Schall Tank Platoon

Adds different classes and tiers of tanks in-par with power armors, having vehicle equipment grid. Aims to fill the gaps the vanilla game should have. Not overhaul nor OP. Vanilla oriented and balanced. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Русский, Português Brasileiro, Español)

Content
6 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Transportation Combat

i [Solved] Schall's Mod Tab

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

As the title suggests, would you consider making your own tab for Schall's stuff?

I love your mods, and it would be easier to use if a lot of your stuff had its own tab to sort through. One notable occurrence is that the maker of AAI decided it would be best to auto-split all vehicles that have multiple weapons into separate vehicles, to allow for the primary weapons as we discussed in the other thread. As you can imagine, this causes the Logistics tab to become... Filled.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/957487078839103208/96E2EE7F168657672FEFEB47D7C08F0FDC8A974D/

On a similarly related note, I always thought it would be nice to have all the tanks on their own row according to their tier, so another reason to add a mod tab!

Thanks for the consideration, stay awesome!

Edit: A side-thought, while I have your attention. I always thought it was weird that the naming convention of the tanks is the basic tank, then "Mk 1", then "Mk 2". Technically speaking, the basic tank is the "Mk 1" and the final tank should be "Mk 3". Just a thought, I hope I don't sound too obnoxious!

5 years ago

When Tank Platoon being my first mod adding real entities to the game (when having only 5 types of tanks up to MK2, total of 16 vehicles), I have not even think about that.
But yes, when I started to add more entities with newer mods like Alien Tech, I have once thought of putting them in other tab. End up 3 choices at that time:
A) Merge into vanilla tabs, as integrated to vanilla game. (Current choice.)
B) A single "Schall" tab for all my mods.
C) Multiple tabs in different category. For example, one for "Schall logistics" (all those armoured locomotives, Tank Platoon tanks, Alien Tech tanks, etc.), one "Schall production" (those overtiers from Machine Scaling), one "Schall Intermediate" (those alien ore conversions recipes from Alien Tech), and one for "Schall Weapons" (all those new ammo ,turrets and equipment).

There are goods and bads for each choice. Let me name some of them:
First of all, I do not think I have enough entities/recipes to set up independent tabs.
Secondly, before I started modding, I really HATE all those mods adding tons of new tabs, while some of them having just having less than 10 recipes inside. And when having those overhaul mods (Angel's, Bob's, 5Dim, Yuoki, etc... yeah, long time ago...), EACH of them introduce 1 to 4 new tabs, cluttering the "crafting tab bar", which really annoys me. I even found some mods trying to "regroup" them into less tabs, so I am quite sure at least a proportion people share the same opinion with me. So I am least favoured towards choice C, probably never fond of it.

For choice B, it still makes all my entities look separated from vanilla game. It also gives the "wrong" impression to players that my mods are overhaul mods. (I always aim to only extend vanilla gameplay, NOT replacing vanilla mechanics. At least my mods are not trying to circumvent the vanilla ore processing like Angel/Bobs.)
There could be some (minor) concerns too. For example the vehicle batteries and shields. Should they be in the new "Schall" tab? And how about personal battery and personal shield MK3 (from Alien Tech)? Should they be alongside with their vanilla MK2 variant? Also the same for overtier production machines (from Machine Scaling).

So I will just stick to choice A, for the moment. At least before some downside of choice B is solved.

For "tiers" of tanks, do you mean the light tanks and medium tanks in their separate rows? Or separte MK1 row, MK 2 row, MK3 row, etc?
I have thought of this within choice A. But it may make extra rows in the already long "logistics" tab, so I decided to drop this idea at that time.

5 years ago

About your edit, yes, it does not sounds too good.
But that was supposed to be matching the power armor level naming, to avoid confusion.
For example, medium tank MK3 unlocked by power armor MK2 tech... Can be really confusing to players.
Therefore, I prefer this "bad" naming, rather than confusing players with the different MK numbers.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I do mean the Mk 1, Mk 2, and Mk 3 variants to be in their own rows, left to right. I think that would be a really nice sorting scheme. (Especially since the mod already takes up 3 rows fully researched, with AAI's weapon splits)

I am definitely fond of option B, as well, but I respect your desires to keep it akin to vanilla. For the AAI mod a community member was responsible for creating the crafting tab for that, not the original creator, and I do hope someone at least makes a mod for yours too! https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AAI-CraftTab

Final thoughts is that I still think for example, the "Medium Tank" should be "Medium Tank MK1", "Medium Tank MK1" should be "Medium Tank MK 2", etc, up to MK3 for all of the vehicles. But like the crafting tab I by no means expect you to do so, it is simply a freeloaders suggestion. As expected, your response is swift and detailed, you really are an awesome mod maker. Thanks for all you do!

