Spidertron Logistics System

Adds Spidertron requester and provider depots. Allows you to create a fully automated Spidertron logistics system. UPS optimized.

Content
1 year, 9 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Logistics

i Some improvements

3 years ago

Great idea for a mod. I have to admit I didn't get to try it out yet, but I will have a use for it in my next game.

From what I read on the information page though, I had some ideas: * Make the item dropoff rate configurable (disregard please if it already is) * Let the requester chest not use the nearest spidertron to itself, but the nearest one to the provider chest which offers its materials. It makes no sense for the spidertron to have to take the route twice if one is already near the departure point

3 years ago

I will do your second suggestion

3 years ago

I don't want to do the first suggestion because I dislike configs unless they are essential

I can look into buffing the transfer rate if you think it's too low

3 years ago

It turns out that it always used the closest requester, and the description is just wrong

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Yeah, I do think the transfer rate should be buffed if the goal is medium range bulk transfer, especially for people using modded high tier belts...
I'm not sure how difficult this would be, but ideally I would like to see them separated from the bot's logistic network, so that you can easily use the spidertrons to deliver to an area where bots then take the resources to the final destination. Alternatively, somehow limiting bots to only servicing requests that are up to 2 stacks of an item or something would be helpful. (Based off of request size, not needed items count, if that makes sense...)

I see this as kinda the ultimate use case, with a nice, clean separation of concerns:
Trains deliver resources to the base > Spidertrons deliver resources to each section of the base > Belts deliver items to high throughput things like furnaces/assemblers > Bots deliver items to low throughput things like other assemblers.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Oops...

3 years ago

I think both of these concerns are already addressed somewhat

1. Transfer rate doesn't really make spidertrons weaker at longer ranges. The only thing it effects is direct insertion from requesters into machines
    If you want higher transfer rate, just build more requesters.
    If you are talking about high speed modded belts, spidertrons can already deposit a stack per second which is also usually 100 items per second. There aren't too many mods that go above this, and I think that 1 requester per compressed belt is a good ratio

2. In early versions of the mod, spidertron buildings had infinite range and didn't care about the bot network
    I had to change this because Spidertrons from one area of the map were making unwanted journeys, and I needed more control over the network

I had a choice here; either separate spidertron networks based on the bot network, or the electric grid, or my own solution
I settled on the bot network since it makes the most scene thematically, but imo balance comes before themes so I'm willing to change this if you have a better idea

Also, spidertrons can make journeys through un-networked area as long as the requester and provider are both connected to the same network

2 years ago

It would be great if copy shortcut (ctrl+c) may select spidertron beacon

2 years ago

It would be great if copy shortcut (ctrl+c) may select spidertron beacon and destroyed beacons or even a bit damaged beacons are not getting repaired by bots

2 years ago

I'm sorry but this is not possible. It's a engine limitation

New response