Reverse Factory

by Kryzeth

Reverse Factory machine will recycle (uncraft) nearly any item placed inside. Supports the recycling of most, if not all, modded items. Fully featured integration with Bobs Mods, Industrial Revolution, and Fantario (independently, not simultaneously)

Content
27 days ago
0.13 - 1.1
Manufacturing

b [Not my bug] Recycling at differing speeds

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I see some odd behavior of the t4 recycler. I think sometimes it recycles items way faster than it should. I can provide you a 15 MB savegame where this behavior can be observed, if you want. I have other mods installed and the game is a scenario, but I can not think of anything that makes the crafting/recycling speed differ on the map. So I think it is the recycler.

The setting is this:
- Reverse Factory v7.0.0
- t4 recycler
- 6x mk2 speed modules
- one blue belt with loader in
- three blue belts with loaders out
- recycled items: ass mk3, ass mk2, ass mk1, accumulators
- The 4 item types arrive at the loader unsorted. Thus the recycler sometimes loads only one but sometimes also 27 items of a given type, depending if more items of the type are available for loading.

The observation is as follows:
When several items are loaded, the first item of the batch is processed at a much slower speed than the rest of the batch. Eg 13 ass mk3 are loaded, then the first one takes 2 secs to be recycled, but the other 12 are recycled in like 0.1 seconds each. Sometimes even all of the items of a batch are processed with "light speed". Taking out the speed modules makes this behavior clearly visible. In this setting, this happens only with the ass mk 1,2 + 3 but not with the accumulators.

First I did not know if that is a feature or a bug, so I read some other discussions here. I read about that there are min recycling times. Also if the base recipe crafting time is 0.5 seconds the mod bumps up the recyclign time to a min of 1 or 2 seconds or something like that. Might it be, that the mod erroneously applies the min recycling time only to the first item of a batch and only some times? Haha, what a guess! The observation, that the accus are all processed at the slower speed seems to support this. They have a base recipe crafting time of 10 secs and nothing needs to be bumped up, I assume.

4 years ago

Hmm, that's... pretty weird and unintended behavior.

For reference, the current formula should be:

Any recipe that qualifies for T1 Recycling (which should include all machines and items that don't require fluids AND don't allow for productivity modules) will be set to one second per craft if it was originally lower than one, and anything higher remains the same.

Assembling machines 1-3 all have a base crafting speed of 0.5, so they'll have a recycling speed of 1, with no other effects. Accumulators have a base crafting speed of 10, so they'll have a recycling speed of 10. These recipe speeds are set while loading up the game itself, and can't be modified during gameplay or when loading a map.

However, there is ONE setting from this mod that runs during gameplay, and that would be the automatic ingredient push setting (or something to that effect), which checks every so often if there's an item in the machine, with a recipe that creates multiple products (such as yellow belt crafting in pairs) and is missing enough to recycle, then it will automatically push the item into its output without recycling it, allowing for other items to trickle in.

The problem would be that I had to make the function "wait" for a second or so, to give inserters time to load the items into the machine. Otherwise, it would almost always spit out items faster than they could be input to be recycled. My logic only runs when an assembler has items, and is ready to recycle, but isn't recycling; THEN it waits, and THEN it might start crafting.

I'd suggest disabling this setting, see if it helps. Otherwise, there might be something else fishy going on.

4 years ago

I tried. It is the same with push disabled. I uploaded the savegame to wetransfer. The link is valid for 1 week.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/306076d3e5ab4027d2164dc929ba20a420200130035334/bdb5a597280efd910d62e8180c2cccc420200130035334/a78dac

The only additional mod you really need in this save is the warehousing mod. Take a look. Something is fishy.

4 years ago

Oh, I think I found - my - error. The icon that is displayed in the recycler is not the item currently processed, but the next in line. So when the currently processed item is an accu and the next item waiting is an assembler, then the item in the queue (the assembler) is displayed for the time it takes to process the accu, but the next assembler in line is just displayed as long as it takes the first assembler in the batch. ...

Ok, ... that was some missunderstanding on my side, about what the displayed icon signifies. Confusion Solved. Haha.

Great mod. Thanks a lot. Sorry for the commotion.

4 years ago

Just downloaded your save and... wow, that's really weird. That sounds like a base game Factorio bug, since my recycler is technically just a modified furnace. In vanilla, most furnaces are generally smelting the same thing, so this kind of thing could easily go unnoticed.

But yeah, it's a totally visual bug; the icon on the furnace doesn't update until at least one item has been processed. Wonder if it's something to bring up to the devs or not, since it only applies to modded. I'll add a more permanent link to your save here, just in case: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80772

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

If you refer to the progress bar showing the progress on a different item than the one on the displayed icon, it is the behavior of a vanilla furnace. I just assured myself of this. If I insert 5 iron plates into a vanilla furnace, they vanish and the progress bar shows the progress on them being converted to steel. If I then insert 2 stone into the same furnace befor the conversion of iron plates to steel bar finishes, the icon for stone is shown, although the progress bar refers to the conversion of iron to steel. The displayed icon always refers to the item waiting to be processed next and the progressbar refers to the item currently being processed.

So I don't see a bug here. It was just a visual misunderstanding on my part. The reason for this misunderstanding was, as you pointed out, that usually furnaces smelt the same items types. But the recycler "furnace" in this case "smelts" different item types in random order and random batch size and very different smelting times. So, not used to this view, it appears, that the first item in an assembler batch is processed much slower than the rest of the batch, where truely the progress bar shows the processing of the last accu item.

Unless I misunderstood your last post, I think the bug report will rightfully be treated as "Not a bug".

Sorry again for the confusion, my misunderstanding and my report to you caused. It seems, sometimes it needs the written word and reflection to sort out my own confusion. :-D

4 years ago

Hm, yeah, not sure about that...

What I saw looked like a bug, where the machine would process a stack, having an icon of that stack, then it would start to process a new stack, but the icon of the old stack would still be shown on the machine, until at least one of the new stack completed processing.

So instead of showing what's "in process", it showed the last item that was "already processed".

But maybe I was just misinterpreting what I was seeing.

New response