Stationary Fusion Reactors

Supernet2 has modified this to support factorio 1.x Builds. Original Description is as follows from original creator eradicator, 'wondered why you can't use those fancy fusion reactors from your armor to power your factory? Well, now you can! Everybody can do solar farms, but can YOU afford fusion farms?'

Content
3 years ago
Power

i Make compatible with Extended Vanilla: Fusion Reactors

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I love this mod, thanks so much for taking the time to right an inexplicable wrong.

A couple of quick suggestions borne of my, frankly, ridiculous wealth of blue chips:

• Compatibility with Extended Vanilla: Fusion Reactors (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/more-fusion-reactors). The highest tier provides 2.5MW per PFR. (Not all tiers increase power output; some shrink the entity footprint in the personal equipment grid.) At the moment it stops working at Tier 3 with a no power indicator, and also, plopped entity info reads "Provides 1 of clean fusion power".

• Maybe shrink the plopped entity a little? It's a touch domineering upon the landscape.

• I'm not sure if it's implementable in code, but: a mounting station ("tower of power") into which PFRs can be slotted, kinda like modules in an AM, which then increases the power output of the structure accordingly. Why build out when you can build up?

Thank you!

EDIT: Just noticed your comment on this thread at EV: Fusion Reactors: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/more-fusion-reactors/discussion/5a8c624e0baafd000b85ed66

3 years ago

Already been done. I've updated alot in the mod to support other things. But like the prior guy, im trying to figure out how to get it to connect to and generate power.

Tested this to actually show wrong values of power output when its correctly showing up to 3.5MW of power output (per the graph) but on ingame display. Trying to determine how to shrink icons with out screwing up the graphics. Added a additional mod support under change logs it should show now some portable burner thing that works now. Haven't figured out yet how to make it so that just like in suit/vehicle grid, the mod would still require fuel for said item(s). Fusion reactor was setup specifically to require no fuel. Just a novice here but re-learning it, might end up having to rebuild the code entirely to correct somethings but im so lazy that its already done so why put forth more effort. All in favor of working with others to take apart tid bits and rebuild it to be more functional. Might actually merge a ton of mods together and re-write them to all be a All in one pack.

Oh and yeah welcome, the Fusion Reactors that diego made he made a 6th tier reactor, so i've added that in as well.

Also the request you made is doable, i just don't know how, so i've basically used deployable structures from vehicle grid combine with bunker mod and slotted in power to have it effectively broadcast the power (as your suggesting).

Oh also satisfaction how to test it, bleh might be easier to show in server how it gauges never really considered such since i use these all privately, still trying to figure out how to correct issues in like 50+ other mods i use that im updating from build 13.X to current build (and correcting issues that are caused with all the other mods). :/

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Im leaving a server up named "supernet2 and friends" public with mods i either custom rework, or mods i update/maintain, and maps i play, gonna eventually make it a clustorio server so that i can basically have different servers, with rockets serving as a shuttle system from server A to Server B, etc... and keeping everything intact, like visiting a new planet. My current stop go is to use new game + or warptario/mobile factory to teleport into prior saved worlds with all assets, but clustorio seems to be the most stable method amongst my server VM's.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I love this mod, thanks so much for taking the time to right an inexplicable wrong.

Eh. You could've said something. In case you didn't notice "lack of community interest" was among the main reasons I stopped. The other being the very much not "inexplicable" lack of API features to make the thing less of an ugly hack.

3 years ago

I've always been interested. Your more than welcome to take it over and bring it back under your wing if you want, but im already looking at re-integrating it or re-writing it if i have to to correct other things. Just lazy and didn't want to do it myself. Maybe not enough community support but i was interested. It was abandoned and i discussed with you and others. So i left it at that. If your gonna provide updates to it and make it work again, absolutely, as theres a cleaner way to update the energy system vs the hacky way you did it. I just haven't gotten around to doing it myself simply because, like you not enough interest, but i know i was interested so i updated some things. The concept is the real bread and butter though of this mod. Anywho feel free to take it back over, just let me know so i can dump it off back to you. Corrected some audio streams (personally correct the .ogg file), and a few graphical issues i found in build 17.x and 18.x. Haven't repacked any new graphics (as i personally prefered the original graphics back on 16.x ) but since it wasn't my own i couldn't just out right steal it or claim ownership to it exclusively. lul Left all comments and notes where neccessary of whos work and who did what where.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

as theres a cleaner way to update the energy system vs the hacky way you did it

It's a simple entity. What exactly do you percieve as a "hack" about that? Looking at the "fix" in your code i'm suprised it even loads at all given that you specify the buffer_capacity with the wrong SI unit.

3 years ago

I feel like this is gonna turn into arguing. To me the energy clean up attempts are to a degree broken on the newer versions not the older versions (at 16.X where everything updated just fine). Isn't simple to me because its not my forte. So thats why im saying hacky as multiple attempts and both are failed attempts(on build 17 and 18x havent tried a re-write yet on 1.x). Is this your way of saying you'll update to support on newer builds? Or just to get into a online argument over wording?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

This is my way of saying "i have no fucking idea what you're even talking about because none of the words you use exist in factorio entity prototypes.". So i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and a chance to explain, because i don't see anything "hacky" about the old entity (given the limitations of the api). I can't "argument" over something i don't understand. I.e. what do you even mean when you say "energy system" or "energy clean up"...

