HeroTurrets

Turrets are built using salvaged self-learning AI tech from your ship allowing them to get deadlier with practice. Extends turrets via ranking system based on kills. Turrets generated so not limited to vanilla, identifiable by overlaid rank insignia. Rank buffs individual turrets.

Content
8 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Combat

i Scale by type

3 years ago

I will be giving this a try, but something stands out to me that could enhance the way this mod concept plays out.

Different types of turrets garner kills at different rates, all else being equal. Add in how Artillery gets kills relative to a Gun Turret and it really skews the whole balance you might benefit from.

The current kill count to promotions should be only for Gun/Laser turrets. Flamers and Artillery really should get much higher, or perhaps higher scaled kill count requirements. A frontline Flamer can quickly start laughing when you say things like '100,000 kills only' if that spot of defense is constantly swarmed. They rack up kills like pouring gas on a fire, you could say. A mere 5000 kills to a 50% range boost is basically cheating.

Artillery has an entirely different role, as well as capacity. Harder to get ranks makes sense, particularly due to the range boost and possibility of a long life to rack up kills. Rapid enemy expansion rates only enhance things here. The range boost is also dramatically more impactful, but rotation is not.

You should also take a long look, and get feedback on, potentially adjusting the type of boost a turret gets based upon what kind it is, but this is more dynamic code effort and adds in a lot of variables. A generic boost is fine, but it will never truly resonate as much as it could.

3 years ago

Great idea. How to implement, may need to come up with a metric to consider type, firing rates and ammo damage. Could implement a setting for type then work out the more dynamic version later.

3 years ago

For initial ideas here, you could ask for suggestions of which turrets will be best enhanced by what boosts. Rotation speed in general is not really a big deal, unless it is like the K2 Turret cannon turret. The impact with the rest is very minimal, and should be getting compensated for via numbers of turrets anyway. The effect of boosts should be of value, as opposed to something few would even notice.

I sometimes also have standard gun turrets rack up over 50,000 kills, so making 'General' rank ridiculously powerful should come with a ridiculous kill count. A count which would get boosted by preceding ranks upgrading the turret's killing power anyway.

In a sense of lore, you could comment each gun has a self-learning AI scripting installed that gets better as it learns to operate itself.

3 years ago

Few, I re-read the last part. I though you actually wanted me to implement.
Like the concept.

3 years ago

I think a scale setting would do for kill coint modification. That way its user preference and still need to work out a metric to apply on top.

3 years ago

Might take some time to come up with an algorithm to do the legwork. Then a couple scaling settings users can change would reduce your potential headaches.

Really, I am just offering you some ideas. What you decide to run with is ultimately up to you. I just have a sense the balance would come together better with more variance than a flat system.

Best of luck in making bugs explode by code.

3 years ago

adding scaling settings per type, you AI lore idea and the ability to disable artillery turrets

3 years ago

update either today or tomorrow

New response