ClaustOrephobic

by Braxbro

A purely data-stage implementation of dangOreous-esque gameplay that supports map preview and (most) mods.

Scenarios
3 months ago
Environment

g too much ore

3 months ago
(updated 3 months ago)

I love this mod. It's so much fun to play.
I play it together with the mod Hardcrafting, which makes everything a bit more complicated - and even more fun.
I have one small problem:
tl;dr: Could you maybe set the richness internally to 1/4 of the set value by default when generating the resources?
Explanation:
If you leave the richness of ores at 100%, so many ores are generated that you really can't get any further. Very soon you'll be choking on material. The game is dominated by getting rid of all the stuff. This is not particularly fun.
You can greatly enlarge the starting area, but then there's no more claustrophobia.
What worked for me was to set the richness to 25%. Unfortunately, you then have little choice to set a resource a little higher or lower (only 17% or 33%).
At 25% there is still the problem of too many resources at the beginning, but it has changed from "Annoyance" to "Challenge".
A resource tile then has about 50 resources. A bit of hand mining is also acceptable - you need it to dig out access to the water.
Btw: I use a starting radius of 16.

3 months ago

Fair enough. Here's what I did to turn down the inventory problems on an alien world a bit. :)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Alchemistry
Now you play with how much conversion to do, what ratios, what you are short on. It's not too cheaty unless the ore space is the main challenge of this mod.

3 months ago

Btw: I use a starting radius of 16.

Well, there's part of your issue. ClaustOrephobic's distance scaling is based, in part, upon starting radius. When balancing this mod I did my best to limit the 'oh god I have to move drills constantly' effect (it's still pretty bad on default settings) and cutting base richness by a further 1/4 would lead to bigger issues on larger starting areas.

3 months ago

Dangoreus increases the amount of ore much faster and that was somehow not so good either.
I think it would be a nice further challenge if, for example, you experience a shortage further out and now have to see how to manage the constant expansion.
Other than that, I can understand you. It's complex and since I don't have time to familiarize myself with it, I guess I have to live with it.
Btw, meanwhile I'm having quite a bit of fun with a starting radius of 2. Maybe I'm ClaustOrephil.

3 months ago
(updated 3 months ago)

I mean, I'd look at decoupling starting radius and distance scaling after a certain point, but I've already got a major refactor ahead due to the upcoming expansion, and I need to go through my code, break it all down, and write it all out step by step so I can replicate it with the new noise system in Factorio 2.0 and have the mod out as fast as possible. Plus life. Sorry.

For what it's worth, you can change map generation settings using Lua code using the /c command, and these changes do not have to obey the usual expected upper and lower bounds. You can jack up ore rates beyond 600% or below 17%. This won't be retroactive unless you use /c to regenerate existing chunks, however.

3 months ago

Oh, that's very interesting. On what basis are you preparing for 2.0? Is there already an alpha for mod developers? I want that too for my mods!

3 months ago

I will make one last attempt to convince you.

The values for frequency and size are ignored in the resource generation of Claustorphobic, I assume.
How about taking the product of the three values as richness?

3 months ago
(updated 3 months ago)

Oh, that's very interesting. On what basis are you preparing for 2.0? Is there already an alpha for mod developers? I want that too for my mods!

Nope. I don't have source access, but ClaustOrephobic's internals are kinda convoluted and messy, so I need to straighten it out in preparation to rewrite on day 1. I can make guesses from what's in the FFF, but that's about it.

The values for frequency and size are ignored in the resource generation of Claustorphobic, I assume.
How about taking the product of the three values as richness?

I do. Size and Frequency both affect coverage, (how often a given ore appears) and Richness affects the richness. I can look at making that change affect richness as well, but then that double dips when unequally boosting Sizes and Frequencies.

I'll throw a setting in that just adds a global coefficient to things, if that'll solve this. Anything too much more complicated is more than I'd like to do at this point.

3 months ago

The setting has been released in v1.1.8.

3 months ago

Size and Frequency both affect coverage, (how often a given ore appears) ...

If I had known that, I wouldn't have insisted like that. That would also solve the problem.
But thanks for this solution anyway. It's definitely useful if you want to set the effort required for hand mining. That is for example interesting when the water point is outside the starting radius.

3 months ago

Size and Frequency both affect coverage, (how often a given ore appears) ...

If I had known that, I wouldn't have insisted like that. That would also solve the problem.
But thanks for this solution anyway. It's definitely useful if you want to set the effort required for hand mining. That is for example interesting when the water point is outside the starting radius.

To be clear, it's a relative effect. If you set all the ores to +200% size, +200% frequency, it will look the same as +0% +0%. It's purely for skewing the distribution of ores overall.

New response