Fluidic Power

Overhauls the power network to use the game's built-in fluid system in an attempt to make electricity more realistic. Adds working transformers for high power transmission, and creates various new and interesting power distribution challenges. Similar to the mods Flow Network and High Voltage, but significantly different by being the first mod that uses no on-tick power calculations. This means the UPS impact should be minimal for non-gigantic bases.

Content
8 days ago
Power

g [Not a bug] Source Poles give a light, that only works when it's active

2 years ago

So what's happening is that it keep flickering on and off. I'd prefer either no light or light all the time.

2 years ago

Thanks for your report. I'm fairly certain that the source power poles don't have light in normal Fluidic Power. However, under the hood it's an assembler, so it might be that one of your other mods changed something. Yould possibly supply me with a modlist? Then I might be able to fix it.

2 years ago

Oh, I was just looking at the poles I could see to see what they were modified by. I forgot you use compound entities. The culprit is probably https://mods.factorio.com/mod/inbuilt_lighting

2 years ago

Yeah, I don't think I can easily fix that on my end, unless that adds a way to ignore certain entities, but that doesn't seem possible at the moment looking at the code.

It's quite funny what's happening though. There's of course a power pole in my compound entity, so a light is placed below it. The generator turns on and off intermittently as the hidden fluid assembler creates the fluid, maintaining a steady supply. But, the hidden light only has power when the generator is actually running, because it can't consume my "power fluid". And hence it flashes! XD So essentially, there's no way to stop the flashing of source poles with hidden lights.

2 years ago

Yeah, I'll have to talk to the other modder. An exclusion would probably be best.

2 years ago

You could also switch to this mod which by simply using settings. Not sure how easy it will be to migrate to the new mod though. But if you figure it out I can give you a list of entities that it should ignore. However, this does mean that source poles won't emit any light, only the normal poles.

2 years ago

And what overhaul mod are you playing with? I don't recognise those generator entities, and it will be nice to hear that Fluidic Power is compatible with said mod.

2 years ago

Those generators are from https://mods.factorio.com/mod/turbinesplusplus, not an overhaul :)

2 years ago

Ah that looks really cool! Do you mind if I use that pic on the mod page? And IMO that's part of why this mod can be fun, supplying power large amounts of power at small locations.

What's bottlenecking in that setup though? Moving energy from the accumulators to the lasers should theoretically not be an issue, because each one of those substations should be able to deliver 100MW, which should handle your 30ish lasers fine (depending how modded they are :P). So I guess your accumulators keep running out, which means your transformers cannot charge it fast enough. IIRC each transformer can only supply 50MW, so you could do with more transformers maybe.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Each laser is using 7.7 MW. They say they're not modifier by anything, but...

And yes, you can use the image.

I'm also going to be doing Replicators with this. Those things are power hungry as well.

2 years ago

Mostly, I just kept adding more power delivery until they were no longer browning out.

New response