Schall Railway Controller

Assist train organizations and dispatches. Adds a GUI listing idling and stalled trains (or other customizable filters). Displays train status, for easy and quick schedule inspection and assignment. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, 简体中文, Português Brasileiro)

Utilities
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Trains

b [Solved] Same Surface Filter + Space Exploration

3 years ago

Seems that filtering trains on the same surface doesn't work. Maybe just not with SE mod? It shows me trains over all planets (surfaces). When you click on the train in GUI, which happens to be on different surface, it zooms the view but train is not there. That's because the train is on other surface.
Any suggestions?

3 years ago

Thanks for reporting. I will look into the surface filtering thing.

Zoom to train on different surface may not be solvable though, as API of LuaPlayer::zoom_to_world seems not having anyway to specify target surface. And there seems no easy way to change to which surface to view, at least in the whole LuaPlayer API.
I guess when I wrote this piece of code, I was sleepy and just made the wrong assumption that the position will magically implies the train's surface... Perhaps I will just add an additional check whether the specified train and player are on the same surface; while skipping view change if not on the same surface.

3 years ago

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Zoom to train on different surface may not be solvable though,....
And there seems no easy way to change to which surface to view, at least in the whole LuaPlayer API.

It doesn't need to, at least not with SE mod - for viewing other surfaces you need their special tech anyway. Nav satelite uplink. Once you're on other surface through that, your GUI targets trains well there. Even when you stand on different surface.
I believe, that the GUI filter "on the same surface as you are physically on" will be enough.

And if I may some wishes:
- would be possible to control that train? Like hop in and drive it?
- go to next scheduled station, aka.: skip to next?
<3

Thanks for you great mods, using few of them!

3 years ago

Just released updates 0.17.4 / 0.18.4 / 1.0.2 / 1.1.2. Should have solved the surface filters and zoom to train bugs.
I tested them with Factorissimo2, but it should work similar for other multi-surface mods.

And if I may some wishes:
- would be possible to control that train? Like hop in and drive it?

Have thought about this some time ago. But traffic jams can mostly be solved by "temporary station" feature, introduced in 0.17.0. The only remaining uses (by me) of manual control of trains are for initial placement or combat (in armoured trains), where player character is already on site anyway.
Therefore, I find this will not be that useful.
Another worry is that users may abuse this feature, especially for some multi-surface mods. As an immediate idea pops in my mind with Factorissimo2: Placing a train in each surface allows me to instantly see and manipulate things around. Guess users may abuse it even further with multi-"planet" mods.

• go to next scheduled station, aka.: skip to next?

Can already be done in Schedule GUI, highlight the desired station and click the big right arrow button labelled "Go to the station".
Can also be done with vanilla train GUI (either by direct click on train, or accessed by Schedule GUI button "Edit schedule".

Unless you are asking for an extra button on the main "Railway Controller" GUI... But any real need to batch skip stations for multiple trains? I prefer to keep the main GUI clean, than to add such rarely used buttons to each entry row.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Another worry is that users may abuse this feature, especially for some multi-surface mods. As an immediate idea pops in my mind with Factorissimo2: Placing a train in each surface allows me to instantly see and manipulate things around. Guess users may abuse it even further with multi-"planet" mods.

If it was again, for same surface only, in GUI you can hide control(disable) button for those on different surfaces, no abuse there.
And sometimes temporary station is not solution (0.17.0) when you need drive backwards some trains to resolve jam. ;)

Unless you are asking for an extra button on the main "Railway Controller" GUI... But any real need to batch skip stations for multiple trains? I prefer to keep the main GUI clean, than to add such rarely used buttons to each entry row.

Exactly, on the gui only. Its only QOL improvement, not important, it will only spare you few clicks when you just want to dismiss train out of unloading station, for example when you want replace tracks on that station. But true, could be a clutter in GUI

New response