Autodrive

by Pi-C

Car equipment for train avoidance, logistic network integration, circuit network connectivity, fuel refill, ammo reload, vehicle repair, radio control, enemy targeting, and gate control.

Content
10 days ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

g You are great!

1 year, 9 months ago

My favorite helicopter mode (HelicopterRevival) is auto in aai mode. was not working. I hate aiming while flying (even harder than on ground vehicles...). The mod also works in helicopter mode. Thank you very much, this is definitely one of my favorite mods out of my 300 mods. Great job!

1 year, 9 months ago

I don't like to keep the top left icons (GUI). I couldn't find a setting to turn it off...Could you add it?

1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for the compliments! Also, it's good to know that HelicopterRevival actually works with Autodrive. I've recently reached out to its author with some some suggestions to make HelicopterRevival compatibe with GCKI, but didn't get any response yet. So it's great HR exchanging its entities doesn't cause problems for Autodrive. :-)

About the icons: Do you mean the toggle button that opens/closes the Autodrive GUI? I'm not sure what to do about it: If it wasn't there, how would you open the GUI? IIRC, we already use the remote as a selection tool to add vehicles to the GUI, but the GUI should always display all vehicles controlled by a player with Autodrive, so that could be more than the current selection.

A compromise would be to only show the toggle button if the player has access to a remote control (i.e. its tech must have been researched). I'm not quite sure, it may well be that this is already implemented. (Can't check right now, I'd have to restart the game to add Autodrive but I'm currently debugging another mod so I'd rather wait until that's done.)

1 year, 9 months ago

The GUI_Unifyer mod has a built-in shutdown feature, it can select and remove the icons of some mods from the "player specific" settings. I prefer to use simple "control". (I prefer to select it from the bottom right when necessary. (Shortcuts for 1.1 mod also has fine-tuning for such mods.)

For example: "Upgrade Builder and Planner" and "Module Inserter"
by Choumiko'' or ''Train Log
There are various modes such as "by zomis" and the feature I mentioned. They can be turned on or off by flicking a key or from the settings (checkbox). Despite everything, the mod is really valuable to me. Thank you again.

1 year, 9 months ago

The GUI_Unifyer mod has a built-in shutdown feature, it can select and remove the icons of some mods from the "player specific" settings. I prefer to use simple "control". (I prefer to select it from the bottom right when necessary. (Shortcuts for 1.1 mod also has fine-tuning for such mods.)

by Choumiko'' or ''Train Log by zomis"
There are various modes such as and the feature I mentioned. They can be turned on or off by flicking a key or from the settings (checkbox). Despite everything, the mod is really valuable to me. Thank you again.

1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not sure about the shortcut. I'm currently working on GCKI, where I've changed the keys from an item to a selection tool that's activated by a shortcut. For consistency, I planned to do the same with Autodrive's remote control (which already is a selection tool that can be used to select an area or click on a position). I wouldn't want to create two shortcuts because only a limited number is conveniently available. Custom inputs (hotkeys) suffer from the same problem: If you have 300 mods, it may be hard to find a key binding that doesn't clash with any existing one.

Would a command like "/toggle-autodrive-gui" be useful? You'd have to type that on the console each time you'd want to open the GUI.

by Choumiko'' or ''Train Log by zomis"
There are various modes such as "by zomis" and the feature I mentioned. They can be turned on or off by flicking a key or from the settings (checkbox). Despite everything, the mod is really valuable to me. Thank you again.

I'll have a look at those mods.

1 year, 9 months ago

If he isn't using the menu often then a shortcut is better. And another way is to hide the top corner button when the selection tool isn't in hand. It could be a setting so those that want it always can have it too. And shortcut buttons can be used without being shown all the time. Just click them directly after clicking the "..." button.
I would also like to not have the button there all the time.

1 year, 9 months ago

If he isn't using the menu often then a shortcut is better. And another way is to hide the top corner button when the selection tool isn't in hand.

The GUI is independent of the immediate selection: It will show all vehicles that you (or somebody from your force?) is in control of, IIRC even vehicles on another surface. So you may want to see the GUI even if you don't have the selection tool in your hand. The sequence "Grab tool to show toggle button --> click toggle button--> put away tool to do something else --> grab tool again to close the GUI" would seem awkward. (It would be less so if the GUI had a close button, but it doesn't yet and won't for a while. I refuse to do any serious work on this mod feature-wise as long as I haven't cleaned up the code -- it's simply no fun to edit a file with about 3000 lines of code, it's far easier if everything is modular.)