Another edit: If you are trying to match Vanilla naming conventions, then the current MK1 tank should still be named MK2, as we have Power Armor (Implied MK1), and Power Armor MK 2. For the tanks themselves, you can do the same and have the research for Flame Tank MK2 be called just that, Flame Tank MK2. Even if there is no Flame Tank MK1 research (just as an example.)

5 years ago

Alright, actually I have also tried the MK1 row - MK2 row - MK3 row layout some time ago. Why I did not pick that is an "unexpected" reason. I am a poor graphics artist and do not have different icon for each tank, I only using light/dark tinting for light/medium/heavy tanks. So these icons are not so visually distinguishable in such layout.
The current layout (with the yellow "I" and "II" numerals) actually helped to separate the light tanks from the medium tanks.
I will look into this again, if there are better ways for the icons.

I just have an option D in my mind: a single "Vehicles" tab. Since I think these "mobile" entities deserve a new tab on their won. I could move all my mod vehicles, and the vanilla car and trains into this tab. But desirably also all other mod vehicles as well.
But it would rely on the attitude of Factorio dev team. (If dev put them in new tabs, natually all modders will follow suit.)
If not, it would depend on co-operation from fellow vehicle modders to "join" using this tab.
If all these fail, it would just reduce to be a "Schall Vehicle" tab, losing the advantages.

Sorry, I still have to put "name/number matching" to avoid confusion as higher priority.
But if devs eventually change the name of power armor MK2 (for example, like rename it "advanced power armor", dropping the number), then I can change the names as you suggested.

Although not every suggestions can be accepted due to balancing or other concerns, please continue to give comments to make the mods better! Thanks for you support!

5 years ago

Option D sounds wonderful, I fully support that idea 100%. If anything else comes to mind, i'll be sure to let you know! You are by far the most receptive mod dev i've seen, you respond promptly and you exceed all expectations on feedback. 11/10, would freeload content again!

On name convention, if it's not too redundant see the latest edit on my previous post, I don't know if you saw it since I edited it recently, but I think it's worth making sure. However you go, I am definitely supportive of you just based on your attitude alone. Stay awesome!

5 years ago

I saw your previous edit.
The current "Flame Tank MK2" is using the tech and grid of "Power Armor MK2". I want them to use the same label "2", that is what I meant by "number matching". It is the same label "2" for the tech unlocking it: "Flame Tank 2".

If taking your new convention, then we would have something like tech "Power Armor MK2" followed by tech "Flame Tank 2" (or "Flame Tank 3" if relabel lv 0/1/2 as 1/2/3), which unlocks "Flame Tank MK3" (relabel -/MK1/MK2 as -/MK2/MK3). It means having mix of both "2" or "3" for the same technology level of weapons. This is what may confuse the players (and even myself), as mentioned before.

Personally I am in favour of option D too. I will see if Factorio devs and some big mod devs if they are interested in the idea. However, I don't have the time to work on it yet, since I have other ideas/requests needing to implement first. For example, armoured inserters, particle beam turret damage bonus tech line, landfill vehicle, etc are all requested for more than two weeks ago... So I feel these requests (esp. as new contents) should have higher priorities.

So I don't mind, and even welcome if someone (like author of AAI CraftTab or other tab regroup modders) can take over this job.

4 years ago

I have created a new mod Transport Group, which does most (if not all) of your requests.
- New group tab "Transport" for all vehicles and transport items (rails, signals, stations).
- A new subgroup row for each tier. To enable this, you have to check the option "Tiered military vehicles subgroups" from "Schall Tank Platoon" side.
Hope this would be helpful to you.

PS: Most vehicles from other mods should be moved to this group. But for them to be placed "properly" (I mean in the correct subgroup), please request from those authors to set the correct subgroup. Detailed instructions are provided on my mod page FAQ.

New response