Realistic Fusion Power

Adds a new way to produce energy through nuclear fusion. Fully compatible with K2, Angel's/Bob's, SE and IR2. Currently getting rewritten (see end of description).

Content
11 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Power

i [Added in 1.6.0] RFP+SE

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

It seems as if you forgot that SE exists. This mod as a whole cannot be used in space. Consider adding this line to every entity:
data.raw[type][name].se_allow_in_space =true
Also, the antimatter processor cannot make SE antimatter.

3 years ago

RFP/W is not compatible with SE yet. I will make an integration patch eventually, but for now you can use https://mods.factorio.com/mod/se-rfp, after changing the game version.

3 years ago

There is also the issue with SE with items with too many ingredients not being buildable in Level 3 assembling machines. I have the patch enabled.

2 years ago

i would like to make this a +1 for this,, just to let you know, there is more using your Cool mod, waiting for the SE patch :)
no rush or anything just a +1 for me :)

cheers
Canadus.

2 years ago

I didn't have much time to work on my mods because of school and entrance exams, but I should be able to start working on the patch pretty soon.
No ETA though, SE is a really big mod so it will probably take a pretty long time. And then there's K2 and SE together, which will probably take even longer.

2 years ago

Education first, just consider this another +1
Thanks so much for the mod so far :)

2 years ago

Added in 1.6.0, finally.

2 years ago

If you plan on improving this, here's a few things you should keep in mind:

SE forbids generators from having efficiency above 1, so make sure it's not a key factor in the mod's operation (this is one reason why k2 fusion is so nerfed with se, actually.)

Try to make it so that the process doesn't generate more water than it consumed. In some places, water is intended to be a finite resource you need to import, so it being created would mess things up.

SE introduced the high temperature turbine and 5k steam, so this is something you can take advantage of yourself.

2 years ago

and crash likely with k2 more locomotives

https://imgur.com/RBRdL1F

2 years ago

and crash likely with k2 more locomotives

https://imgur.com/RBRdL1F

Fixed in 1.6.1, forgot to test with the replace K2 setting disabled.

If you plan on improving this, here's a few things you should keep in mind:

SE forbids generators from having efficiency above 1, so make sure it's not a key factor in the mod's operation (this is one reason why k2 fusion is so nerfed with se, actually.)

Try to make it so that the process doesn't generate more water than it consumed. In some places, water is intended to be a finite resource you need to import, so it being created would mess things up.

I've looked at https://spaceexploration.miraheze.org/wiki/Mod_compatibility_guide before I made the patch. RFP doesn't have any generators with an efficiency over 1, and water is separated into deuterium and deuterium-depleted water so that you get no more DDW than the water you put in. I will make DDW usable in SE's stuff if it's possible, though I don't know how hard that will be yet.

SE introduced the high temperature turbine and 5k steam, so this is something you can take advantage of yourself.

SE's high-temperature turbine and exchanger are unlocked with every science 4, RFP's HC turbines/exchangers are unlocked with energy 2 and material 1. It takes a long time to get from D-T fusion to high-temp turbines, in which time you'd have to use vanilla stuff (which, with hundreds of turbines per D-T reactor, is quite a pain).

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Some feedback on this topic now that it's been implemented:
1) Locking away D-D fusion and basic Girdler-Sulfide behind initial rocket science is obnoxious, but tenable.
2) Space Explorationalready handled a lot of the RFP integration prior to this update, ensuring early D-D fusion was possible before going to space, but D-T fusion still need substantial space science to unlock. It was a very useful means of providing energy for CME defense, often encountered at least once before one is able to go to space. Again, not the end of the world, but just obnoxious in having to fall back on fission power.
3) RFP's high-capacity heat exchanger and turbine are no longer accessible before SpaceEx's - while the science pack requirements for that actual technology is fairly early, it mysteriously (possibly as a bug/mistake or conflict with K2, apparently) requires Deep Space 3 as a prerequisite through D-D Fusion Efficiency 1. This also means it is possible to unlock Space Ex's Antimatter power before RFP's D-T fusion can be even started: https://i.imgur.com/HauOL1J.png

Edit:
Point 3 is actually mistaken - It has always been the case when using SpaceEx and K2 together: Reverting to RFP 1.5.3 shows that D-D fusion efficiency 1 (and 2), a prerequisite for Tritium Breeding, is still locked behind Deep Space 3, though here it required K2's Optimization Tech Cards instead of various SpaceEx science packs. https://i.imgur.com/NV9U4Hp.png

Point 2 also mistakenly assumed SpaceEx did integration work. This was wrong, sorry. Krastorio2, however, does a lot of legwork and integration with RFP that doesn't generally play well when also using SpaceExploration.