And shortcut buttons can be used without being shown all the time. Just click them directly after clicking the "..." button.

How many shortcuts fit there? Could it be more than would fit on the screen? Would there be a scrollbar if that happens? I'd better play it safe right from the beginning. For my character selector, I had to redesign the GUI that was working well with the 5 or 6 alternative characters available when plexpt made one mod that introduced about 20 new characters at once. I'd rather spare myself the superfluous work this time. :-)

1 year, 9 months ago

Regardless, I will definitely continue to use this mod. But I'll add a few FAs, thinking it might give you an idea as well. You can review. Maybe I couldn't explain exactly what I was talking about above due to bad English. This is definitely not an order, (the mod is functional enough for me; congratulations) I'm sharing it in case it might give you an idea.

https://www.hizliresim.com/m5k8j9p
https://www.hizliresim.com/rkdqimo
https://www.hizliresim.com/mjpjtzm
https://www.hizliresim.com/8colu64
https://www.hizliresim.com/szuhvab
https://www.hizliresim.com/2wku99z
https://www.hizliresim.com/1p85741
https://www.hizliresim.com/cj3emj2
https://www.hizliresim.com/clw1qdp
https://www.hizliresim.com/fcqnrgd
https://www.hizliresim.com/j8l8oml
https://www.hizliresim.com/aj0jb0f
https://www.hizliresim.com/kgum08m
https://www.hizliresim.com/1mo7kw5

1 year, 9 months ago

*''FA''
= SS : screenshot (I'm using Translate...xd)

1 year, 9 months ago

So you may want to see the GUI even if you don't have the selection tool in your hand.

No, I don't. Not ME. Maybe someone else. For my use case, the list doesn't need to be that accessible.

But that is why I suggested making it an mod setting. Instead of "Show top button: Yes/No", make it "Show top button: Yes/No/When remote is in hand". It's more accessible than having to go into settings every time I want to enable it, it is fairly trivial to bring it back but it still doesn't sit there in the corner all the time when I don't use it.

Could it be more than would fit on the screen? Would there be a scrollbar if that happens?

Yes. Yes.

1 year, 9 months ago

@oyunbagimlisi:

Regardless, I will definitely continue to use this mod. But I'll add a few FAs, thinking it might give you an idea as well. You can review.

Thanks for the screenshots! I didn't even know you could extend the number of rows for the shortcuts and just spent a lot of time until I found the setting. Also, it makes a difference that one can scroll through the list of shortcuts …:-D

@Qon:

So you may want to see the GUI even if you don't have the selection tool in your hand.

No, I don't. Not ME. Maybe someone else.

Sorry, I've used "you" generically there, please replace it with "one"! :-)

But that is why I suggested making it an mod setting. Instead of "Show top button: Yes/No", make it "Show top button: Yes/No/When remote is in hand".

Making things optional usually is a good idea (can get confusing, though, if there are too many options). How about this: If the player's cursor changes to the remote, unhide the toggle button. If the remote is removed from the cursor, hide the toggle button again unless the GUI is open. After the GUI has been closed using the toggle button, hide the toggle button unless the player is still holding the remote.

By the way: Should I get rid of the remote-control item altogether, or should item and shortcut coexist? The shortcut would put the item in your hand, but keeping the item (with recipe, so it can be crafted) would allow players to place it on the quickbar.

1 year, 9 months ago
(updated 1 year, 9 months ago)

But that is why I suggested making it an mod setting. Instead of "Show top button: Yes/No", make it "Show top button: Yes/No/When remote is in hand".

Making things optional usually is a good idea (can get confusing, though, if there are too many options). How about this: If the player's cursor changes to the remote, unhide the toggle button. If the remote is removed from the cursor, hide the toggle button again unless the GUI is open. After the GUI has been closed using the toggle button, hide the toggle button unless the player is still holding the remote.

Yes, sounds great.

By the way: Should I get rid of the remote-control item altogether, or should item and shortcut coexist? The shortcut would put the item in your hand, but keeping the item (with recipe, so it can be crafted) would allow players to place it on the quickbar.

If you make it a shortcut, then get rid of the item and have a hotkey instead. But here are some thoughts on if it should be item or shortcut:

The spidertron remotes are items, but they are individually linked to spiders so that is necessary. I don't think there's any point to having multiple car remotes as it is working right now, so it could be a shortcut. Artillery remote is an item as well though, and it could have been a shortcut but it isn't. So there is precedence for making things items.

