Railway Motor Car

by S3bulon

Adds a railway motor car as an equipment to ride the railway without placing a locomotive manually.

Content
7 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Trains

g Adjustable settings

2 years ago

Could you make acceleration and max speed adjustable? I really think at least the nuclear locomotive should have a greater acceleration and max speed because of its lower mass.

2 years ago

No, sorry. For balancing reasons it is only as fast as the vanilla nuclear train. And the acceleration is already really high - it takes less than a second to reach full speed.

2 years ago

I understand that but right now Im the slowest locomotive of all my trains. I have like really expensive trains that can go at 700 km/h or something like that and I just feel slow.

Could you at least add a something new like a new item that lets me introduce the locomotive that I want in a grid of some sort and use it in the mod?

2 years ago

Which mod do you use?

It is not possible to change the max speed at runtime (it is loaded as a "prototype definition" and then unmodifiable), but I could try to add modded locomotives as motorcar-variants.

2 years ago

This is the mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/HighSpeedTrain

Could you try to detect every locomotive and automatically produce the respective motorcar? Something like this, every locomotive should be on the game settings and if you check the X locomotive there would be the equivalent motorcar. Its just and idea dont even know if its possible.

Thanks for this mod :)

2 years ago

Other mods' trains can be turned into motor cars with version 0.3.0

The acceleration is unchanged for trains below 1500 km/h, and doubled for those above.
It cannot be changed dynamically because the power is not numerical but a string (in MW).

2 years ago

This new version (0.3.0) don't let my game start! It don't even load to the main menu! This is part of the log:

(.....)
84.807 Error ModManager.cpp:1578: Error while loading item prototype "railway-motor-car-ee-super-locomotive" (item): Key "icon" not found in property tree at ROOT.item.railway-motor-car-ee-super-locomotive
Modifications: Railway Motor Car › Extended Descriptions
85.120 Initial atlas bitmap size is 16384
85.120 Created atlas bitmap 2048x1728 [icon, not-compressed, mipmap, linear-minification, linear-magnification, linear-mip-level]
85.128 Texture processor created (2048). GPU accelerated compression Supported: yes, Enabled: yes/yes. Test passed. YCoCgDXT PSNR: 35.83, BC3 PSNR: 33.82
85.146 Parallel Sprite Loader initialized (threads: 7)
85.209 Sprites loaded
85.220 Generated mipmaps (5) for atlas [0] of size 2048x1728
85.221 Custom mipmaps uploaded.
85.226 Factorio initialised
85.234 Mods to disable:Failed to load mods: Error while loading item prototype "railway-motor-car-ee-super-locomotive" (item): Key "icon" not found in property tree at ROOT.item.railway-motor-car-ee-super-locomotive
Modifications: Railway Motor Car › Extended Descriptions

Mods to be disabled:
• railway-motor-car (0.3.0)
• extended-descriptions (1.0.16)
99.391 Quitting: user-quit.
99.537 Steam API shutdown.
99.542 Goodbye

Thanks

2 years ago

Instead of creating new equipments, why not use only one type of equipment and let it be stacked in the user's grid, like the 'Jetpack' mod? The more equipment the player has on the grid, the faster (speed and acceleration) it becomes!
I also think it should expend user electricity, to limit the player a bit!

Thanks.

2 years ago

One way to change acceleration and speed at runtime is with hidden fuel items that the mod puts in the locomotive based on how many equiments you have.

Another way would be to have a startup setting that makes data-final-fixes check all the locomotive prototypes and make the motorcar match the fastest one (maybe exclude ee-super-locomotive!).

2 years ago

Since the recipe is quite cheap, it would overpower the vanilla train really fast.
Currently, you have to build the mod-train and then turn it to a motor car. And if you use overpowered mod-trains, then you can also use overpowered motor cars.

2 years ago

Error from last update: https://i.imgur.com/MNoOwnz.png

2 years ago

@victordlp8: which mods do you use? There is a locomotive with a simplyfied pictues-definition.

2 years ago

One way to change acceleration and speed at runtime is with hidden fuel items that the mod puts in the locomotive based on how many equiments you have.

Another way would be to have a startup setting that makes data-final-fixes check all the locomotive prototypes and make the motorcar match the fastest one (maybe exclude ee-super-locomotive!).

'Jetpack' do this at a runtime (change speed and acceleration) depending on the quantity of items you put in the equipment grid!

2 years ago

Anyway, is it possible to put a setting to enable or not the custom locomotives from other mods?
Some locomotives get the wrong icon (I think the mod changes the icon using tint instead of creating an icon of its own!)
The mod with the wrong icons is: 'Battery Locomotive' (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BatteryLocomotive)

Thanks.

2 years ago

Just released 0.3.2

@Dominiquini: fixed the icons, now the original icons are used. And I don't think I implement a configuration for now.

@victordlp8: somehow, none of these mods was the cause. I fixed the exception, and also started logging the locomotives which are used as motor cars.
I hope that helps.

New response