Schall Circuit Scaling

Adds scaled down versions in different sizes for various circuit components. With these mini- and micro-sized (sub-tile) components, circuit designs can be made much more compact. It is also possible to construct dot matrix lamp display with finer “pixels”, offering higher resolution! Works best with “Schall Lamp Contrast” mod. Includes lamp, arithmetic combinator, decider combinator, constant combinator. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, Português Brasileiro)

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Circuit network

i [Responded] support for more combinators

1 year, 10 months ago

Hi,
i am currently fiddling with your code in my local copy to get more combinators scaled down. What i have achieved so far is that i can build an place entities. Still they dont work as the original. When i open the entity-GUI some rudimentary dialog comes up instead of the expected.

i tried to figure how your code relates to the vanilla combinators in regards of UI and function, but i still have no idea where the hooks are.
The combinators i am currently trying to incorporate are from the crafting-combinator mod, crafting and recipe combinator.

I would appreciate if you can give some pointers.

1 year, 10 months ago

Hi,
i am currently fiddling with your code in my local copy to get more combinators scaled down. What i have achieved so far is that i can build and place scaled entities. Still they dont work as the original. When i open the entity-GUI some rudimentary dialog comes up instead of the expected.

i tried to figure how your code relates to the vanilla combinators in regards of UI and function, but i still have no idea where the hooks are.
The combinators i am currently trying to incorporate are from the crafting-combinator mod, crafting and recipe combinator.

I would appreciate if you can give some pointers.

5 months ago

Sorry for the late reply.
I was having a long break from Factorio, as the game is still on 1.1.

For scaling down vanilla combinators, I was just handling all the position and graphics stuff.
No real magic behind, no hooks, nor no extra script (control.lua) are needed. So it was relatively simple to do.

If you want to try this on "artificial" combinators from other mods, that is another story.
Most (if not all) of them relies on control stage script to mimic the control signal output. And they may involve entity name checking, entity tracking and records, which are much more complex to be handled. Only their authors know the best about the styles of mimic tricks they have applied... So if you are encountering such problems, I would suggest you to dig into their code (esp. control.lua) and ask the relevant mod authors about how their mods work.

This is also the reason why I have not tried to scale down such artificial combinators by myself (although I also love using some of them.) Altering their control stage scripts to make things work together is much much more complicated.

5 months ago

I almost lost hope that you ever reply after such a long time and more than 2 years of inactivity.

I was worried that you may have been caught by covid or other means.

Thank you for your pointers, i figured meanwhile as well that my idea may turn into a challenge to dig and fiddle within the control code of those mods in question.
If and how it may be possible depends also how modular the mods are implemented.

btw, are you german or german speaking by any chance, your name at least sound alike

5 months ago

Thanks for checking on me!
Yes, I have been contracted with covid once. Yet that was rather recent, which caused only very mild symptoms to be. Speedily recovered after a week, it was no big deal.
I can no longer devote as much time to Factorio modding because of my new job. It is a rather busy one. I no longer have any "consecutive two hour slot" on weekdays, which is the minimum requirement for any serious coding (e.g., repicking up the status of the code, then thinking of what and how to code.) Weekends are the only possible time. The main game is still on 1.1, which did not motivate me as much yet.

No worries though! Your and other users' comments has warmed me up!
I have first fixed the only (seemingly) critical bug of Schall Tank Platoon. Now I am (slowly) checking and repicking up other mods, to see what I can do for any minor fixes and small features.
Also a "big" thing going on is a new mod. It was 40% complete before my inactivity, and now it is 80% done. After completing and publishing it, I can then pay much more attention back to updating & improving previous mods.

It is rather time consuming to dig, to develop, and to maintain compatibility code with mods not coded by myself. I have not formally attempted such thing yet, especially when time is what I am lacking most.

Yes, I am German speaking, and my nickname is a "typical" German compound word. :-D
This is also why I provided German locale in Schall Language Pack for each of my mods myself. Yet I was a science student. Grammar is always my weak point. My locale texts are nowhere close to perfect.
So if you can spot any grammatical (or spelling) errors in my German (or any other locales) texts, please do not hesitate to point them out!

New response