There are more spaces for items than shortcuts, so for me personally I kind of like having it as an item. I don't really use the quickbar for buildables because I prefer using pipette-Q instead, and i have a lot of shortcuts already. But I also think shortcuts are a more beautiful solution when appropriate. But just because Factorio makes something an item doesn't mean it should be, Wube makes mistakes as well. The red and green wires should be shortcuts but they forgot to make them shortcuts when they introduced shortcuts to the game and transformed blueprints from items to shortcuts. And there is a mod that fixes that mistake.

But pretty much every shortcut should have a hotkey for the same action so you can use them without them being visible on the shortcut bar. That is something which isn't possible if it's an item needs to be crafted first. And since you would add a hotkey as well for the remote when making it a shortcut, I would like it being a shortcut. It would be equally easy for me to access, but since autodrive remotes are not unique unlike spidertron remotes then shortcut+hotkey seems like the slightly more "correct" way to do it.

It's not a huge matter though. The artillery remote could be argued to better fit as a shortcut for the same reason. But I'm not sure, it is probably used so seldom by many people that having it visible on the shortcut bar always would seem weird. But having it as an item kind of makes it appropriately accessible, not too easy to reach but not too far. The artillery remote is also a late game tool, and shortcut bar is kind of messed up with how it can't autohide tools which you haven't unlocked in the current save yet. So since it's a late game tool making it an item is a good thing because the research can unlock the recipe when you need it instead of earlier. Autodrive is kind of early mid game so it's not like it will be available as a shortcut for exceptionally long
before you can use it, but it's also not really early game so being hidden behind a recipe makes some sense also.

So there are good arguments either way. I think it's fine as an item and also fine as a shortcut+hotkey. But these were some considerations I thought of.

1 year, 9 months ago
(updated 1 year, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Yes, sounds great.

OK.

If you make it a shortcut, then get rid of the item and have a hotkey instead. But here are some thoughts on if it should be item or shortcut:

The spidertron remotes are items, but they are individually linked to spiders so that is necessary. I don't think there's any point to having multiple car remotes as it is working right now, so it could be a shortcut. Artillery remote is an item as well though, and it could have been a shortcut but it isn't. So there is precedence for making things items.

I was thinking of having both: item and shortcut. I wouldn't even be against making it an item that you just click on to get it (i.e., a recipe with just a result and no ingredients). I mean, I'd expect nobody to build an assembling line for remote controls -- one remote per player should be enough for the whole game, unless somebody loses it somewhere (you could place it in a chest and then forget the chest's location, or it could be destroyed along with the chest). From a modding perspective: the remote is a selection-tool (an extension of the "item" prototype), and clicking on a shortcut usually will put an item into the player's cursor stack.

But pretty much every shortcut should have a hotkey for the same action so you can use them without them being visible on the shortcut bar. That is something which isn't possible if it's an item needs to be crafted first. And since you would add a hotkey as well for the remote when making it a shortcut, I would like it being a shortcut. It would be equally easy for me to access, but since autodrive remotes are not unique unlike spidertron remotes then shortcut+hotkey seems like the slightly more "correct" way to do it.

I don't like hotkeys that much -- for the life of me, I couldn't decide on what key combination to assign as default value. It's even hard without other mods, and at some point you'll get so many mod-specific hotkeys that it's hard to assign a unique one for a specific shortcut. (Side note: for the next version of GCKI, I've just moved the car-keys from item to shortcut; there's no hotkey yet, either. I'll see if I can get away with that once I've uploaded the mod. Currently, I'm still waiting until another mod GCKI is interacting with is updated …)

The artillery remote is also a late game tool, and shortcut bar is kind of messed up with how it can't autohide tools which you haven't unlocked in the current save yet. So since it's a late game tool making it an item is a good thing because the research can unlock the recipe when you need it instead of earlier. Autodrive is kind of early mid game so it's not like it will be available as a shortcut for exceptionally long before you can use it, but it's also not really early game so being hidden behind a recipe makes some sense also.

In GCKI, the shortcut will be enabled by research. You'll see it on the list before that, but can't use it. Autohiding of disabled shortcuts -- sounds interesting. Let's see what the devs say about that! It would be comparable to recipes that are hidden from players until they've been unlocked.

