Spidertron Waypoints deprecated

Have more control over your spidertrons by using waypoints and creating patrols! Includes customizable 'Time passed' or 'Inactivity' wait conditions. ⚠️ Deprecated. Please use Spidertron Patrols instead. ⚠️

Content
3 years ago
1.0 - 1.1
Transportation Combat

i Operation modes

3 years ago

The remote currently appears to have 3 modes of operation, vanilla, waypoints and patrol.
I suggest removing the vanilla mode, as it is confusing to differentiate it from the waypoints mode, since there is no difference between the controls.

Thanks.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Thanks for the feedback. Ideally, there would be a 3rd icon to distinguish them... but my graphics capabilities are zero.
You can show the shortcut in the shortcut bar which will show if it is toggled on or off.
Some people like the vanilla mode, so I'd like to leave it in.

I'll experiment with temporary text appearing to say which you have switched to.

3 years ago

I'm going to put in a +1 on removing the vanilla mode. I've accidently toggled it off already and If i'm running your mod I'm expecting to have waypoints. maybe put vanilla mode under shift click? that way it clears the waypoints and also moves to the point you're clicking.

3 years ago

I would definitely do that if I could! Unfortunately due to limitations in the game API you cannot get both the position of the cursor and the modifiers pressed down with it in the same action. It is either 'click + modifier keys' or 'click + mouse position'.

I'm very open to more suggestions on the hotkeys and UX though! I definitely think that it has room for improvements. I guess I could add a setting to completely remove direct (vanilla) mode? You could just rebind the right-click hotkey to something else though.

In the next updates, I am planning:
- Control + Click to complete patrol (instead of clicking on the '1')
- Some other key that you can press after placing a waypoint that increases the amount of time that it spends there (easier, quicker and neater than spam clicking the same location)

If you've got any feedback about those, I'd appreciate it!

3 years ago

About configuring the time that the spidertron stays in one place, I think it can be valid for both waypoints and patrol. I suggest setting this up before setting up the point! Maybe you can use '+' and '-' for that. Or the scroll wheel!
I would also need some feedback on the set time!

Thanks.

3 years ago

It is possible to get the position of the cursor with right click? If yes, the could use that to clear waypoints and also moves to the point you're clicking.
Maybe use right click to complete the patrol route!

Thanks

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Yes, I meant adjusting the time for both waypoints and patrols. + and - is a good idea, and probably the scroll as well (not everyone has a scroll wheel). The time would be displayed next to the number on the ground or by the cursor (depending on if it is done before or after, not decided yet. I'm still leaning towards after).

Unfortunately no right click + position, only left click + position.

3 years ago

sucks on the api restrictions, but can't do much about that.

Control click sounds fine to me, I just wouldn't remove clicking the '1' as that seems a little more intuitive to use and a convention in a couple places.
... for the control click, is it going to navigate back to '1' or go in reverse order? I assume back to '1' but I can see it going either way.

UX wise I would tend to not use any right click anything on map operations because right click in the zoomed out radar map brings up a new tag modal dialog. (unless that's fixable)

Introducing the time delays I can definitely see the desire to edit the last placed and extending from that, being able to undo the last placed.

for '+', '-', button to increase time ... .... how about instead of a button (or as well) clicking an already existing waypoint brings up a modal that you can type in the time or possibly remove the waypoint if desired.....

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Good point about right click placing a tag on map. I don't think that's fixable by me but I could suggest that people rebind that to something else.

No reason not to have both click '1' and control click. I was planning on control click going straight to '1'. If people need to go in reverse order, they can already just click to go back around in reverse.

Good point about 'undo'. From that perspective it would make sense to have time editing also occur after placing. Likely as you say in a gui that appears when you click on a waypoint with a remote that allows time adjustments, deletion and probably some more train-like conditions in the future. That would be neater and easier to learn that random buttons like +/-, but I'd consider +/- as well.

3 years ago

I've implemented most of what we discussed here in 1.4. I'd be interested to hear if you had further feedback!

3 years ago

I tested the last version a little and I liked!

Thanks for the mod!

3 years ago

I'm enjoying the implementation as well. The only thing I can think of is maybe having an ability for a default duration for the path, something like hitting y before putting down the first waypoint sets the default wait time for that path instead of needing to hit y each waypoint.

also I wouldn't be worried about this, and wouldn't change your controls but FYI I did find that y is also used in Helmod for their mini recipie explorer.

3 years ago

Thanks for the info about helmod, but yeah, I'm not going to change my default. It was the closest single key to WASD that I could find that didn't have any base game function :)

I'll consider that suggestion about the default path duration after I've implemented being able to see the wait time for each waypoint on the map under the waypoint number. Until then, I think that it would be too confusing/unintuitive (it is already perhaps a little confusing because I make the 'Y' gui appear with the last-set wait time instead of starting at 0 each time, which makes it more efficient to use but it means that if you press 'Y' and then 'Enter', you are actually changing the wait time without actually adjusting any sliders/text). But that feature actually makes it closer to what you wanted for your default suggestion so I think that it is worth potential confusion.

3 years ago

Fair on that point on confusion and implementation. would it be possible to allow the enter button to be set to y as well and still show the window? Currently setting 'configure wait duration' and 'confirm wait duration entry' both to y makes the window not even show.

3 years ago

Yep, that should be possible, thanks for the suggestion

3 years ago

It is possible to add an option to remove the buttons from the shortcut bar (Waypoint mode and Patrol mode). With the possibility of using keyboard shortcuts and the SHIFT + Scroll Wheel, I think that the buttons are not necessary.
I have several other mods installed and my shortcut bar is already too big!

Thanks.

3 years ago

You can easily customise the shortcut bar by pressing the config button (I think it is a ‘...’) to the right of it. Then untick any shortcuts you don’t want or reorder them.

3 years ago

The mode of operation should be linked to each remote, and not globally.
I realized that if I change the mode of operation of one control, all other controls are affected!
If it is possible to make this change, I think that the shortcut buttons would no longer make sense to exist...

Thanks.

3 years ago

That's an interesting suggestion, and for some reason not something that I had considered before. In some ways, it would have been easier to program the mod that way, but because it is already done in its current form, I'm not too keen to go back and change it now.
I'll consider it (perhaps as an option), but I wouldn't get your hopes up because I expect to be quite busy for the next couple of months with other things. Also I really want to do the 'wait for x seconds of inactivity' first :)

3 years ago

@Xaen I think that I've addressed both of your issues in 1.6.0. Press Y at any time to set the default waypoint configuration, and press Y whilst the GUI is open to close and accept. No control rebinding necessary (Enter still works, but is a separate control).

Let me know if you have more suggestions around this topic!

3 years ago

Awesome, It's looking real good. The only real thing I can find is something that is out of your control. Using the inactivity timeout when you're riding along and the only roboports are on your character doesn't reset the timeout. The ROI on that change is minimal at best and probably needs a change in the api. I don't have any real suggestions at the moment but will post if more comes to mind. Once again, It's working awesomely for me and very helpful mod.

3 years ago

That would definitely be possible to implement (in fact detecting changes in the player's inventory is way easier than in any other inventory), but player's riding the spidertron whilst on patrol honestly wasn't something that I'd considered. I'll likely add that at some point, but probably not for a while.

New response