Cheese's Concentrated Solar

Adds concentrated solar energy based around heliostat mirrors, which can point at solar power towers to generate heat for heliothermal energy production, or solar lens towers to generate giant lasers.

Content
5 months ago
Combat Power

i [0.3.3] Range of beam tower / production steps

7 months ago
(updated 7 months ago)

Hello,
i came around to buiding a solar-tower setup (currently playing BA & some additons) ...
I like it very much.
Noticeable things (not really an bug) .the direction of the beam tower is not really noticeable (so probably do the lense upright and somelike at the direction of the powering

Some suggestions(generally):
you could use glas and ceramic(silicon nitrid) and probably some of the bearings/electrical engines (steel would be handy, as the tower requires steel, it would be fitting in terms of research)
I could also see a little more production steps, especially if one could be thinking about tiered solar towers (split the productions into Tower / Heatcollector / lense & mirrorframe/ mirror)

The Solar-Beam i found relatively lacking for a 60MW laser(but i don't know whats in reality., for the 75 range i would more see like 2-5 MW.
I also think its a little complicated setup for even near range border protection, especially it takes long to setup with all this mirrors
so here i would say make the range 4 fold and and for balancing i would say the near range should be far higher (near ~ 25, max ~ 200)
If you make the beam tower to funnel a beam (probably with less power each tower farther out) that would be cool, or some sort of mirror tower for the beam
Thinking about.... how do the mirrors select the tower in case i have a 'border'cleaning beam and want to use in the meantime the power, when the beam is not needed (probably give the towers a priority setting with some circuit contraptions) and some like then slow moving mirror to the requestor ?

For niceiteies it would be cool it the mirrors could follow the sun over the day ( so like a little wiggling in course of the day, but don't know about the impact on performance)

Thanks for this nice mod

6 months ago

Thanks for the feedback!
- Mirror towers to funnel beams already on the todo list, but quite complicated
- Direction of the mirror towers is mostly irrelevant, so graphics don't show this on purpose - they should look and feel like laser turrets, which rotations don't matter, but because of modding limitations they are 'flamethrower' entities they can be rotated.
- Rotating mirrors throughout day I have already tested and found to to be not quite worth the performance for me + so many extra textures to render, and looked a little strange compared to normal solar panels which also don't rotate.
- Mirrors always just point towards the closest tower, and with how the turrets towers are setup it would be quite difficult to redirect them, and also border on making the mirrors having to be powered to make any sense.
- Balancing and ingredients feedback is good, I think I will sharply reduce the number of mirrors required and increase the range as you have said - 0.4 is going to hopefully include this.

6 months ago
(updated 6 months ago)

as for the beam funneling, you may look to the repair-tower-mod which seems to using a directed beam-gfx to apply the repair packs (you probably know this mod, but i would think the same could be apply to your mod, as it applys (attak? with a repair pack :-) an entity from far.

If the direction is irrelevant, probably remove/ change the attack range gfx, so thats not confusing, at least it was vey confunsing for me.

Also there should be some more in depth explanation / numbers when the beam tower will work, at least at the mod page if not in game

To be true i find the numbers of mirrors somelike low :-) i would sure happy to go with a larger field, especially as if the beam tower on a boarder could ppprobably use only half a field. there i would reduce the number of ingredients from 5 each (in my BA-run at the moment) to probably only 2 each to balance the larger field ?
As i read this will take quite a load on performance due the beam gfx, i think some option to reduce, or just make some random low numbers on beams from mirror to tower, changes so ever tick will be sufficient

At least : there is always to make everthing an option :-) as an easy way out of balancing issues

Did not expected to havea need for additional gfx for the day-wiggeling, just thought of using the 'neighboring' gfx for this

New response