Last time I was playing, I really liked to have usable things (grenades, capsules, repair packs, keys, remotes) on a quickbar, that's easy to use. Even though it's possible to add lines to the shortcut bar, the space there still is rather limited, so I'd consider it an advantage to have an item on the quickbar.

So there are good arguments either way. I think it's fine as an item and also fine as a shortcut+hotkey. But these were some considerations I thought of.

What's your opinion about item+shortcut, but no hotkey? :-)

1 year, 9 months ago

You know my opinion on that already :[
You should be able add a hotkey without a default bind if the issue is finding one of those. I don't think I will click the shortcut often, I wanted to test the mod because it could control vehicles with circuit network.

[It can't connect them to circuit network with circuit network signals though (it can only control them after they have been manually connected), so if I use another mod to spawn them automatically I still have to manually connect them before they start following my signals...]

If I don't have an item remote and use the hotkey or shortcut and then dismiss the tool, will I end up with an ever growing (or 1, which is also bad if I never explicitly craft one) amount of useless item remotes in my inventory?
I guess it's possible to have all 3 in a way that isn't bad, but it seems a bit weird to have both item tool and a non-item tool.

1 year, 9 months ago

You know my opinion on that already :[

Sorry, that's what happening when I'm switching between too many things too much. Obviously, I'm not very well suited for multitasking. :-D

You should be able add a hotkey without a default bind if the issue is finding one of those. I don't think I will click the shortcut often, I wanted to test the mod because it could control vehicles with circuit network.

OK, I'll check that out. If it is possible to leave the default key binding empty, than that would be easy! Leave all the headaches to the players if they insist on having a shortcut. Yes, that seems very reasonable indeed!

[It can't connect them to circuit network with circuit network signals though (it can only control them after they have been manually connected), so if I use another mod to spawn them automatically I still have to manually connect them before they start following my signals...]

I never dealt much with the circuit network stuff yet, that's still dorfl's code. But yes, being able to program routes using the circuit network seemed very interesting, and I even made a working proof-of-concept build for that. However, I'm not sure there's a good way to connect circuit and vehicles automatically. Using the remote control certainly is clumsy, but it's simple and it works.

If I don't have an item remote and use the hotkey or shortcut and then dismiss the tool, will I end up with an ever growing (or 1, which is also bad if I never explicitly craft one) amount of useless item remotes in my inventory?

Oh, right -- didn't think of that. While it would be easy to check if the player's cursor stack has changed, it would be hard to tell where a new item in it came from. It may be possible if on_lua_shortcut fires before on_ player_cursor_stack_changed (setting a flag for the player), but that would require some shenanigans and be error prone.

I guess it's possible to have all 3 in a way that isn't bad, but it seems a bit weird to have both item tool and a non-item tool.

As mentioned previously: using the shortcut will place the same type of item in your cursor stack that you could craft, and having a real item has its advantages. Where to dispose of it after use (silently delete, or place it back in the inventory) is the complicated part …

1 year, 9 months ago

Shortcuts for 1.1 (by ickputzdirwech
)
The functionality of this mod is high. If you are going to work on shortcut or key assignment, you can connect with this mod. The hotkey is always the most practical solution in my opinion. Turning the gui on and off from the game settings is more troublesome. Besides, I don't want to turn something like a remote control that will be needed frequently in the settings. Just a simple remote and a simple gui that will open once we get it in our hands will do the trick. I guess that's how aai mode was. Also "Unit Control"
You can also check the "by Klonan" mod. Klonan's work here was also quite simple. Basically what I want is a gui that is NOT FIXED in the top left. Most players do not want screen pollution. (Gui Unifyer and Gui Manager mods also have corresponding settings. (GUI Manager
by unhott' this mod actually had access to most mods, but lately I didn't open it because I didn't like its interface. I didn't check to see if it supports your mod. But ''Gui Unifyer'' does not see your mod as a gui. Finally, let me state this: your mod has a user-friendly and simple interface, away from the complexity of aai mod. (I find your mod more successful.) Moreover, it supports many mods such as helicopter mode, tesla tank, laser tank. I've tried all of them with great success. In laser tank mode (Laser Tanks Updated
by coolfarmer) even auto-switches to the other weapon when the tank gun ammo runs out. You can use weapons alternately, that is your mod. Yours is a very successful work :) This is what also affects me. The only thing missing is the guinea being stable.

New response