Suggestions:
Option 1: Redefine D-D fusion efficiency 1's requirements to remove Deep Space Science 3, if possible - the ideal solution.
Option 2: Remove D-D fusion efficiencies as a prerequisite for Tritium Breeding and merely make it a direct child from D-D Fusion.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

1) Locking away D-D fusion and basic Girdler-Sulfide behind initial rocket science is obnoxious, but tenable.
2) Space Exploration already handled a lot of the RFP integration prior to this update, ensuring early D-D fusion was possible before going to space, but D-T fusion still need substantial space science to unlock. It was a very useful means of providing energy for CME defense, often encountered at least once before one is able to go to space. Again, not the end of the world, but just obnoxious in having to fall back on fission power.

Thanks for the feedback! I never played with SE before making the patch, so I had pretty much no idea what science packs were appropriate. I also overlooked that SE doesn't make production and utility science completely useless, and making all of D-D fusion be researchable with the same science packs as fission wouldn't be a good idea (would pretty much make players skip fission entirely). I'll probably change the tech requirements of D-D fusion to production science, some of its upgrades to utility science and D-T to rocket science, then change the others from there.

3) RFP's high-capacity heat exchanger and turbine are no longer accessible before SpaceEx's - while the science pack requirements for that actual technology is fairly early, it mysteriously (possibly as a bug/mistake or conflict with K2, apparently) requires Deep Space 3 as a prerequisite through D-D Fusion Efficiency 1. This also means it is possible to unlock Space Ex's Antimatter power before RFP's D-T fusion can be even started: https://i.imgur.com/HauOL1J.png

Edit:
Point 3 is actually mistaken - It has always been the case when using SpaceEx and K2 together: Reverting to RFP 1.5.3 shows that D-D fusion efficiency 1 (and 2), a prerequisite for Tritium Breeding, is still locked behind Deep Space 3, though here it required K2's Optimization Tech Cards instead of various SpaceEx science packs. https://i.imgur.com/NV9U4Hp.png

Point 2 also mistakenly assumed SpaceEx did integration work. This was wrong, sorry. Krastorio2, however, does a lot of legwork and integration with RFP that doesn't generally play well when also using SpaceExploration.

Suggestions:
Option 1: Redefine D-D fusion efficiency 1's requirements to remove Deep Space Science 3, if possible - the ideal solution.
Option 2: Remove D-D fusion efficiencies as a prerequisite for Tritium Breeding and merely make it a direct child from D-D Fusion.

Neither K2 nor SE have any specific integration patches for RFP/W, just general patches applied to all mods (RFP does have patches for both K2 and SE, though). I have no idea why D-D efficiency 1 has deep space science 3 as a requirement, but if I had to guess I'd say that SE's postprocess added it (it also makes RFP's antimatter theory, production and energy require deep space science 1 even though they should require deep space science 2), in which case I cannot do anything. I'll probably message Earendel on discord to see if he could do something, if not I'll do the second option you suggested.

2 years ago

Nevermind, it isn't SE¨s postprocess. Something added it in either the data or data-updates stage, because I can change it back in data-final-fixes. I'll change the tech tree and release it along with it, shouldn't take too long.

2 years ago

Nevermind the nevermind, it is actually the postprocess messing with it. If I remove it from D-D efficiency 1, it appears on D-D efficiency 2, if I remove it there, it appear on D-D efficiency 3 etc. If I remove it from everywhere it appears, SE postprocess then crashes on startup. I'll message Earendel, hopefully he can help.

2 years ago

Fixed in 1.6.2, it was apparently a bug with the postprocess, Earendel told me what I had to do to fix it until he fixes it in SE.

2 years ago

You are correct, I did make a lot of assumptions as to the causes, but I'm glad it's been addressed! Earendel is a titan of Factorio modding and I have mad respect for them.

But yeah, those assumptions were based on the fact that the later fusion technologies (when running both SpaceEx and K2) were previously altered to require K2 optimization cards and other K2 technologies, even though there was the issue with the SpaceEx Deep Space prerequisite. I was pressed for time (outside matters) and wanting to help as much as possible, sorry for running in circles a little.

2 years ago

Just as note Space Exporation has it's own electric boiler so can you integrate the recipes into one of them.

2 years ago

Just as note Space Exporation has it's own electric boiler so can you integrate the recipes into one of them.

It doesn't have two outputs, though...

2 years ago

Yep, that's the problem. I would've done it if it had 2 (or more) outputs.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I was think you would pick one of the electric boilers (in this case likely yours) and put all the recipes in there. Also I didn't see the two outputs I thought that was an input and the names are the same which doesn't help.

2 years ago

hi,
electric boiler can't be placed in space. is this wantered?

2 years ago

You're right, it should be possible to place it in space. Fixed in 1.6.7.

2 years ago

aha that was fast thx!

New response