Quality of Life research

Adds bonuses and optionally research for bigger bags (more inventory space), movement/walking/running speed, character hand crafting speed, long reach (optional far resource reach), and player mining speed. Use settings to choose which ones you want, either through research or by just choosing a value yourself.

Utilities
1 year, 2 months ago
0.15 - 1.1

i [New mod + Implemented] More hotkeys, specifically move speed bonus

4 years ago

I want to be able to press keys to increase and decrease my move speed; decrease '[', increase ']'. I find myself adjusting this a lot.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

This mod works force-wide (ie. all players on the same team in multiplayer), so having a hotkey like that would result in quite awkward situations.

However, I like the idea of having this per-player, and it doesn't seem like there's currently a mod that does that, so if you're interested, I could consider making a new mod that adds this functionality.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Actually, I have an even better idea now. It may not be possible, or it might be really tricky… movement acceleration. Small movements, slow, reasonable. The longer you move, the faster you go up to a max speed. This means I don’t have to press a button and my actions aren’t affecting others.

4 years ago

That's a pretty good idea. I'll see what I can do :).

4 years ago

Alright, I got something done, take a look and see if this is roughly what you had in mind: Adaptive Movement Speed

4 years ago

Yea, that works pretty good, sweet!

4 years ago

You probably noticed with high run speeds, you can run through walls and building and stuff... If you stop in them and your speed is acceleration based... I'm stuck, ROFL. Now we need an unstuck mod/feature. If player is running for a long time and not moving(stuck)...

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Uff, if you're unable to move at all, that's probably a Factorio bug.

But if you can wiggle, you can build up your movement speed again.

And if you can't wiggle, you can always adjust your base speed in the mod settings.

4 years ago

As for the skipping over things like walls, yeah, it's a quirk in Factorio's movement code.
Sadly mods can't realistically modify your character's movement speed (since all the client-side prediction for multiplayer is done in C++, and inaccessible to mods), so this isn't something that a mod could fix, even if they wanted to.

It's probably been reported more than once, but I'm pretty sure the dev's opinion on it is "won't fix", one example:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=26082

4 years ago

I've just been made aware by someone that a similar mod already exists :/. Not sure how I feel about having unknowingly cloned someone else's mod, but it is how it is I suppose.

4 years ago

Hmm, should we try it / switch?

4 years ago

You can always try it out, and see which one you like better. However, it doesn't have settings or a shortcut bar button.

3 years ago

I've been using yours, I really enjoy the CTRL+Spacebar hotkey, thanks again.

New response