

a month ago

Are you able to scale the mirrors? Same number of towers but less mirrors to do the work creates some interesting design space.

29 days ago
(updated 29 days ago)

Are you able to scale the mirrors? Same number of towers but less mirrors to do the work creates some interesting design space.

It already works like this for SE's surface solar multipliers: In an asteroid belt with 172% Solar Output, it only takes 318 Mirrors to max out a tower

Quick math, for reference' sake:
Standard solar (3x3): 11.1 kw/tile (100/9)
K2 Purple Solar (4x4): 15.625 kw/tile (250/16)
SE Blue Flat (4x4): 25kw/tile (400/16)
SE Red Flat (4x4: 50kw/tile (800/16)
Cheese, Standard:
Tower 5x5
Mirror 3x3
Perfect Ratio: 546 Mirrors
Perfect Packing: 548 Mirrors
Max Output: 60MW
110 kW per mirror, but has land area penalty for Tower, Heatex, turbines, heatpipes.
Cheese, K2:
114 MW, putting it slightly below SE Blue Flat Solars at 23kW/tile, with the added land cost of Support Structures and the cost of water to feed it

But it's more fun than just spamming flat solar panels.

New response