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I just did what worked thats pretty much it. I tried building a automated method that would do clean up for me based on what i did understand for a variety of mods but as a all in one, drop into a visual basics .zip let it pull all the files out and automate corrections where neccesary and let it spit out the working corrected .zip file. Didn't work out well because pathing and graphically became a bigger issue than i anticipated. So i just went the less easy way(but manageable way), manually modifying the contents, file paths, structure, and entities itself. I personally want this mod to work because i use it in all of my playthroughs of factorio, mid or late end game, or coupled with over 150+ mods now, with 50 i am maintaining through cobbling together what i understand what does work and doesn't. Im not getting as indepth into it more than, code that works, use it, if it doesn't try to understand, and adapt it or re-write it entirely if not much effort required. Its nothing more or less honestly.

Edit: When im saying energy clean up, or not calculating, its calculating right but visually it is not showing the numbers> i don't think i understand the portion of display and how it displays in the overall scheme. But when i look at the power draw (.eprom) it seems to be working with out issue, despite having incorrect code that normally would normally fail. So i just left it. Gonna have to made a video or screenshare to make sense of it since i feel like im lacking in explaining it through text too you.

Edit: Energy system im refereing to the electric. Sorry.

This is the part of the code i am not understanding.

energy_source = {
  type = "electric",
  -- buffer_capacity = eprot.power,
  buffer_capacity = "10.0MW", --attempt to fix no power icon
  -- render_no_power_icon = false, --bleh
  usage_priority = "primary-output",
  input_flow_limit = "0kW",
  output_flow_limit = eprot.power,
  },
-- energy_production = eprot.power,
energy_production = "1.0MW", --attempt to fix no power icon
energy_usage = "0kW",
-- picture = eprot.sprite,

Maybe easier to discuss using another means, do you have discord?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Nothing of that even relates to my question. I don't care how you "cobble together" your own private mod pack.

Above you said:

theres a cleaner way to update the energy system vs the hacky way you did it

Which sounds to me like you're saying that you know how to possible improve my old code. So i asked what that possible improvement might be so i can apply it. But your answer doesn't contain any information related to that. TL;DR: Please describe exactly what you think can be improved and how. In LUA please, because factorio doesn't use "visual basic zip".

3 years ago

Ok, so now you edited your post...

(.eprom)

What? Please, take the time to check what you write before you post it.

Eh, i thought you know how to improve it. Now you're saying you don't even understand it. And also that's 10+ lines. Am i supposed to guess which one you mean? My guess is that you're not happy with the entity_info that is shown when you mouse over the reactor entity?

3 years ago

Thats what im saying i don't want to do. Re-write it because i don't know where it doesn't work requires i take the time to sit down and understand it work. I have a idea but until i explore that idea i can't just give you a instant answer man. Thats what im stating from the beginning way back a few posts. I think theres a way when i find it you'll be the first to know. Cleaner as in updates the graphic correctly and ingame placed entities show the right values instead of the wrong values (at least for this specific mod). If your this adamant just explore rewriting how the portion of the code mentioned lists and updates the values based on the power item its associating with.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Ok, so now you edited your post...

(.eprom)

What? Please, take the time to check what you write before you post it.

Eh, i thought you know how to improve it. Now you're saying you don't even understand it. And also that's 10+ lines. Am i supposed to guess which one you mean? My guess is that you're not happy with the entity_info that is shown when you mouse over the reactor entity?

Not just that reactor its any editional item i add into it. Thats pretty much it, the problem i see is that the values do not update (the power bar) bleh ill take a screenshot to upload here and show.

Edit: Okay so heres whats going on. Power output: 1.0 MW is the highest that will be acknowledged by the mod.

If anything exceeds 1.0 MW no more power is drawn it can't push that regardless of mod or customized power installable.

Energy, it always says energy Capacity is at 167 kJ no matter what. In the ingames Power management UI says the maximum power being drawn is 1.0 MW. Now this is only with one mod, other mods that add additional fusion reactors do not adjust in power value. I guess the fix would be to manually define them so they work in the mod itself?

3 years ago

Thats what im stating from the beginning way back a few posts.

No. What you actually said is:

But now I understand that you have no idea what you're doing and aren't even willing to "take the time" to understand.

3 years ago

But now I understand that you have no idea what you're doing and aren't even willing to "take the time" to understand.

Nope not with all that the mod is doing. Which is why i asked, are you taking it back over so its supported on 1.x? or you just here to argue? Which from the looks of it yeah. To argue, or gloat. When i do re-write it you'll know too. Assuming someone doesn't beat me to the punch. I mean i know your not so i got plenty of time right? Since build 16.x i believe actually. It is what it is man. Petty stuff. When i do update i feel you'll be the first to know this i can say confidently after all. Gonna lock this thread though to prevent further "arguing/gloating/insulting" because thats not what the factorio community is about last i recall. I could be wrong though.

Worth mentioning i stated the very obvious, i am being as humanly lazy as possible to "take the time" on it unless absolutely neccessary. But again plenty of time, i don't see you updating correcting, or unabandoning the mod. So yea. Using a MIT license which gives free reign effectively as well for management so long as there is no theft or lack of giving credit where its due so yea.

This thread has been locked.