Renai Transportation

Se~no to traditional belts and tiresome walking with these ridiculous ways to transport items and yourself around your factory. Features: Thrower inserters, train ramps, player launchers, bounce pads, ziplines, and more

Content
4 months ago
0.18 - 1.1
Transportation Logistics Trains

b Another Bug Report [1.5/3 fixed ✅]

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I've used this mod for 20 hours now and have run into a few bugs with this mod:

1: The thrower inserters don’t work right when the pickup location is modified (tested all adjustable inserter mods) as they throw stuff way too fast. I already see others have mentioned this before me, but perhaps you can take a look at how Bobingabout tried to fix that? Because I know in his inserter mod he had a very similar issue with angled inserters being way too fast.

2: Another inserter problem, they tend to have a habit of overfilling whatever they’re throwing things into creating a huge mess even when not angled unless they’re directly throwing stuff into assemblers. I’ve been using the circuit network to have the thrower inserters turn off after there’s X amount of an item being stored, but I wonder if there’s a way to improve the inserters so that I don’t have to use the circuit network by perhaps building a circuit network like feature into them. Also sometimes they do have that problem when throwing directly into assemblers and making a huge mess if it’s something very fast and high throughput, also this problem is really bad when trying to throw directly on belts and almost always results in a huge mess.

3: Train ramps sometimes cause trains to skip a destination and go to the next one, for example if I have a simple loop and 2 stations and a ramp in the middle that is nowhere near either station, if I tell it to fill up at 1 and empty at 2, it will go to 1 and fill up, then head towards 2 and when it goes over a ramp as soon as it lands the destination it’s going to automatically gets set at 1, so it ends up looping forever and never unloading at station 2 because its destination keeps changing back to 1. Removing the ramp fixes this problem entirely but is not as cool.

Also I’m running a near vanilla game with your mod just with some other QoL mods (warehouses, adjustable inserters, etc), I’m not using any large modpacks. So far it has been an absolute blast in spite of the issues I’ve faced and I’ve been streaming the run nearly every day on twitch and I very much hope that you will be able to work out these problems

3 years ago

Hello Croix, thank you for the kind words, and I'm glad you're having so much fun with my mod despite it's current flaws. At 20 hours you've probably played as long as if not more time than I've spent testing it. It's no problem if you don't have any solutions in mind, I'm not an experienced programmer (I work in manufacturing) so I'll definitely take up your advice and ask some of the modding wise men out there for some insight. Any idea what the best way to contact them is?

For number 1, I don't personally consider it a bug and the interaction is pretty funny to me, but enough people have brought it up that I think it's worth fixing, I just never had any idea how. Maybe I can find something from Bob that will help like you said

Number 2 is probably the hardest to create a good fix for because of just how many entities are intertwined at once and how they would all share information with each other to start/stop reliably while still being intuitive for players to work with. I honestly wouldn't even know where to start. The items overflowing and piling up was always part of the meme, I knew it didn't really match how "clean" the rest of the automation in Factorio was, and I never expected my mod would be so popular that it would ever negatively affect anyone so I left it like that. I don't have any ideas for this yet, but I appreciate you telling me about your experience with the issue and how you've been working around it. All feedback and comments makes the experience and community feel more real and I hope I can make the experience of my mod more fun and complete for you and everyone else 😁

3 I actually have some ideas on, the simplest of which would be adding a gui you can click to open for each ramp with a toggle setting for whether or not you want that ramp to push the train's schedule forward by one stop or not. I just have to find time to learn how to make popup GUIs and implement it.

Thank you again for the detailed write up, everything does help in making things better. What is your twitch channel? Maybe I'll drop by sometime

3 years ago

twitch is LastFreeFool where a friend is streaming our run

3 years ago

So I contacted Mr. bob on his adjustable inserter mod page and unfortunately it seems like he didn't end up fixing the hyper speed issue. It was definitely a good idea to ask though, and I appreciate your advice

3 years ago

In the new version 0.5.0 I put some experimental code to help with item overflow, particularly with transport belts a thrower should stop throwing items if the belt is full, even if goes through a few bounce pads. You have to enable it in map settings though since it probably uses more UPS than limiting them by circuits if UPS is a big concern

New response